Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips and Redszone

Brandon Phillips and Redszone

It seems to me that the majority of threads on redszone have been about how he gets a free pass and is "overrated." My question is, why?

His numbers:
    .293/.339/.524
    .863 OPS
    8 HR
    24 RBI
    86 TB (leads team)
    10 2B
    2 3B
    6 SB

1 error
    .994 Fielding%

Why the hate for BP on redszone?
    Last edited by reds44; 05-19-2008 at 07:55 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips and Redszone

Fixed. Sorry about that.

Phillips seems to be improving his plate discipline a bit, though he still swings at quite a few bad pitches. He walked only 35 times in 536 atbats in 2006, 33 times in 650 atbats last season, but this season he's already walked 12 times in 164 atbats and is on pace for 46 walks in 625 atbats. He's already a good player but if he can continue to improve his walk and get his OBP up over .340 then he could really take his game to another level.

Simple.

The team is losing.

As long as the team is losing, it doesn't matter. Everyone is and will continue to be fair game.

BP is a good player. I saw how excited he was to sweep the Indians [personal vendetta plays in I'm sure] but he was thrilled to get an RBI groundout I noticed. Doesn't matter though until this team starts to win. Once they do, he'll be a little more revered.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I like BP a lot. I don't think he gets a free pass or is overrated. I do think he is miscast in the 4th spot. That's a huge problem, but it's not BP's fault. It's Dusty's. BP really should be batting 6th in this lineup.

The other problem is desire to take a walk. If BP could become a little less of a hacker up there and learn to draw a walk more often he would become an amazing player, someone that could bat anywhere in the order.

That being said, in a few years if he's producing the same and making over $10 million the "free pass" for BP will no longer exist.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

IMHO it is yet another example of being mis-cast by Dusty...I think much less angst would be directed at Phillips were he not hitting 4th against RH pitching...

As for me, I'm thrilled we have a GG-caliber middle IF with pop and speed locked up for the prime of his career...occasional free-swinging ways and all...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

For me it's not about hate, just proper understanding. Phillips is a very valuable and overall productive player -- I don't think anybody has disagreed with that point. The problem is I see it is in the application. He's a great overall player, but he's got weaknesses in his game. You simply cannot talk about his offensive production without looking at his split stats.

vR: 125 PA, .241/.288/.353 (.641 OPS)
    vL: 52 PA, .417/.462/.938 (1.400 OPS)

Career:
    vR: 1380 PA, .249/.293/.394 (.688 OPS)
    vL: 548 PA, .304/.350/.516 (.866 OPS)

What does this mean? Against right handed pitching, Phillips is Neifi Perez (.672 OPS). Against left handed pitcher, he's Jeff Kent (.858 OPS). And unfortunately, 70% of his at bats are against right handed pitching. In 70% of his plate appearances, he's a replacement level player. In the other 30%, he's a hall-of-famer. Again, on balance, he's a very good player.

The problem as I mentioned earlier is in the application. Why is he batting clean-up versus right handed pitching? It's ridiculous. And not only is he batting up there versus righties, but his presence up there prevents better hitters from getting those at bats.

Here are the Reds starters versus right handed pitching in their careers:

Code:
    		BA	OBP	SLG	OPS
    1  Griffey	.297	.386	.570	.956
    2  Dunn		.251	.389	.535	.925
    3  Votto	.298	.344	.574	.919
    4  Encarnacion	.272	.336	.456	.792
    5  Freel	.276	.359	.375	.735
    6  Patterson	.263	.305	.427	.732
    7  Keppinger	.291	.339	.386	.725
    8  Ross		.214	.294	.420	.714
    9  Gonzalez	.249	.295	.399	.693
    10 Phillips	.249	.293	.394	.688
    11 Bako		.245	.321	.330	.651
    Starting with this knowledge, how can you possibly justify Phillips batting cleanup against a righty starter in any lineup configuration. It's really indefensible. The problem isn't with Phillips per se', it's frustration that he's being hailed as the new face of the Reds who can do everything while while a MAJOR hole in his game goes completely ignored. At the same time, other Reds get nitpicked to death for every single thing they do (or don't do) -- as if they can do no wrong.

It's the disproportionate lavishing of praise on him while Dunn and Encarnacion in particular get beat up.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 05-19-2008 at 08:42 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The problem as I mentioned earlier is in the application. Why is batting clean-up versus right handed pitching? It's ridiculous. And not only is he batting up there versus righties, but his presence up there prevents better hitters from getting those at bats.
    The same logic that has Phillips inexplicably hitting 4th vs. RHP's has Griffey hitting 3rd against LHP's when he's hit .671, .735, and .533 against LHP's the last three years.

It simply boggles the noggin.

The biggest issue I have with Phillips isn't really an issue with Phillips at all: It's Dusty's asinine usage of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I like Phillips.

His main weakness is being OBP challenged.

I would like to see him hitting 6th or 7th. The higher OBP guys like Dunn,Votto,EE can hit ahead of him. Then he drives them in with his power. When he does get on base his speed can help create runs. ie he can try to steal when the catcher or pinch hitter or leadoff guy is at the plate whereas you wouldn't want him trying to steal if a power hitter was up.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The biggest issue I have with Phillips isn't really an issue with Phillips at all: It's Dusty's asinine usage of him.
    As with Patterson hitting lead off.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    As with Patterson hitting lead off.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It seems to me that the majority of threads on redszone have been about how he gets a free pass and is "overrated." My question is, why?

His numbers:
    .293/.339/.524
    .863 OPS
    8 HR
    24 RBI
    86 TB (leads team)
    10 2B
    2 3B
    6 SB

1 error
    .994 Fielding%

Why the hate for BP on redszone?
    I've got nothing but love for him - deep, abiding love. He's my favorite Reds player. In fact, he's my favorite Reds player since Barry Larkin. He's worth watching all nine innings of the game and he threatens to make the Reds a complete baseball team. He's the best player on the team and I don't care where he bats. The dude will score runs and drive them in where you hit him.

At this moment in time, Brandon Phillips IS Reds baseball. Maybe Jay Bruce will change that in the future, but Phillips deserves nothing but pure adoration from Reds nation at this moment in history.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I've got nothing but love for him - deep, abiding love. He's my favorite Reds player. In fact, he's my favorite Reds player since Barry Larkin. He's worth watching all nine innings of the game and he threatens to make the Reds a complete baseball team. He's the best player on the team and I don't care where he bats. The dude will score runs and drive them in where you hit him.

At this moment in time, Brandon Phillips IS Reds baseball. Maybe Jay Bruce will change that in the future, but Phillips deserves nothing but pure adoration from Reds nation at this moment in history.
    Amen.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Only on pace for 19 Phillips (formerly the Casey), and on pace for 46 BB (which would shatter his seasonal career number of 35 BB).

I'll happily eat crow if he has double the BB as he will GIDP (the Phillips).

Turn Off Ads?