Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Does Anyone Buy Items At Pawn Shops?

Does Anyone Buy Items At Pawn Shops?

I recently bought an almost brand new DVD player at a pawn shop for $19 where the same item at Walmart is $29.

I recently heard a financial person (Daver Ramsey XM165 3pm-7pm est. Mon-Fri) say a pawn shop is a great place to buy a wedding ring.

Does anyone shop at these places?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Re: Does Anyone Buy Items At Pawn Shops?

Bought a gas-powered edger at a pawn shop for $25.

One of my best value purchases ever.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Bought a couple really nice watches at pawn shops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

You can find some really nice deals on guns at pawn shops, according to the gun collector in our office.

The best part about buying at a pawn shop is taking your item apart and finding a kilo stashed behind the VCR plate.

I find the pawn shops here are almost as high as buying the item new. The best deals are on used video games for older systems and movie DVDs and they almost give away VCR tapes. Newer stuff, though, I haven't found them to be very helpful. I have heard about pawned jewelry being pretty good deals but I've never shopped for any there so I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I find the pawn shops here are almost as high as buying the item new.
    Same thing in my area: the prices for things like electronics are surprisingly and ridiculously high, considering that you're getting something used with no warranty.

I would never buy a diamond from a pawn shop unless they allowed me to get an appraisal from an independent source of my choosing. Then again, if the diamond isn't certified, you have no idea what you're getting anyway, so...

I did my research on the four C's (cut, clarity, carat, color) before shopping for my wife's engagement ring, and the staffs at the mall stores (and some independent stores, as well) had no idea if or how their diamonds were graded. Many of them looked at me like I had just spoken a foreign language. I kept shopping until I found a dealer who took my desire for a certified stone seriously.

How would you know if it was a real diamond? A pawn shop wouldn't let you take it to other places to check it out would they?

Summer before last here in Terre Haute, an older guy walked into a downtown pawn shop. Heasked to see a rifle. After it was handed to him, he pulled ammo out of his pocket, loaded it, and shot the clerk. He then proceded out the door and emptied it at traffic. He was captured a few minutes later. He was crazy (obviously).
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    How would you know if it was a real diamond? A pawn shop wouldn't let you take it to other places to check it out would they?
    You could give them a copy of your drivers license. If they were serious about selling it and were honest, they should not have a problem. I would arrange the appraisal before hand to have it back at the pawn shop the same day. Your first born would do also instead of a drivers license.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

I buy things at pawn shops all the time. I heart pawn shops. As Jake noted, they're great placed to find used video games. Also, they generally have awesome prices on DVD boxed sets. I've grabbed a few Blu-Ray movies for 8 bucks a pop at pawn shops as well. Some of my best finds include an HP Ipaq Bluetooth PDA for $75.00 (it was a $300 value at the time), and a set of five early Randy Bowen Marvel Mini-Busts for $80.00 (sold for over $800 on eBay).

Jewelry may be iffy at the smaller shops, but at least some of the larger chains sell certified gems at fractions of what you'd pay at a jewelry chain.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I got my ps2 used at a pawn shop for 50 bucks. Perfect, because my puppy broke my new one right after playing guitar hero III for only the 2nd time after xmas. I was a little miffed at the puppy, but after finding a perfectly good used one for 50(slim version) I cooled off a bit.

I've seen some fairly good computers in pawn shops for cheap - considered buying them. They didn't have everything you might want, but the core components were very good, and you could part/upgrade them easily for very cheap(things such as HDD, memory).

I've gotten some good Mixers(DJ equip.) from Pawn Shops too, but that usually takes more shopping.. occasionally you can find some gems. And typically around here, you can hagle the price down a bit.

Oh, and most pawn shops I buy my stuff from DO have limited warranties on the electronics. Its not much, but it is better than a SOLD AS IS type deal.

With that said, for those wondering how you verify the jewlery at the pawn shop, get a no questions asked return guarantee within 30 days. Go get it appraised. If its no good, take it back. Any merchant with a back bone and who isn't tryin to scam you will give you something as simple as a 30 day money back guarantee, especially with something as "big" as a diamond.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Same thing in my area: the prices for things like electronics are surprisingly and ridiculously high, considering that you're getting something used with no warranty.

I would never buy a diamond from a pawn shop unless they allowed me to get an appraisal from an independent source of my choosing. Then again, if the diamond isn't certified, you have no idea what you're getting anyway, so...

I did my research on the four C's (cut, clarity, carat, color) before shopping for my wife's engagement ring, and the staffs at the mall stores (and some independent stores, as well) had no idea if or how their diamonds were graded. Many of them looked at me like I had just spoken a foreign language. I kept shopping until I found a dealer who took my desire for a certified stone seriously.
    I got a good deal on my wife's engagement ring. I was working on a contract in Kansas City and stopped into a Tivol shop. I knew my bride to be liked a special kind of setting that the chain shops didn't carry (called a tulip set). I would suggest dropping down a little on the carat C in favor of clarity and color. With a slightly smaller diamond (helps that my wife has small hands with thin fingers) and a custom setting, I paid less for a better quality diamond and the tulip set really helped set it apart from other rings.

I've never bought from a pawn shop, although I have a friend who picked up deals on some vintage guitars that way.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?