Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Golf Club Suggestions

Golf Club Suggestions

I'm thinking about buying a new set of irons. I'm a little better than average player, but I'm going to actively work on my game this summer, and I want a set that will perform when I'm a better player. Any thoughts?
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I'm toolsy.

Re: Golf Club Suggestions

I am currently playing Taylor Made RAC OS. They are about 4 years old. I have really enjoyed them. This spring, I had the "opportunity" to rent clubs while playing in Arizona. They were Mizuno's and they were forged instead of the standard cast irons that most amatuers play. I can say that my next set will DEFINITELY be forged. The difference in feel between the two is amazing. I'm also high on Cleveland and Ping. Irons, unlike drivers, are likely to stay with you for a few years, so I definitely recommend spending the extra cash to get fitted for your next set.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a new set of irons. I'm a little better than average player, but I'm going to actively work on my game this summer, and I want a set that will perform when I'm a better player. Any thoughts?
    1. How tall are you?
    2. Lefty or righty?
    3. Price range?
    4. What do you use now?
    5. How far do you hit a 7 iron?
    6. What's your typical ball flight?
    7. How big are your hands? (This is important for proper grip size)

Answer those, and it'll give me a better idea of a direction to point you.

If Redhook sees this thread, he probably would have asked these same questions, and might have a few of his own (he's good like that).

1. 6'
    2. Right
    3. < $600 Pref.
    4. Beginner set "from a box"
    5. About 170-175
    6. High
    7. Pretty good size hands.

1. 6'
    2. Right
    3. < $600 Pref.
    4. Beginner set "from a box"
    5. About 170-175
    6. High
    7. Pretty good size hands.
    If you're 6', then you might not be able to buy standard length clubs. You might need anywhere between 1/4" and 1/2" extended.

Hitting your 7 iron 170 on the fly is solid, so you'll want stiff steel for your iron shafts.

If you have pretty good sized hands, you'll be at least standard grip size, and could be maybe a wrap of tape or two extra with a standard grip.

Are you happy with a high ball flight?

If you want to stay less than $600, it's definitely doable.

I'm on my way out to a club right now, but I'll search my head for iron sets in the $600 and less range, and I'll get back to you tomorrow.

We're goin in the right direction though, we'll get you something that will take you to the next level. I definitely agree that you want a set you can "grow into".

Elfman, take your time with this decision, which is sounds like you're doing. Treat it like you're going to spend money on a good suit. The most important thing to do is get fitted from a professional club fitter. They'll be able to get the proper specs that Highlife was talking about. It's imperative to get this done.

Next, you need to go to a golf store and pick out a couple of sets of irons that you like. With irons, my theory is to find something you like to look at. Looking down at the club should give you confidence that you'll hit it good.

The $600 or under range is right on the border between getting a good set and great set. You'll probably have to avoid Titleist, Ping, Taylor Made, Callaway, and Mizuno. If you go used you could get one of those brands.

I would recommend Cobra. They have a few models that suit many players. Plus, they're affordable. And a good name brand which means they'll be worth something in a few years if you decide to sell them.

The clubs today are so good that almost every brand will suit you well if properly fitted. Go to Golf Galaxy or some other golf store and hit a few and you should know what you like and dislike.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

How much golf do you play?

If you play a lot it may be worth it to spend a little extra money. I bought a set of Mizzuno MP14 blades around 10 years ago. At the time they were a little on the expensive side but I was playing competitively so they were worth it. 10 years later I have the same clubs and still love them. The only addition I have is a MP33 2 iron because mine was out of production.

You may want to go somewhere and try out a few clubs. I say this because when you are used to a particular club the look and lie of another club may look strange. Im partial to Mizzuno's and Titleist because I like the look and feel of the club.

I'm off in the summers, and I plan on playing just about every day. I'm planning on getting professionally fitted. I've looked into the Cobra FPs since I posted this thread, although I haven't hit them. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Random sets I'd recommend....

Titleist 755
    Bridgestone J33
    Cleveland CG Gold
    Cleveland CG Red
    Cobra CB
    Cobra FP

They should be around your price range.