Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bailey's attitude, a growing problem?

Bailey's attitude, a growing problem?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

Quote Originally Posted by Dayton Daily News
    Now a few words about Bad Homer Bailey and Good (Very Good) Jay Bruce.

And we’d all better shut up (me included) for now about bringing up Homer Bailey. He got beat up for the second straight time Friday night, walking six in five innings.

Our man who covers the Dayton Dragons, Marc Katz, visited Louisville recently and he asked Homer one question: “Have you learned anything down here.”

Homer’s answer was, “No,” and he walked away. End of interview. And that’s why Homer is still in Louisville and may remain there for a long time - or be traded.

Another story. I got this from two scouts and another impeccable source who saw it. On the day before a pitcher starts, he sits in the stands and charts the pitches of his team’s pitcher that night. It was Homer’s turn to chart that night, but he was reading a hunting magazine most of the time and paying little attention to what was going on on the field.

Another scout who has watched him said his fastball is down three to four miles an hour and he can’t throw it by anybody - in TRIPLE A! “I saw him two starts ago and he acted as if he didn’t care,” said the scout.

Homer, we hardly knew ye.
    The 18 year old kid who was calling everyone "sir" back in 2004 seems to have turned into a hot head in his minor league career. Apparently his fastball isn't anything special these days, and his control hasn't improved at all.

Is it time to start worrying about Homer? Did Krivsky make a mistake in not trading him for proven talent?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bailey's attitude, a growing problem?

Charting pitches from the stands? That's a first!

I think Krivsky was trying to trade him for proven talent, Bedard, but they wanted the good (Jay Bruce.)

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Well if Bruce is as advertised, and Homer is not; we're batting .500 on superstar prospects. Honestly, is there anyone here who won't be happy with that with the way things have gone here in the past?

I'm just happy that it appears that we've finally got some young arms that can pan out and contribute as major leaguers, plus my handle name-sake of course (Bruce).

The most concerning thing for me isn't the attitude. I'm glad he's mad about being in AAA. It's the comment about his fastball. If that's accurate, there is big trouble with this kid.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Id throw him into a Dunn trade to sweeten the pot for another team and bring us something better in return.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Id throw him into a Dunn trade to sweeten the pot for another team and bring us something better in return.
    Was just thinking about that.

Spin them to an AL team in need. Although I love Dunn I think he's the only one with value (Between he and Griffey) that could open up an every day spot for Brucer.

You trade Dunn and Bailey and you are looking at some good good returns in the way of a great RH bat. The question we ask from here is, if we're looking to trade Dunn and Bailey--who is a good suitor and what do they have that we want that honestly fits? RH Outfielder? (Still having Freel, Hopper, Junior, Bruce, and ugh Patterson in the mix) Not sure we go for an OF.

More pitching? Trade young pitching Bailey for more pitching? Seems like a bad gamble.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    The most concerning thing for me isn't the attitude. I'm glad he's mad about being in AAA. It's the comment about his fastball. If that's accurate, there is big trouble with this kid.

I wonder if it's still arrow straight as well? It was last year, I know most will blame that on injury but yeah..It was straight.

-------
    Interesting fact (Not off topic but kinda funny) every Video Game Counterpoint of him I have seen, Including MLB 2k8, has that fastball with little or not movement and only coming in at 92/94.. Never touching the higher velocity we saw last year.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

And did they mean it's fallen off 4 MPH from his top speed (97-98) or from his normal (93-94).

I'm guessing he's hitting 88,89,90 on the guns with the top out at 91-92 which is dime a dozen really.

I've read many scouts that think Homer still has more upside than Volquez and Cueto... And for the record I'm a HUGE fan of his attitude. The writers and broadcasters (namely Hal, Doc, and Marty) are very bad about jumping on a player and riding them into the ground. Bailey was the savior last season and he pitched like a rookie, but I don't blame him for being pissed. He deserves the chance to be in the majors. Hopefully while he's there he'll keep the media at arms length.

Homer can sit in triple AAA. In fact, get his attention more by sending him down to double AA and bring up Darryl Thompson. In fact, let's start giving Thompson, Maloney, and Jukich all the publicity and let Homer just whine and cry.

I bet Homer would refuse to go to double AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I've read many scouts that think Homer still has more upside than Volquez and Cueto... And for the record I'm a HUGE fan of his attitude. The writers and broadcasters (namely Hal, Doc, and Marty) are very bad about jumping on a player and riding them into the ground. Bailey was the savior last season and he pitched like a rookie, but I don't blame him for being pissed. He deserves the chance to be in the majors. Hopefully while he's there he'll keep the media at arms length.
    Good post. I'm 100% in line with everything you said and you basically voiced my exact opinion on the kid.

You can never have TOO MANY good young pitchers. Especially starters. We need this kid to pan out.

I say we take a path much like the Rangers did with Volquez. Install a lot of rules and requirements on Bailey that are contingent to his call up. Send him down to single A. If he hits the requirements their over a 4 start period, move him up. Continue that until he either fails to meet them or he is in the majors. It worked on Volquez so why not try it with Bailey?

Here are some of thing that Volquez was required to do.

• Run on and off the field within 12 seconds.

• On days he pitched, only speak to his catcher, manager and pitching coach.

• Write down a plan for the nine hitters.

• Use a No. 2 blade when shaving his head.

• Throw 60 percent first-pitch strikes.

• On 80 percent of 0-1, 0-2 counts, throw an action pitch, or quality purpose pitch.

• Chart pitches on days he is not starting.

• Always have his shirt tucked in, and his pants tidy.

Any violation of those rules would result in a $250 fine and a possible skip in the rotation. At first, Volquez was dejected, then his attitude brightened and his drive to get back to the majors became intense.

Copied from an Amy K. Nelson Espn.com Article

I would do that in a heartbeat as it looks to instill professionalism and good pitching fundamentals into the young man.

It worked for Volquez, I say some of these young kids who have been handed everything would sink with that routine though. I know some would say 'let them sink' but we need Bailey and other youngsters. Some guys just have attitude problems. Bailey strikes me as a guy who might pitch well mad (first month in AAA after demotion this year as evidence) and I think Bailey's mean streak might benefit him as a pitcher

A mean streak is fine on the mound, but if he's acting like reports say he has in the clubhouse, then he's not being professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I've read many scouts that think Homer still has more upside than Volquez and Cueto.
    Any chance of posting some links?

Turn Off Ads?