Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edinson Volquez for Cy Young and ROY

Edinson Volquez for Cy Young and ROY

Is Volquez great or what. I mean we have all of these Hamilton threads, but lets celebrate Volquez too.

Lets rejoice for having a guy with these numbers:

7 Wins 1 Loss 8 ER Only 2 HR allowed 30 BB to 62 SO

1.33 ERA 1.27 WHIP
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Edinson Volquez for Cy Young and ROY

Volquez isn't a rookie.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

He is but I worry can he keep it going at this rate with all the walks he seems to throw. His whip should be below 1 with the era where it is at.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

He's not a rookie..

Alright then, how about Edinson for Cy Young.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    Alright then, how about Edinson for Cy Young.
    I was looking at ESPN.com player page for Volquez...

He is on pace for 30 Starts, 209 K, and a 24-3 record...

IF that happens... And I say IF... This team will make the Playoffs...

I am not unrealistic where I 100% think this is going to sustain, but gosh, when you see him pitch... He is LIGHTS OUT! Like Pedro!

If he can some how pull off a dominant Pedro - Doc Gooden year...

The future looks bright for Baseball in Cincinnati for 2009

He's got a long way to go. Brandon Webb will be tough to beat.

My thread is not really an argument. It was meant to spread some positive feelings toward Volquez (a Red) instead of Hamilton (now a Ranger). It just seems to me that people want to praise Hamilton and not say much about Volquez. Right now some on here are saying that Hamilton is one of the best OF in baseball. I think he is great. But when I mention the name Volquez and Cy Young, it is met with some skepticism. Come on, he might not get it, but lets give him his due while he is in the running at least.

---Mr. Baseball 1992

My thread is not really an argument. It was meant to spread some positive feelings toward Volquez (a Red) instead of Hamilton (now a Ranger). It just seems to me that people want to praise Hamilton and not say much about Volquez. Right now some on here are saying that Hamilton is one of the best OF in baseball. I think he is great. But when I mention the name Volquez and Cy Young, it is met with some skepticism. Come on, he might not get it, but lets give him his due while he is in the running at least.
    I don't think people praise Hamilton and not Volquez. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Volquez is our best pitcher. I just wish we would have given up Dunn for him instead.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    I don't think people praise Hamilton and not Volquez. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Volquez is our best pitcher. I just wish we would have given up Dunn for him instead.
    GO back and count Josh Hamilton threads, and then count Volquez threads that have been started in the Sun Deck.

---Mr. Baseball 1992

I looked, and there are at least 5 threads started to praise Hamilton (not to mention the 2 or 3 that were grouped together to make the last Hamilton love thread. On the ones started about Volquez, (the 2 that I saw) are whether or not you would have made the trade to bring him here, or what would we get if we traded Volquez and Cueto.

---Mr. Baseball 1992

I feel the love!!!!

I think that Volquez will be a great pitcher for some time...Harang will still be his strong and steady self and if the Reds can get strong outings from him and strong outings mixed in from Cueto and Volquez, I think they will hae a good chance when the end of the year comes...

It is all irrelavant if the Reds dont start swinging the bat though!

He has been great this year. I hope he keeps it up. Let's just hope he doesn't pull a 1990 Jack Armstrong on us and collapse in the second half. Even if Volquez pitches as a league average pitcher the rest of the year (which I think he'll continue to be above average), he still will have had a very successful year.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Yes you can. You can't eat your cake and have it to.

Volquez is amazing though. Living in LA I've only seen him pitch twice now, but he has been very very impressive. Glad he plays for the good guys.

Turn Off Ads?