Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should KGJ be traded ASAP?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

72 77.42%
  • No.

21 22.58%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Should KGJ be traded ASAP?

Senor Votto

Re: Should KGJ be traded ASAP?

As much as I love Junior I had to vote yes. Once Griffey is gone we can only assume that the Reds would bring up Bruce. Bruce would immediately help the defense and offense. But as long as either Griffey or Patterson are on the team Bruce will be in Louisville. Can't really have 4 left handed outfielders on one team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Folks, 2008 is the swan song. I'm trying to enjoy it by understanding the guy's place in the game's history, coupled with the fact he grew up a member of the Reds family. He's a giant, and, in important ways, he's just as much ours as he is Seattle's.

For now, the fact that he's struggling to hit for power makes the countdown to 600 more interesting, I think. 1-2 HRs robbed as he sits stuck on 597. In a way, I hope he creeps up slowly and sits on 599 for the better part of a long homestand, then gets it at GAB.

I'm in the camp that agrees he needs to move on. Get to an AL club where DHing will save his legs and allow him to put up good #'s for a couple of years. In essence, I'm such a big fan of Jr. I realize trading him is the best for him, and the Reds.

I wonder how much his friends illness and death have weighed on him this year. He's very private about it...but it must be tough on him.

Remember what happened the last time the Reds parted ways with a Griffey mid-season......
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm sorry, but a .701 OPS from a guy giving you negative defensive value is awful. He has a negative VORP, which doesn't even touch on his defense. Of the 248 players with 100+ PA, Junior is 194th -- 25th among RF. That's awful.

I agree, he is slumping and is likely to rebound to something on the positive side of the ledger. But make no mistake, he has been awful so far this year. The Reds woe this year has been (in part) due to Junior's extremely limited defense range leading to extra hits and replacement level offense while batting 3rd.
    I don't have the stats, but I actually meant lately he's been better. He's hit some good lefties and a few timely hits for RBIs. I also saw him make a couple nice plays in the field, but alas agree his range has dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I'm in the camp that agrees he needs to move on. Get to an AL club where DHing will save his legs and allow him to put up good #'s for a couple of years. In essence, I'm such a big fan of Jr. I realize trading him is the best for him, and the Reds.
    With Tampa Bay in 1st place, I wonder if Jr. would veto a trade there. He'd be close to home, he could DH and mentor some of the young players.

If the Reds picked up some of the cash they might get a decent return as Tampa has a pretty stocked minor league system. We could throw in a reliever (Weathers) as well.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

With Gary Sheffield on the DL, I wonder if the Tigers would be interested?

The sooner the Reds can get him out of Cincinnati, the better...it's just time.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-28-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    With Gary Sheffield on the DL, I wonder if the Tigers would be interested?
    There are only a few teams that make sense for Jr - contender, needs DH/corner outfielder. Detroit is one of these. Even with Sheffield I think their left fielder is Marcus Thames.

I really don't see a fit for Jr anywhere ... he has been replacement level this season.

Turn Off Ads?