Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on Griffey and Dunn (right now) Not a bashing thread

My thoughts on Griffey and Dunn (right now) Not a bashing thread

I think if we had a RH power bat to put between them, no one would be bashing them right now. As far as offense goes, that is what we need (besides someone else in the leadoff spot - not named Patterson). It is hard to place the power duties on Phillips who was and could be a 30-30 man. But I think Phillips, who is a very good player, is a 2 hitter. I don't know how we can solve this problem right now because there are not many options available. But if our lineup looked like this:

CF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    RF Griffey
    INSERT POWER BAT RH OF YOUR CHOICE
    LF Dunn
    3B EdE
    1B Votto
    SS Keppinger/Gonzales or C Bako/Ross

I think we would be much better. I guess my line-up would need us to have a power bat at SS or C. I guess a Bench like player, or Piazza in his prime at C. I know it is far fetched. I think if, when Griffey is gone after this year, we get a power RH bat in RF (keeping Bruce in CF) (like a Jason Bay) Dunn will see his best season. I know this is a big what if, but for as much as I dog Dunn, I think he is worth keeping if we get him help. And I think it does no good to dog Phillips and EdE, because we are asking these guys to do things they cannot do. If Larkin was on this team, we would be asking him to bat 4 at some point, and we all know he was not a 4 hitter.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My thoughts on Griffey and Dunn (right now) Not a bashing thread

Bruce is a RF. He can play CF sporadically if he has to and he won't kill you there, but he is an MLB RF'er, not a CF'er.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    Bruce is a RF. He can play CF sporadically if he has to and he won't kill you there, but he is an MLB RF'er, not a CF'er.
    Gee I guess you are an expert. But why is Bruce playing CF almost everyday in AAA unless the Reds see some sort of CF future for him.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if the RH Power bat plays in CF, RF or C - We just need one and that by having one, Dunn will be better.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Trade Cueto, Volquez, and Bruce to Colorado for Matt Holiday.

Griffey and Dunn appear to be here for awhile. I like the way Dusty is handling Dunn - moving him around in the order and substituting for him defensively in the late innings. I just wish he would attempt something similar with Griffey. Unless he is on a tare third does not seem to be the best place for him in the order.

Also, we need to do something about the imbalance in this roster. Two left handed hitting first baseman; three catchers; and the log jam in center when Hopper is back. These are all situations that hamstring a manager and don't allow him a lot of versatility in the moves he can make. I believe in Jocketty and have to believe that he sees these imbalances. I just can't believe he hasn't addressed them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    I went to the Bats game last night and Bruce was in center and looked like he can handle the position quite well.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I have been Begging this team for a Right Hnaded Power Hitter for quite some time now...

TC, if this team was built correctly, your are 100% CORRECT, Griffey and Dunn would be seeing more pitches to hit and would have had better Starts out of the Gate.

The Problem is, where to fit in a Right Handed Power Hitter? C or SS?

If this team would have had the resources to sign A-Rod, problem solved, but ha ha, that wasn't going to happen...

There just isn't any Catchers out there besides Victor Martinez out there who can be an established Power threat... You can look for a Second Baseman and move Phillips to SS, but then again... There isn't too many Jeff Kents around either...

Jason Bay is a guy the team probably could get, even though many people here believe an inter division Trade is Impossible... I think any deal starting with Homer Bailey could get it done... But heresthe problem with that... Where does he go, and what happens to Dunn and/or Griffey... So your Problem really isn't solved there...

So poor team construction is right in the hands of Wayne Krivisky and Dan O'Brein, and those befoe them who have refused to get that Right Handed Power Hitter to compliment there Left Handed Hitters...

Now it is up to Walt Jocketty to correct the Imbalance...

If management could trade Bailey nearly straight up (possibly throw in another prospect or major leaguer) for a RH power bat, preferably an outfielder, I wish they would do it. I think it would change the entire scope of our lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    If management could trade Bailey nearly straight up (possibly throw in another prospect or major leaguer) for a RH power bat, preferably an outfielder, I wish they would do it. I think it would change the entire scope of our lineup.
    If we could get Colorado to take Bailey (high level pitcher) and Stubbs (lower level prospect) for Holliday, I would put a Jocketty tattoo on my behind.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I dont think a RH bat is the answer to solve the problems that Dunn and Griffey have. Granted, Dunn has really been hitting the ball well lately, Griffey still RARELY makes contact. Until he starts putting some wood on the ball it doesnt matter where he is in the lineup or who splits he and the Donkey up....

Quote Originally Posted by tigh24 View Post
    I dont think a RH bat is the answer to solve the problems that Dunn and Griffey have. Granted, Dunn has really been hitting the ball well lately, Griffey still RARELY makes contact. Until he starts putting some wood on the ball it doesnt matter where he is in the lineup or who splits he and the Donkey up....
    Griffey has the 3rd fewest K out of the starters on this team . Only EE and Keppingger have fewer. Strikeouts are not Griffey problem. The porblem is he is not lifting the baseball once he starts doing that the XBH will come.

Right handed power won't help Dunn and Jr. make contact regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    If we could get Colorado to take Bailey (high level pitcher) and Stubbs (lower level prospect) for Holliday, I would put a Jocketty tattoo on my behind.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I wouldn't. Why pay that price for someone who only OPSes ~.800 on the road? There are cheaper options available, such as Florida's Josh Willingham.

I think I have found the Reds next centerfielder/lead-off hitter and his name is Andrew "Dookie" McCutchen. He is a fast OBP guy with some pop and he is 22 years old and playing AAA for the Pirates in Indy.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I wouldn't. Why pay that price for someone who only OPSes ~.800 on the road? There are cheaper options available, such as Florida's Josh Willingham.
    Yeah Yeah, I know what BaseClogger says.

I'll take the .800 OPS on the road, and let his Coors bat correlate to GABP just fine thank you!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?