Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: parents wanting to cash-in on childs injury

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

parents wanting to cash-in on childs injury

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356505,00.html

Why don't they sue the owner of the park, the paint maker on the bat, the baseball manufacturer, the company the supplied the white dye used to dye the leather baseball, and the manufacturer of the uniform for not making the uniform thick enough.

Note: They make an under shirt for children to wear while playing baseball that has a pad to protect the heart. I guess the parents won't sue themselves...
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: parents wanting to cash-in on childs injury

I'm pretty much against a lot of lawsuits that are brought, but I have no problem with this. Aluminum bats are unsafe, above and beyond the normal amount of risk taken when playing sports. Any company that makes a product as unsafe as these bats is opening themselves up to a lawsuit.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

So how about then taking responsibility for the inherent risk you take playing any sport?

Its pretty well known the risks you take playing certain sports. Including baseball. Its why grown men don't play with aluminum bats in the show. It will kill someone.

Its unfortunate, but its a freak accident. This lawsuit is rediculous IMO. More frivilous suits from a suit happy generation.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Its unfortunate, but its a freak accident. This lawsuit is rediculous IMO. More frivilous suits from a suit happy generation.
    The hapless generation strikes again. Everyone knows the risks of playing sports, freak incidents or not. It's pretty synomomous. Sometimes people will get hurt, doesn't mean a law suit should start flying through and that everything should seriously take a back seat because of this.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Millions in medical care. Before I go off on these parents I have to say if they are under insured and the only way to get the funding needed to cover their son's medical care is to sue, you bet I'd sue. I'd do whatever it took to get the care my son needed, now and in the future. And, as a former little league coach I agree that aluminum bats and "hot" bats have no place at all in these leagues.

I understand that they need help paying for it. I agree with RedlegJake, that given the situation, I would sue. This isn't a case of cashing in, as much as it is a case of being able to care for their very injured son.

I don't believe suing the bat company is a good decision. As the OP said, there are many others who would be just as "responsible" as the bat manufacturer, including the parents themselves. The part that saddens me is that they're also suing the store that SOLD the bat. Why no mention of them suing the family of the boy that actually hit the ball? Or the salesman that sold them the "dangerous" item? I'm guessing because there's no money in it. As much as I want to sympathize with their situation, going after those with deep pockets just seems, well, greedy.

The bat company won't simply roll over for a demand for cash (and open themselves up for countless numbers of lawsuits) so the parents will have to show direct negligence or that the product is defective and I would guess they won't be able to do that. And IF the parents win their suit, be prepared for Little League Baseball to make other parents jump through tons more hoops in order to shield themselves from future lawsuits. While the lawsuit has the appearance of caring for an injured son, it won't end with them receiving cash. It will have far-reaching consequences if they manage to win the case.

So we ban aluminum bats at the little league level. Who pays for the wood bats?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

I can understand why the parents are doing this. But arent the kids covered under Little League organization insurance? I know for soccer and stuff the players, refs are covered (usually comes as part of the filling/signing up fee). If so I can see where they could sue Little League but the bat makers is just a stretch.

If someone came up with a bat that would be safer and cost effective (IE dont break like wood) then theyd be using them. IF someone could theyd have a cash cow in their hands.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    So we ban aluminum bats at the little league level. Who pays for the wood bats?
    The same people that pay for the aluminum bats...the players?
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 05-18-2008 at 12:51 AM.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

They're from NJ.

That's all I needed to read.

Simply make a deadened youth aluminum bat. Don't tell me that it can't be done - maybe the material would be a composite or an alloy or have a coating that deadens some of the energy down to the avg level of a wooden bat. Seems to me if they can make "hot" bats they can make safe bats for youth leagues and label them approved for youth leagues.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Simply make a deadened youth aluminum bat. Don't tell me that it can't be done - maybe the material would be a composite or an alloy or have a coating that deadens some of the energy down to the avg level of a wooden bat. Seems to me if they can make "hot" bats they can make safe bats for youth leagues and label them approved for youth leagues.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    They're from NJ.

That's all I needed to read.
    Like people outside of NJ don't file lawsuits like this.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post

Not just for youths though. They should make that sort of bat the standard in high school and college, too.

Turn Off Ads?