Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does it drive you crazy when Griffey doesn't bunt when he leads off?

Does it drive you crazy when Griffey doesn't bunt when he leads off?

I just don't get it. Why doesn't he take the free base? Its not like he is knocking down the walls anymore. Its so frustrating to see him pound hard hit ground balls into the shift.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does it drive you crazy when Griffey doesn't bunt when he leads off?

I think he did try it on Sunday.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Yes it drive me crazy every time he doesnt bunt and then acts as if hes gunna bunt.

He may have tried on one pitch, but then continued to swing away. The shift didn't change because he tried to lay one down. And he keep running out of the box when trying to bunt, for no good reason. Maybe he tried the old "try to bunt then hit one out" strategy that so many Reds players have been using this year.

He could get a double if he was able to hit it to left field with that shift on.

Quote Originally Posted by adampad View Post
    I just don't get it. Why doesn't he take the free base? Its not like he is knocking down the walls anymore. Its so frustrating to see him pound hard hit ground balls into the shift.
    He gets a free base if he leads off bunting? When did that happen ? Maybe he doesnt lead off bunting cause his old legs cant get down the line in time to possibly beat out a bunt, why would you want to just give away the first out like that (yeah yeah, I know, he is practically giving outs away swinging too)? I have to be misunderstanding your question.

bounty, the 3rd baseman plays the SS position when Jr is at bat with no runners on. He could square and push the ball down the line and trot to first base. Hes old and has lost a step but is still not considered slow.

But that is only if the ball is out of reach of the pitcher and catcher. He would have to get a good pitch to do that. And if the pitcher can get to the ball, Griff has no chance.

Griffey isn't on the Roster to hit bunt singles anyway... who cares...

Someone is going to say something like, " well he can't get a hit anyway else so ya ya ya de ya ya ya "

But save it...

Did this bunting post somehow float over from an old Mariners board from 1995?

I would think the argument would be why doesn't he, Dunn, and anyone else who teams use the shift on, hit the ball the other way. But when it comes to sports and physics; hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do. I just say get hits and drive runs in (I don't care where you hit them). Dunn is starting to do that this year, while Griffey is not. If Griffey were hitting, this thread would not have been started.

Am I really replying to this post? Nah. Silly

Quote Originally Posted by levydl View Post
    He could get a double if he was able to hit it to left field with that shift on.
    I agree.

Someone is going to say something like, " well he can't get a hit anyway else so ya ya ya de ya ya ya "

But save it...
    Why is he on the roster? IMO players should be on the roster to help win games. Getting on base by bunting every at bat would be much more helpful than hitting 30 homers a year.

Am I really replying to this post? Nah. Silly
    Please enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by adampad View Post
    I agree.

Why is he on the roster? IMO players should be on the roster to help win games. Getting on base by bunting every at bat would be much more helpful than hitting 30 homers a year.

Please enlighten me.
    I understand players are on the Roster to win games...

But Griffey isn't Willie Wilson or Otis Nixon... Guys that made a living off of bunt singles...

This post is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I understand players are on the Roster to win games...

But Griffey isn't Willie Wilson or Otis Nixon... Guys that made a living off of bunt singles...

This post is ridiculous
    Whats your point? Why is this ridiculous? I want someone to prove that bunting would be a bad idea. If it is such a bad idea do you get upset when Jr. does lay one down? How about when he singles with no one on? Is that bad too?

Do you agree Griffey could lay down a bunt for a hit at least say 70% if he wanted to? If so don't you think that would help the team more than his current approach. Griffey made his living hitting during the prime of his career. That also happened to be when teams DIDNT shift against him. They adapted. So should Jr. Maybe if he layed down a bunch they would take the shift off and hit balls between the first and second baseman again.

Turn Off Ads?