Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hal's blog on Homer Bailey...

Hal's blog on Homer Bailey...

Wow...a scathing indictment of Bailey's attitude in Hal McCoy's blog if you haven't seen it:

And weíd all better shut up (me included) for now about bringing up Homer Bailey. He got beat up for the second straight time Friday night, walking six in five innings.

Our man who covers the Dayton Dragons, Marc Katz, visited Louisville recently and he asked Homer one question: ďHave you learned anything down here.Ē

Homerís answer was, ďNo,Ē and he walked away. End of interview. And thatís why Homer is still in Louisville and may remain there for a long time - or be traded.

Another story. I got this from two scouts and another impeccable source who saw it. On the day before a pitcher starts, he sits in the stands and charts the pitches of his teamís pitcher that night. It was Homerís turn to chart that night, but he was reading a hunting magazine most of the time and paying little attention to what was going on on the field.

Another scout who has watched him said his fastball is down three to four miles an hour and he canít throw it by anybody - in TRIPLE A! ďI saw him two starts ago and he acted as if he didnít care,Ē said the scout.

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hal's blog on Homer Bailey...

Already been discussed. Hal is about 2-3 days late on this one, like usual.

is it time to Edison Volquez Homer to Dayton???

So because Homer gave a curt answer to a dumb question will the Dayton Daily News now go all-negative, all the time on Homer.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Stupid question by a stupid reporter, I agree.

Myself, I'd probably give the same type of smart ass answer and walk off.

Its just more venom IMO.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Stupid question by a stupid reporter, I agree.

Myself, I'd probably give the same type of smart ass answer and walk off.

Its just more venom IMO.
    Agreed. I have been saying for days that the question would have gotten a completely different response if it were phrased 'what have you learned in your time in Louisville'.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    So because Homer gave a curt answer to a dumb question will the Dayton Daily News now go all-negative, all the time on Homer.
    I think that it has more to do with the performance outcomes of Homers lately than anything else. Major leaguers can hit his fast ball when he can get it over with his other complimentary pitches. Bailey needs more work or a change of scenery, I am guessing. Then again maybe Bailey feels that he was a better pitcher than Fogg or Belisle and others and is upset. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I think that it has more to do with the performance outcomes of Homers lately than anything else. Major leaguers can hit his fast ball when he can get it over with his other complimentary pitches. Bailey needs more work or a change of scenery, I am guessing. Then again maybe Bailey feels that he was a better pitcher than Fogg or Belisle and others and is upset. I don't know.
    Maybe he thought it was a stupid question, which, if phrased as written in the blog it was. There are other ways to ask that question other than "Did you learn anything down here."

One of my first jobs out of collage was a reporter. I was a sportswriter for a short time, working in NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA lockerrooms. If you go into a lockerroom right after a game, and a guy had a bad performance and you ask a snide question, be prepared for a not so kind response. I don't care if the athlete is 20 or 40.

I don't doubt that Homer needs some seasoning, and that his last couple starts have been disappointing. But the way that the media covers athletes these days leaves a lot to be desired. Then to rip the guy in a blog after the fact is classless.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    But the way that the media covers athletes these days leaves a lot to be desired. Then to rip the guy in a blog after the fact is classless.
    What makes it even better is that McCoy was not within 100 miles when that quote was made.

It is a dumb and ambiguous question that could be interpreted in different ways in which any given answer could be misconstrued. So his handling of the question is right in my perception. It is a baiting and ambiguous question where the writer was probably attempting to get a bigger story out of a slip of the tongue by Bailey when the writer might have had reason to believe that Hamilton was frustrated to begin with.

I don't think that Bailey is learning anything down there with Ted Power as his pitching coach, but I do think that he would have continued problems with the major league batters and their ability to hit a fastball. Bailey might be better served if the Reds did like St. Louis did with Wainright, I mean wasn't he spotted out of the bullpen at the mlb level to improve? and now is performing respectably? But the Reds have never mentioned that seriously as a possibility for the Bailey development. So we are left to assume that he is better served with time in the minors for a lack of any alternatives.

So does anyone actually think Homer is anywhere near coming up to Cincy? Because by looking at his numbers, he doesn't deserve to.

Why criticize Hal? he's just going by what he's hearing from other scouts and this isn't the first time we've heard about his attitude. How come we've never heard articles like this about Jay Bruce or any other prospect in Louisville? Did we ever hear anything like this from Cueto last year?

One good thing, I guess, is that he sounds like Volquez and Thompson before they were traded.

I just don't get why people want to criticize Hal instead of the guy in Louisville who isn't performing like he should.

I'm not worried about his attitude. Josh Beckett has a bad attitude too, but he isn't lambasted repeatedly in the media over it. I'm worred about his fastball, his strikeout numbers, and his HR rate.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I'm not worried about his attitude. Josh Beckett has a bad attitude too, but he isn't lambasted repeatedly in the media over it. I'm worred about his fastball, his strikeout numbers, and his HR rate.
    Beckett's attitude doesn't hurt what he does on the field.
    Last edited by reds44; 05-17-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    So does anyone actually think Homer is anywhere near coming up to Cincy? Because by looking at his numbers, he doesn't deserve to.

Why criticize Hal? he's just going by what he's hearing from other scouts and this isn't the first time we've heard about his attitude. How come we've never heard articles like this about Jay Bruce or any other prospect in Louisville? Did we ever hear anything like this from Cueto last year?

One good thing, I guess, is that he sounds like Volquez and Thompson before they were traded.

I just don't get why people want to criticize Hal instead of the guy in Louisville who isn't performing like he should.

Because Bailey failed in his limited first go around in the majors, and to the reporters who cover the Reds, that's like wearing a sign on your back that says "PILE ON!".
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Beckett's attitude doesn't huer what he does on the field.
    What makes you think Bailey's alleged bad attitude is what is causing his problems? I'd say that if the reports about his fastball velocity are accurate, we need not jump to the conclusion that his attitude is the reason he is not having sucess.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Turn Off Ads?