Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scout's opinion on Jay Bruce

Scout's opinion on Jay Bruce

A rival scout’s assessment of Bruce after watching him several times in Louisville: “Why isn’t he in Cincinnati?

“I’ve seen very few balls jump off the bat they way they do on Bruce. I saw him pull an inside fastball from a lefthanded pitcher over the right field fence. I saw him hit a slider into the left field seats. I saw him hit a change-up that was still on the rise when it cleared the center field fence.

“I had been told he couldn’t play center field. He can, better than anybody they have now. He can play all three outfield positions. He has everything but speed and his instincts are so good he gets great jumps on balls.

“I never saw a ball go over his head and stay in the park and I never saw one fall in front of him and he caught everything in the gaps,” he said. “He’d be playing center field for my team right now and we have a good center fielder.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Scout's opinion on Jay Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    “I’ve seen very few balls jump off the bat they way they do on Bruce.
    I said the same thing the first time I saw him play in person. The kid is special with a bat in his hand. The sound the bat makes when he hits a baseball is just different. He squares the ball up better than a whole lot of people do, with his bat speed and strength.... its just a special combination of things.

A rival scout’s assessment of Bruce after watching him several times in Louisville: “Why isn’t he in Cincinnati?

“I’ve seen very few balls jump off the bat they way they do on Bruce. I saw him pull an inside fastball from a lefthanded pitcher over the right field fence. I saw him hit a slider into the left field seats. I saw him hit a change-up that was still on the rise when it cleared the center field fence.

“I had been told he couldn’t play center field. He can, better than anybody they have now. He can play all three outfield positions. He has everything but speed and his instincts are so good he gets great jumps on balls.

“I never saw a ball go over his head and stay in the park and I never saw one fall in front of him and he caught everything in the gaps,” he said. “He’d be playing center field for my team right now and we have a good center fielder.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/
    Nice to see an accurate and truer review of Jay Bruce.

In addition Jay Bruce does play all three outfield positions, while the current Reds outfielders are fortunate and it has been questioned if some of them can play one outfield position well. Jay Bruce has five triples, nine doubles and eight stolen bases while caught stealing only once, an indication that Jay Bruce actually has speed, so they aren’t speaking of the not so fleet footed Sean Casey in his prime that many of us appreciated in his day. Bruce actually can hit left handed pitchers unlike most Reds batters, to a tune of a current .400 batting average, .396 on base percentage, an unheard of .720 slugging percentage among current Reds players and an OPS of 1.116.

Gotta' believe the Reds would be better with Bruce in CF. One more hitter for opposing teams to worry about. The entire Baseball world knows he's going to be special, it's not just us of Redszone. Let the Legend begin---NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I said the same thing the first time I saw him play in person. The kid is special with a bat in his hand. The sound the bat makes when he hits a baseball is just different. He squares the ball up better than a whole lot of people do, with his bat speed and strength.... its just a special combination of things.
    Is it a similar jump to what Hamilton has? I have never seen a ball just explode off a bat like it does Hamilton's.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Is it a similar jump to what Hamilton has? I have never seen a ball just explode off a bat like it does Hamilton's.
    hmmm...tough call.

Hamilton is a stronger man of the two.

They both hit the ball on the barrel, but not real sure you can get much more exit speed than they are getting...

Ya can't teach speed...

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaFan View Post
    hmmm...tough call.

Hamilton is a stronger man of the two.

They both hit the ball on the barrel, but not real sure you can get much more exit speed than they are getting...
    I've never seen Hamiltion hit a home run but I was at the Bats game yesterday and the homerun Bruce hit left the field faster than any home run I've ever seen at any time at any level. It was an absolute laser. It hit the chair in the outfield stands so hard I could hear the thud over the cheers of the crowd and I was sitting 10 rows directly behind home plate. I was literally awed by how the ball came off his bat. I spoke to one of the bats players after the game and made a comment about the home run. His repy was and I quote "you haven't seen Jay hit much have you, he does that all the time and not just to right field".

The interesting thing was that Jocketty was sitting two rows directly in front of me and during the game a half dozen people recognized him and asked for his autograph (he graciously signed each one and spoke to each person, that impressed me too). Every person asked him how much longer Bruce would be with the Bats. I couldn't hear his response to each person but what I could evesdrop on was pretty vague answer. He sure was similing after the laser beam HR though!!

The

Good thing Jocketty is seeing the man in action.

On what date can the Reds call him up and not lose a year of eligibility for him? I think thats what the Reds are trying to do. Which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred97 View Post
    On what date can the Reds call him up and not lose a year of eligibility for him? I think thats what the Reds are trying to do. Which is a shame.
    I think Cyclone said the target date would be around May 25th or so but the Reds start a homestand against the Pirates on the 27th so that would be the ideal date for him to be called up.

With the huge sucess this year...does Bruce still have the Larry Walker comp (which I always was disapointed in...sorry)...if not who would his current comp be.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred97 View Post
    I was under the impression they won't lose a year of his eligbiltiy...just he'll basically get 4 arbitration years.

All dyslexics must untie!

I think Cyclone said the target date would be around May 25th or so but the Reds start a homestand against the Pirates on the 27th so that would be the ideal date for him to be called up.
    So, one more road trip and it's time for Bruce next Tuesday?

(While it sounds nice, I won't be holding my breath)

I'm rooting for a 4-3 swing through SoCal...but if the team were to return 2-5 would the urgency build to call up the Kid with the electric bat?
    Never overlook the obvious

Question for those in the know: What difference do potential Super-2 ramifications have with respect to Bruce if the Reds give him a Longoria-type deal, which would seem to (hopefully) be a likely occurrence before the effects of his status as a Super-2 player come into effect?

Jim Edmonds wasn't that fast. He seemed to do OK in CF.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?