Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Now be honest....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Now be honest....

did any of you forsee Milwaukee being BELOW St. Louis, Houston AND Pittsburgh at any time this season?!?

No, I don't see the Cards or Astros holding on to their current pace (pitching will doom them both) but the Pirates are simply much better than people think they are. Are they contenders...no, but young and hungry and pretty well balanced. VERY similar to our Reds. I still think it'll be the Cubs, Brewers, Reds, Pirates, Astros & Cards in that order. Still...those standings are pretty surprising.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Now be honest....

A team managed by LaRussa with Dave Duncan as the pitching coach will not finish in last place. It simply won't happen.

Theres been some buzz around the WV Power (Milwaukee A ball affiliate) that there is some plans at trying to make a big move post draft and that the FO has told the manager be ready with an eraser.

May not affect WV Power per say but maybe LaPorta somewhere for rotation help? I know LaPorta is in AA I believe but that seems to be the major rumors around the work place. Thats all I know.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    A team managed by LaRussa with Dave Duncan as the pitching coach will not finish in last place. It simply won't happen.
    I wouldn't be so quick with that judgement. Right now they're hitting above thier abilities. Yeah, Albert will possibly continue on at that pace, but I doubt that the team will continue on with a .280 team average. But even if they do hit better than expected, that pitching is what's going to be thier downfall. Wainwright is the real deal, so they do have one decent hurler. But after that, it's simply a nightmare. Add to that the fact that their bullpen is pretty bare and their closer has an 8.00 era and leads the league in blown saves (and now on the DL) and this team is going nowhere fast other than down.

Up to now they've gotten much better hitting than expected and they've played a ton of home games. That's gonna change and the pitching will show it's true colors. As for last place...I actually think it'll be a toss up between them and the Astros. No way Berkman, Tejada & Lee keep it up at this pace. And their staff is even worse than the Cards'.

part of BBN

The brew crew may lose a double dip tonight while Oswalt gives up 6 runs and has a 5.43 ERA.
    Wow !

Here is what I had at the beginning of the season.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66892

Very similar to Sir Charles, but I didn't like the Brewers that much. But Charles is right, the Pirates are very under-rated, some very good young pitching.

By they way, looks like I was a bit off on Arizona and Colorado. Oh well.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I know this - Prince Fielder is surely not living up to that 2nd round fantasy pick (#15 overall) I spent on him.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The Cards did dispose of some dead weight in Rolen and Edmonds (but picked up Glaus....)
    But they have Pujols; Duncan and Ankiel can hit and their bullpen (outside of their closer) has been lights out (three guys under 2.60 ERA)

Plus, Wellemeyer is pitching very well and no one is killing them (like Belisle or Fogg...)
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Wainwright and Looper are both going to be as consistent as they have been.

Wellemeyer and Lohse both suck, but under the best pitching coach in the history of the world, they have turned out to be well above average.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I know this - Prince Fielder is surely not living up to that 2nd round fantasy pick (#15 overall) I spent on him.
    i heard he went on a vegetarian diet, probly lost his power, lol.

Turn Off Ads?