Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 1999 Preseason Prospect Previews

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

1999 Preseason Prospect Previews

While doing some spring cleaning, I came across two old baseball preseason preview mags -- one by the Sporting News and the other by Street & Smith.

Just for fun, I figured I'd share their "predictions" and "notes" about the Reds farm system. I particularly enjoy the bits about "Robbie" Bell and Scott Williamson:

From Street & Smith's Minor League Report
    Possible Starters: LHP Jesus Martinez, LHP Ted Lilly Ready Now: RHP Keith Glauber, C Jason LaRue No Place to Play: OF Mike Frank Long Shots to Stick: RHP Robbie Bell, LHP Jim Crowell Best Bets For Future: OF Austin Kearns, 3B Brandon Laron, RHP Scott Williamson

How Rookies Will Help: Years from now historians might conclude that the Reds ripped off the Braves by insisting that Bell be included in the deal that sent Bret Boone and Mike Remlinger to Atlanta for Denny Neagle and Michael Tucker.

The 6-foot-5 Carolina League strikeout king is a 21-year-old right-hander projected as a future 20-game winner. His curveball is already major-league caliber. A 1995 third-round pikc, he turned the corner in 1997 when he went 14-7 with a 3.68 ERA in the Class-A South Atlantic League.

Martinez and Lilly, lefties with Los Angeles roots, might make their marks sooner since both pitched in AAA last year. The former is the youngest brother in a chain that began with Ramon and Pedro, while the latter moved up the ladder after pitching well with the Dodger's AA San Antonio affiliate.

The right-handed Glauber also worked his way up from A-ball to the majors, one step at a time. He's a potential starter. So is Crowell, a 6-4 southpaw restricted to two innings last summer because of rotator cuff problems. The four-year pro is still only 25. [Manuel] Barrios averages nearly a strikeout an inning when healthy.

Look for LaRue, 24, to be Cincinnati's starting catcher before the end of this year. He not only led the AA Southern League with a .365 average, but also hit 14 homers with 82 RBI. He's already had two cups of coffee in Triple-A.

Frank, 23, also had a fine year in the minors (.329) but, frankly speaking, may not produce the power the Reds covet. The 1997 seventh-round pick also had a cup of coffee in Cincinnati last season, making it to the big leagues faster than any player in Reds history. He hit .225 in 28 games before succumbing to a rib injury
    And, from TSN's Minor League Report:
    MINOR LEAGUE
    Top Prospect: C Jason LaRue. The 1995 fifth-round draft pick shows a strong line-drive bat. He's a polished receiver and compensates for lack of great arm strength with a quick release. The Reds don't want to rush LaRue; they would prefer to give im at least one more season in the minors. He has a future as an everyday catcher, but the Reds will likely break him in as the righthanded hitter in a platoon with Eddie Taubensee.

NOTES:
    Jim Crowell, LHP - Coming off shoulder surgery; throws strikes with four average pitches.
    Darron Ingram, OF - Has power, but must learn to make better contact; possible '99 call-up.
    Justin Towle, C - Slowed by injuries the last two years; shows fine arm, line-drive bat.
    Jason Williams, 2B - Could be .275 hitter in the majors with gap power; a bit stiff defensively.
    Scott Williamson, RHP - Doesn't throw hard; stays ahead, gets outs with breaking stuff.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 1999 Preseason Prospect Previews

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I didn't know LaRue had a season like that in '98; that was a incredible year for him with a 1046 OPS. He only had one other season (minors or majors) after that year above 800 in 2005. It's amazing how much his offensive game has dropped since '05.

Re: 1999 Preseason Prospect Previews

Scott Williamson, RHP - Doesn't throw hard; stays ahead, gets outs with breaking stuff.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but in that '99 season when Williamson won ROY, wasn't he constantly blowing guys away with mid to upper 90's heat?

Turn Off Ads?