Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: What to do in Dayton

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    5,705

    What to do in Dayton

    I am going to a conference in Dayton in a couple of weeks and was wondering what people recommend doing there other than Dragons games. From the agenda, it looks like we are tied up during the day but does anyone have any favorite restaurants etc in the area of the University, downtown, etc?

  2. #2
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,393

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    Both near UD on Brown St.: Hickory BBQ and the Pine Club for steaks.

    Stuff to do at night in Dayton: hope your hotel has good cable.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  3. #3
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    According to the two guys here in the office that were stationed there, nothing.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,325

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    According to the two guys here in the office that were stationed there, nothing.
    I must've came in late on the guys in your office. What are they saying about my chances hooking up with a nice gal this weekend?

  5. #5
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I must've came in late on the guys in your office. What are they saying about my chances hooking up with a nice gal this weekend?
    Nice gals can be found anywhere. You may have to look harder in some places though.

  6. #6
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,393

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Nice gals can be found anywhere. You may have to look harder in some places though.
    Plenty of nice gals in Dayton. Great personalities.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Topsail, NC
    Posts
    369

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Both near UD on Brown St.: Hickory BBQ and the Pine Club for steaks.

    Stuff to do at night in Dayton: hope your hotel has good cable.
    x2 on OLD Hickory and the Pine Club. Dublin Pub is a good place in the Oregon District. Other than that, dodging bullets on Gettysburg Ave. is fun.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

  8. #8
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,706

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    I remember that a number of the public restrooms in Dayton had XXX playing cards back in the day.

    Night life.

  9. #9
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,393

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    OLD Hickory
    Sorry, smoke.

    The one on Brown is the Hickory BBQ. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...76879452115653

    http://dayton.citysearch.com/profile...bar_b_que.html

    There's an Old Hickory around somewhere, also, but I've never been there.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Topsail, NC
    Posts
    369

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Sorry, smoke.

    The one on Brown is the Hickory BBQ. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...76879452115653

    http://dayton.citysearch.com/profile...bar_b_que.html

    There's an Old Hickory around somewhere, also, but I've never been there.
    Interesting. They may have changed the name to keep from getting the 2 locations confused or I'm just stupid. The other one is in Riverside and is NOWHERE near as good as Brown St.

    My apologies
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

  11. #11
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    Highly recommend the Pine Club, but bring cash. They don't take plastic.

    Dayton is not a tourist town, and with UD out for the summer, there won't be going on around campus. Other than the Dragons your options are pretty much chain restaurants, malls, and movie theaters. If you head south a bit you can smell Moraine...
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  12. #12
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    11,837

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    - USAF Museum is world-class and highly recommended.
    - Schuster Center has some good musicals and orchestra.
    - 2nd Street Market is nice place to while away a little time.
    - Canal Street Tavern is a good place to tip a few brews and hear some good tunes.
    - My knowledge of UD bars is 25 years stale. Is The Shed still down there?

    Pay attention to the open sky

  13. #13
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,040

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    - My knowledge of UD bars is 25 years stale. Is The Shed still down there?
    The Shed was purchased and remodeled by Greg Gels, UD alum and former UD football player, circa 1995 or so. The bar became known as The Fieldhouse, and it's the big night spot for UD students. And yes, they did get rid of the famous Shed couches.

    A lot has changed on Brown Street over the last 5 years. They've torn down a ton of old buildings, and they now have Chipotle, Panera Bread, and other small shops where things like Submarine Alley, Arby's, and Submarine House used to be.

  14. #14
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    11,837

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    The Shed was purchased and remodeled by Greg Gels, UD alum and former UD football player, circa 1995 or so. The bar became known as The Fieldhouse, and it's the big night spot for UD students. And yes, they did get rid of the famous Shed couches.

    A lot has changed on Brown Street over the last 5 years. They've torn down a ton of old buildings, and they now have Chipotle, Panera Bread, and other small shops where things like Submarine Alley, Arby's, and Submarine House used to be.
    I remember the Shed had a stuffed sleeping dog lying by the fireplace. Many a drunk would go over the dog and pet it and say "good doggie".

    I worked at the Red Barn Chicken next door to the Shed circa 1972 (yes, I'm old). Soaked up a lot of suds at the Shed, Timothy's, etc. etc.

    Building Chipotle, Panera Bread, etc. aroud college campuses seems rampant these days.

    And I married a Dayton girl too (actually a Kettering girl but close enough).

    Pay attention to the open sky

  15. #15
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,706

    Re: What to do in Dayton

    I once made it with a very attractive girl from Vandalia. Poor personality, though.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25