Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening"

Man Pills

Re: M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening"

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    It's fair to say that some of his scripts have been flawed, but you don't think he's a good director? I'd say he's one of the best, at least among mainstream filmmakers. I'm not even sure that his scripts are that much of a negative relatively speaking considering the amount of garbage that Hollywood excretes.
    I think the guy is pompous, dull garbage.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    There were a few early on in the beginning. But those moments ended as soon as "Those We Don't Speak Of" were shown walking around in awful porcupine suits.
    I agree for the most part, though I think the scene near the end of the movie in which one of the "monsters" finds Ivy in the woods was the scariest thing I've ever seen in a movie despite the fact that by that time you know (1) that it's just a costume and (2) who is in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think the guy is pompous, dull garbage.
    Scripts or direction?

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Scripts or direction?
    Mostly scripts. Some of the direction is nice, but the overall vision is just wankery.

There's a real "Emperor's New Clothes" appeal to his movies--like there is some deep subtext you could be getting, if only you were, I don't know, a novice film school student. Also, I feel like his movies can never quite settle on what they want to be, so they feel more like a "draft" than a narrative arc.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    No such thing.
    Have you seen The Mist?
    Most Vottomatic Player

For me, you have to watch Stephen King from a "kid who devoured horror movies" point of view. Just from a kid's point of view ...... almost like a horror comic.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Have you seen The Mist?

The best horror movie I've seen in the last decade. Of course I felt like pond sludge afterward, but I think that was the intent.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    The best horror movie I've seen in the last decade. Of course I felt like pond sludge afterward, but I think that was the intent.
    I liked the movie but the ending just ruined the whole thing for me.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I liked the movie but the ending just ruined the whole thing for me.
    But what did most expect for an ending? The "typical" climax where the hero beats the villain and rides off into the sunset with the girl? Sometimes the good guy does not always win or gets the results he had hoped for.

The ending was different, but I liked it.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    For me, you have to watch Stephen King from a "kid who devoured horror movies" point of view. Just from a kid's point of view ...... almost like a horror comic.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Exactly! I loved all that stuff back when comics were for kids and kids could afford them and even bend or tear the pages.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But what did most expect for an ending? The "typical" climax where the hero beats the villain and rides off into the sunset with the girl? Sometimes the good guy does not always win or gets the results he had hoped for.

The ending was different, but I liked it.
    I was curious what they would do with the ending, given that King's story doesn't really have an ending (they drive off into the mist with no word of what happens next). What they did managed to really jar me, and I think lifted the movie to another level. Obviously, it divides people.

I've heard that using this ending was a condition the director insisted on before signing on. That makes sense; it's hard to imagine studios voluntarily greenlighting this.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I watched "Signs" for the first time last night because I had it on my DVR. I didn't care for it much, either. I think FCB's observation about the story being "more like a 'draft' than a narrative arc" really applied in this case. Instead of leaving me wanting more, Signs left me feeling like the script was missing half of its pages. I also thought Shymalan's casting of himself in the film was a dubious choice, because his performance was weak.

My skepticism meter on "The Happening" is moving past "wait for the DVD" to "see it in 5 years when it comes out on cable."
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I watched "Signs" for the first time last night because I had it on my DVR. I didn't care for it much, either. I think FCB's observation about the story being "more like a 'draft' than a narrative arc" really applied in this case. Instead of leaving me wanting more, Signs left me feeling like the script was missing half of its pages.
    What I liked about Signs was that we had a pastor deeply questioning his faith (the existence of God) after his wife's tragic death and how he interpreted her final words. And then the various situations occurring that appeared not to make much sense at the time... why his daughter put the glasses of water on the TV, his son's asthma, the "tell Merrill to swing away".... and how it was later all tied in and showed, IMO, the "invisible" hand of God ultimately being involved (working behind the scenes) in all of it. When situations, trials, life's difficulties, tempt us to doubt his existence or think he's nowhere present.... he's there.

For me, it was a movie that I had to watch more then once. And I say that about Unbreakable too.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

What I liked about Signs was that we had a pastor deeply questioning his faith (the existence of God) after his wife's tragic death and how he interpreted her final words. And then the various situations occurring that appeared not to make much sense at the time... why his daughter put the glasses of water on the TV, his son's asthma, the "tell Merrill to swing away".... and how it was later all tied in and showed, IMO, the "invisible" hand of God ultimately being involved (working behind the scenes) in all of it. When situations, trials, life's difficulties, tempt us to doubt his existence or think he's nowhere present.... he's there.
    This is exactly why I couldn't stand it.

Why would a god or higher power kill people all over the world by alien invasion all so this minister could regain his faith?

It makes the story of this character ultimately self important and selfish. And it makes that higher power seem a little self important too, doesn't it?

Yeah, people died so you could see the world a little clearer. Right.

The movie was enjoyable until it hit me what M. Night was suggesting and then I wanted to go puke.

People confuse "It was a sign" with "This is a lesson I can learn from this."

Big difference.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 05-27-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Turn Off Ads?