Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: thumbs still bad?

thumbs still bad?

Mesoraco: 3 for 22 at Dayton (all singles) following an underwhelming introduction last year.

the good news for Devin is that 1. everyone hits at Billings and 2. if he does NOT hit at Billings, then he can get an early start on alternative career plans

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: thumbs still bad?

If he was 12 for 22 with 4 HR, I wouldn't put him in the Hall of Fame. I'm not ready to call him a bust after 22 ABs, either.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

And just as it began with stubbs, so will it begin with devin. Welcome to redszone.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    And just as it began with stubbs, so will it begin with devin. Welcome to redszone.
    Mesoraco will get a lot more leniency than Stubbs ever did b/c of his age.

In a couple of years, that's when the fangs come out.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Mesoraco will get a lot more leniency than Stubbs ever did b/c of his age.

In a couple of years, that's when the fangs come out.
    You sure about that? Mesoraco has already been ripped because he:

is a HS catcher taken in the first round

from a HS in Pennsylvania

wasn't a college player

didn't perform in rookie ball while injured

isn't having the best week stretch ever and being told that if he doesn't hit in Billings he might as well call it a career.

22 ABs? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    22 ABs? Really?
    Seriously. This place makes me smile sometimes.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

He belongs at Billings anyway. His performance at Dayton doesn't influence me at all unless he starts killing the league..
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It is clear, that the reason the Reds pulled him from instructional/extended ST, (whatever it's called), to play at Dayton before the late June season start at Billings, was to get him in real action, and to see exactly where he is at, as he had bum thumbs, and couldn't really show much at GCL last yr. It looks like he exactly where he could be predicted, a year behind guys that have had playing time at the college level. We all would have loved to see him do well at Dayton, but fact is, he apparently isn't at that level,---yet. I give him 2 years to show what he can be. Keep in mind, he had limited hitting experience last year with the thumbs, so he really didn't get to work on "getting it", and he's very young compared to the rest in that league.

Yeah, I'm not jumping off the Mesaroco boat just yet. There is plenty of time yet for him to learn and adjust. I'll still bet he turns it on before the summer is over.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You sure about that? Mesoraco has already been ripped because he:

is a HS catcher taken in the first round

from a HS in Pennsylvania

wasn't a college player

didn't perform in rookie ball while injured

isn't having the best week stretch ever and being told that if he doesn't hit in Billings he might as well call it a career.
    I'm just glad Lincecum wasn't taken after him...

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He belongs at Billings anyway.
    That's my take too, but it's part of the problem with Mesoraco. He turns 20 in another month and, to date, it's hard to identify any part of his game that's ready for A ball.

So far he's all caution flags. I don't think it's unfair to acknowledge that or to be disappointed that the Reds' first round pick from last year so far hasn't done anything to justify his selection. Maybe it will all work out for the best, but, seeing that he was a risky selection in the first place, it would be nice if he could have a stretch where he isn't awful.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I think he was a crappy pick, but still, trying to make any sort of statement or draw any sort of overarching conclusions after TWENTY-TWO freakin' ABs is pretty damn weak.

Just for the sake of information, here's a list of first rounders drafted after Mesoraco who are looking fairly tasty at the moment:

Peter Kozma
    Tim Alderson
    Aaron Poreda
    James Simmons
    Rick Porcello
    Ben Revere

It's not a huge list, but there is one guy there who's probably already at top 10 prospect.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The guy I wanted, Kevin Ahrens, isn't exactly lighting it up either.

Mes is going to be a huge work in progress, and I agree, he should be doing the learning in a league that matches his skill level. He showed no reason to suggest he was ready for A-ball last year, and clearly that hasn't changed.

Turn Off Ads?