Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips and Redszone

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Brandon Phillips and Redszone

Look at the back of Brandon's baseball card, dfs.

He is increasing in every statistical category.

I agree he's a free swinger and his AB's can be frustrating at times, but it's so worth it for everything else he brings to the table.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I must say I was happy to see BP handle right handed pitching last night. His swing-for-the-fences approach still scares me and his splits are still ridiculously one-sided, but it is definitely hard not to like the guy.

I'll reiterate, I hate the effusive praise he gets in the media when juxtaposed against the way other Reds are treated. Just last night, Vin Scully couldn't help talking about 2 things:

1. Brandon Phillips is underrated and among the best players in the NL.
    2. Adam Dunn is 6'6", 275 lbs and is an all-or-nothing player who only strikes out and hits homers.

If somebody had suggested to Vin that Dunn is the more productive offensive player due to his power and making fewer outs than Phillips, he might have had a heart attack. It was a perfect example of my frustration. Phillips is very good and deserves praise. But the praise he receives often highlights the bias towards certain types of performance, not based on actual productivity.
    Vin is god though and Marty is a devil.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Brandon Phillips is by far the best overall player this team has and he will be the face of this franchise for many years to come.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Brandon Phillips is by far the best overall player this team has and he will be the face of this franchise for many years to come.
    Adam Dunn & Aaron Harang are the best players on the team, but I agree with the rest.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Vin is god though and Marty is a devil.
    Vin is a pleasant listen, no venom, no amazement at the failures that occur daily, just a nice listen.

He can get repetitive though with the game notes over a 3 game series.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Adam Dunn & Aaron Harang are the best players on the team, but I agree with the rest.
    Dunn, no. Defense hurts him too much. Harang, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I guess I think more of Dunn's defense than most folks. I don't think he really hurts the club out there and he makes all the routine plays. I look at it like this. If you were starting a team that had to win that day. Who would you pick as the first 2 guys. Harang and Dunn would be mine.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Dunn is the best player on this team and it isn't even remotely close. I love Phillips, but he's nowhere near as valuable to this team as Dunn.

BTW: Dunn has been pretty much a league-average LFer this season.

I guess I think more of Dunn's defense than most folks. I don't think he really hurts the club out there and he makes all the routine plays. I look at it like this. If you were starting a team that had to win that day. Who would you pick as the first 2 guys. Harang and Dunn would be mine.
    Harang and Volquez and its not close for me. You can't get that type of pitching on the FA market for anywhere near what we are paying for it.

As for Dunn's defense.... its downright terrible even compared to most of his peers at one of the easiest positions on the field. He doesn't make the routine play.... most of the routine plays are ones that land 3 feet from him.

Harang and Volquez and its not close for me. You can't get that type of pitching on the FA market for anywhere near what we are paying for it.

As for Dunn's defense.... its downright terrible even compared to most of his peers at one of the easiest positions on the field. He doesn't make the routine play.... most of the routine plays are ones that land 3 feet from him.

I don't see that, but that's why we all have opinions. Compare him to the rest out there and you might be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Dunn is the best player on this team and it isn't even remotely close. I love Phillips, but he's nowhere near as valuable to this team as Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

When you factor in defense, Adam Dunn is still a very good player, but its pushing it to say Phillips isn't close to as valuable as Dunn. Last year the difference, just defensively between the two was about 2.5-3 wins. Thats a whole lot. Its early this season still, so the defense is going to be up in the air for a while still..... but I don't think Dunn is getting all that much better out there. He is also having a down offensive season compared to last year. I think they are much closer than you are giving credit for.

I don't see that, but that's why we all have opinions. Compare him to the rest out there and you might be surprised.
    I have.... he still sucks and every metric available over the last few years backs that up big time. He gets to fewer balls in his zone, he gets to fewer balls out of his zone and he makes his fair share of errors. Now, this year he is doing much better, I will give him that. I just don't think he does it over the full season. I will gladly eat crow if he does, but I just don't see it.

Dunn can carry the offense, but in terms of overall value, I'll take Phillips. Brandon leads the team in OPS at the moment too. It won't last, but it speaks to his all-around value.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I know I'll get torn apart for this, but with the game on the line in the 9th inning, who do you have more confidence in that they're going to get the job done? Brandon Phillips or Adam Dunn?

Answer's pretty easy.

(PS. I like Adam Dunn and I stay so far away from 99.9% of the Dunn related threads on this board because I don't think he's nearly as bad as some make him out to be but I also don't think he's nearly as good as the other half makes him out to be. Ok, back to my hiding spot.)
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?