Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536
Results 526 to 538 of 538

Thread: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

  1. #526
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    I just saw the Janish throwing error for the first time. That is a ball that Hairston doesn't even get a glove on.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #527
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,984

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Arroyo was pitching fine until the 33 pitch third inning. If Hairston make that play then it saves him 8-10 pitches and two runs. His stuff really flattened out after that inning.
    Other pitchers overcome errors. 12 baserunners in 5 innings is asking to have your head kicked in, error or not.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-20-2008 at 10:46 AM.

  4. #528
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,133

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    i went to bed and didn't see the game. i do have one comment: Dunn in LF, Jr in RF, Hairston at SS, Freel at 3B. yuck. all are either poor or downright awful at these positions. it doesn't suprise me that the Reds D was poor last night.
    Yep. When both corner OF spots are going to be weak most nights, to torpedo the left side of the infield is asking for trouble. I think we're waiting till 09 to get a solid defense on the field most nights. You can carry 1-2 weak defenders at 1B/3B/RF/LF, but that should be all.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  5. #529
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Other pitchers overcome errors. 12 baserunners in 5 innings is asking to have your head kicked in, error or not.
    A lot of those baserunners were _due_ to errors. The Hairston throw, Freel not gunning down Kemp (I think it was), Jr's bad transfer from the glove. All of the Dodgers' runs, except the last one, were scored with two outs. All of the Dodgers' runs came after defensive miscues.

    At worst, Bronson should've been together again with Chris, beef hoagies and a 7-2 lead when he left.

    That was a team loss.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  6. #530
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,984

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    A lot of those baserunners were _due_ to errors. The Hairston throw, Freel not gunning down Kemp (I think it was), Jr's bad transfer from the glove. All of the Dodgers' runs, except the last one, were scored with two outs. All of the Dodgers' runs came after defensive miscues.

    At worst, Bronson should've been together again with Chris, beef hoagies and a 7-2 lead when he left.

    That was a team loss.
    Since when are 9 hits and 3 BBs attributable to "errors?" How many of those baserunners followed "miscues?" (Officially there was only two errors.)
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-20-2008 at 12:12 PM.

  7. #531
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,601

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Arroyo was pitching fine until the 33 pitch third inning. If Hairston make that play then it saves him 8-10 pitches and two runs. His stuff really flattened out after that inning.
    IMO the Reds need to have Bruce in RF and Janish at SS. We still have Dunn and of course EE has his moments but with these two changes we have a decent major league defense out there. it is tough to criticze the pitchers when they give up a lot of 'hits' that could/should be outs with better defense.
    .

  8. #532
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,567

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    Who would have thought we'd miss Keppinger's defense? Last night reminded me of the Felipe Lopez days not the Jeff Keppinger time.

  9. #533
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,984

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    IMO the Reds need to have Bruce in RF and Janish at SS. We still have Dunn and of course EE has his moments but with these two changes we have a decent major league defense out there. it is tough to criticze the pitchers when they give up a lot of 'hits' that could/should be outs with better defense.
    I want nothing more than for Bruce to be in RF and Janish at SS every day. That way, folks can get a good look at the pitching for what it really is, and not what they think it could be with good defense. But Bruce won't be the everyday RF till Griffey is dealt or next year, so....

  10. #534
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Since when are 9 hits and 3 BBs attributable to "errors?" How many of those baserunners followed "miscues?" (Officially there was only two errors.)
    Who said _all_ 9 hits and 3 BB are attributable to errors?

    With 2 out in the 3rd inning:

    Russell Martin reached on error to third (Grounder). Juan Pierre scored on error. Andre Ethier scored on error. Russell Martin advanced to 2B. Error by Jerry Hairston.
    After that, Kent walked, and Loney flied out. Had Hairston made the easy play, inning over, no walk. So there's 2 runs scored, 1 hit and 1 walk due to "error."

    In the 5th, after a run had scored, 2 outs, runners on first and second:

    Matt Kemp singled to right (Fliner (Liner)). Jeff Kent scored. James Loney advanced to 3B.
    I believe this is the play where Jr. fumbled the ball a bit, IMO, a "miscue." I think he should've had Loney out at third. After that:

    Blake Dewitt singled to left (Liner). James Loney scored. Matt Kemp advanced to 2B.
    If Jr. makes the play, again, inning over.

    I'm not saying that Bronson mowed them down out there, but I am saying if you want to hang the loss on something, hang it on last night's defense.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  11. #535
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    How many hits did we get from the 3rd inning on last night?? It could'nt have been more than 5 hits.Yes the throwing errors really hurt us but some of the blame has to go to our ofense as well.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  12. #536
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    2,415

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    How many hits did we get from the 3rd inning on last night?? It could'nt have been more than 5 hits.Yes the throwing errors really hurt us but some of the blame has to go to our ofense as well.
    Yeah, but a LOT of credit needs to go to the Dodger bullpen. Beimel's absolutely death on lefties, Broxton's stuff is just unfair, and Saito's ball darts every which way but straight. If the Reds had that bullpen last year, they might've won about 15 more games than they did.

  13. #537
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Yeah, but a LOT of credit needs to go to the Dodger bullpen. Beimel's absolutely death on lefties, Broxton's stuff is just unfair, and Saito's ball darts every which way but straight. If the Reds had that bullpen last year, they might've won about 15 more games than they did.

    Yeah very true!! I just thought of one more thing that really hurt us was Dusty not getting a pitcher up to warm up in the 5th inning so he could take Bronson out.Ah hopefully we can get them tonight.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  14. #538
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,588

    Re: Reds @ Dodgers--5/19/08

    How many bases did the Reds end up giving away between getting thrown out and two base errors?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25