Turn Off Ads?

Thread: granite countertops

granite countertops

Does anyone have granite countertops? If so, can you tell me how easy they are to maintain and keep clean? As most of you know, I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe, so I'm quite leery or getting them when I move. Unfortunately, the Corian countertop options, aren't really that appealing. I had hoped that I would like them, since they are not porous like granite, thus no sealing necessary, or threat of bacteria.

I love the look of granite, but honestly, not sure of how to care and keep it clean to my standards. If you have granite, can you tell me what you use to clean them and how much of a pain the whole sealing process is? Thanks!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: granite countertops

The only problem with granite is the price. They're extremely easy to keep clean. I guess theoretically that if you had the squares instead of the slabs, that the grout lines could get dirty. The slabs don't have any grout lines, but they're more $$$

I have granite in the place I'm renting and love it. If it were my own house, I probably wouldn't pay for it, unless it was essential for resale value. The last time I checked you could replace your formica counters 3 or 4 times for the price of putting in granite once. (maybe the price has changed)

If money were no object, I'd do granite.
    Stick to your guns.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Honestly, I would look long and hard at Quartz if your looking at Granite. Quartz - which is also called Engineered Stone, is easier to clean, maintain and comes with the Microbahn anti microbial protection stuff that seems to be the rage all these days.

And it looks identical to Granite and is usually about the same cost. After seeing several options at the home show last month, my wife and I were sold on Quartz.

Silestone and Cambria are two of the larger distributors that I know of.

Corian is fine, but I would say it's only a step above laminate. Its fine if that's all you have, but if your talking about doing stone, Corian isn't really in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Honestly, I would look long and hard at Quartz if your looking at Granite. Quartz - which is also called Engineered Stone, is easier to clean, maintain and comes with the Microbahn anti microbial protection stuff that seems to be the rage all these days.

And it looks identical to Granite and is usually about the same cost. After seeing several options at the home show last month, my wife and I were sold on Quartz.

Silestone and Cambria are two of the larger distributors that I know of.

Corian is fine, but I would say it's only a step above laminate. Its fine if that's all you have, but if your talking about doing stone, Corian isn't really in the same league.
    I completely agree on the Quartz. Unfortunately, my builder doesn't have this as an option. Cost isn't the issue, it's really just the concern about how to clean them.

I have granite and love them. I don't know if they are easier to clean than your cheaper formica but I think they look cleaner when you do clean them. If money isn't that much of an issue I would go with granite any day of the week. If you have granite and stainless steel appliances it makes a kitchen look so much nicer, esp for resale value. Nothing is worse than going on the cheep at the beginning and then having to upgrade for a higher price a few years down the road.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Red In Chicago, I would point to the average life expectancy of a human being as between 74 and 80 years, having absolutely zero to do with how much bacteria a counter top holds.

(Get what you like the most).

For all the bashing corian is getting on here, I have them and I'm thrilled.

Have you considered concrete? Seriously, there are contractors doing some really cool things with concrete. It's sealed and a lot cheaper than granite.

Also, sheets of copper or stainless steel over 1 1/2 inches of plywood are pretty nice, too. A friend of mine works with architectural sculptures and he did his own counter top in copper sheeting. It was beautiful.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

The top designer on HGTV, Candice Olsen, almost always uses Quartz. There must be something to it that she likes better than granite. And I trust her... she's the best.

Also, doesn't granite require some kind of maintenance technique? Though, for the life of me, I can't recall what it is.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 05-23-2008 at 01:16 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

previous owner put granite countertops in the kitchen before we bought the house. just don't spill red wine on it and you'll be fine.

We have them. No problems. To clean, use hot soapy water and then sponge off.

My only problem with granite countertops is that, at some point, every house flipper in America decided that all kitchens needed to be gutted and rebuilt with granite countertops and cherry cabinets. I don't have anything against granite per se but I don't like having what everyone else has; it's the contrarian in me.

(Our countertops are made of white pine, FWIW.)
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?