Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Did the Reds make a player move today?

Did the Reds make a player move today?

Was Franciso Cabrera called up from Louisville? Hal McCoy's article makes it look that way.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Did the Reds make a player move today?

I hope not. Francisco Cabrera retired in 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post

You're right. I was thinking of Jolbert Cabrera. So what in the world is Francisco Cabrera doing in the Reds clubhouse?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

lol. Francisco Cabrera had that crazy stance.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

I think he was thinking of Francisco Cordero. He has made that mistake once before. It happens to veteran baseball men all the time.
    In Boston, Jerry Remy calls Alex Cora, Joey Cora nearly every day.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    So should have Hal.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

How many Cabreras are now playing in MLB though?! I think there are a lot (I can think of like four offhand) but the Reds beat guys should know we don't have any on our current 25 man roster, LOL

This reminds me of Baseball Tonight when the guys play "Name That Molina" during the highlights, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    So should have Hal.
    Why all the hatred for Hal. He's been working hard forever, studied under Ritter Collet and Si Burick two hall of famers and made the hall himself. Dayton, Ohio is the only city to not have a MLB team and have three HOF's. He's battled a terrible eye disease and still works his tail off every day.

Seems pretty silly to disrespect a guy who has seen more baseball, known more great players and can still stand and be respected by the players. Marge once kicked him out of the press box for dissing her.

Whether he still has it or not is always debatable, but he at least deserves his proper due for giving his all for our favorite team.

Hal McCoy is my favorite beat writer. Period. He fat fingers in his blog sometimes, but it's NOT edited by an editor, nor does he even have to do it. He does it because he enjoys it. People give him so much crap for silly mistakes all the time. People also make fun of him for having poor eyesight, as the result of a stroke behind his eye.

Are you kidding me?

If you seriously thought Hal meant Francisco Cabrera, then either you honestly believe a player who retired in 1993 came back out of nowhere and signed with the Reds, or you just enjoy heckling Hal. I believe a majority of you fall into the latter category.

I happen to have had the pleasure of hanging out with Hal a few times in the 90's. Each time he spent half the night making the most offensive, insulting jokes about Marge, all too racy to tell here. I have had the upmost respect for him ever since.

Hal is a truly awesome, very down to earth guy, a great drinking buddy. The Reds fans are very lucky to have him cover their team.

My issue with Hal is that he is no longer very good, and needs to move on. I know a Hal McCoy gets to choose when he moves on, but it's time. Rumor has it that Cox Publications tried valiantly to convince Hal to make 2007 his last year and backfill him with C.Trent Rosecreans, but Hal would have no part of it.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

When speaking on Hal Mccoy, and I often am critical of writers or blogger types; the dude gets good info and interesting info. He's old and still has his nose to the grindstone and a great pulse on the team. He is my #1 source (other than this board) for Reds info

edit: after that would come John Fay's blog.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

My issue with Hal is that he is no longer very good, and needs to move on. I know a Hal McCoy gets to choose when he moves on, but it's time. Rumor has it that Cox Publications tried valiantly to convince Hal to make 2007 his last year and backfill him with C.Trent Rosecreans, but Hal would have no part of it.
    It's time for him to move on because you say it is? Because you say he is no longer any good? And sorry, but rumors simply prove nothing.

The fact that he is still pretty popular proves otherwise. I know the first thing I look forward to every morning during baseball season are Hal's columns.

C. Trent Rosecreans is alright, but he's no Hal McCoy. Nobody is as opinionated and honest like Hal is. You could probably compare him to Marty and wouldn't be off base at all.

I check Hal's blog more than anything. Fay's is decent for trade rumors and during the game, but when I want to down low, I read Hal's. He tells it like it is, no holds barred.

Also, Hal has by far the best relationship with the players and coaches of any of the beat writers, which is why he gets so many entertaining stories about what happens in the clubhouse and such. His articles have been filled with an inside look at the team for as long as I can remember. He also is a great storyteller, so even if he tells the same story that the others tell, Hal's is more fun to read.
    One story about Hal to give an idea of what a funny and irreverent guy he is. When Cox bought the Dayton Daily News, a reporter from another town's paper which was also owned by Cox asked Hal, "Hey Hal, is it true we both now work for Cox?" Without missing a beat, Hal replied, "Nope, I don't know how your paper works, but I work for money."
    Last edited by 757690; 05-17-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typos

Turn Off Ads?