Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I dont know if you have ever been to our city but we are going to build a "super bowl village" and many walkways that will be indoors for the media so the weather will not be much of a problem. The city leaders are going to build a practice facility on the eastside of Indy for the NFC team and they are going to use it for revitilization of that community and let the public schools use it for games and practice. This is a great thing for our city and I for one am really looking forward to it and the benefits it will bring to our city. Its not IndiaNOplace anymore.

I've been to Indy several times for one thing or another and I really like it there. I have argued with another Zoner who shall remain nameless that there's much more to do in downtown Indy than Cincy. I haven't been to the NCAA center yet or seen a game at Victory Field but hopefully I'll do that one of these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

A couple of years ago, Atlanta was bidding for the 2009 and 2010 games. Miami (2009) and Tampa (2010) won because of "weather concerns".

(There was an ice storm here the last time the game was in town - Rams-Titans, in one of the better Super Bowls in recent years.)

This was right around the time that the 2006 game was being hosted in...Detroit.

(If you're concerned about weather, why the heck would you pick Detroit in early February? I mean, the game is in a domed stadium, but the weather outside for all of the week-long events and logistics pretty much was brutal.)

And as we all remember, 2007 was played in a monsoon in Miami.

Everyone here pretty much thought "karma's a youknowwhat, eh NFL braintrust?"

Don't think the city has any plans to try & land any more Super Bowls in the near future.

Good luck to Indy to pull it off.

And best wishes to all of the poor souls who will be going here and there in single digit temperatures during the game week.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I've been to Indy several times for one thing or another and I really like it there. I have argued with another Zoner who shall remain nameless that there's much more to do in downtown Indy than Cincy. I haven't been to the NCAA center yet or seen a game at Victory Field but hopefully I'll do that one of these days.
    I agree, there are many more things to do in downtown Indy than Cincy.

We've been there several times for the Bands of America Grand Nationals (HS marching band) at the RCA Dome and they always do a bang-up job for that.

Mason HS will be in the "Sound Check" event at the new Lucas Oil Stadium this fall (9/27).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The Vic is great its a small version of GABP if your in town I will treat you to a game there.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I have been to Cincinnati many times and it seems like its a ghost town in the evenings and weekends. I went down to a Bengal/Colt game a few years ago and we couldnt find anything open to grab a pop and some food.

The city leaders are going to build a practice facility on the eastside of Indy for the NFC team and they are going to use it for revitilization of that community and let the public schools use it for games and practice.
    This is part of the whole plan that I think is a very bad idea. I would compare that area of Indianapolis to the "over the rhine" area of Cincinnati. Having NFL teams, high profile media types, NFL Execs etc. in that part of our town where crime is incredibly high is just beyond stupid to me.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

The Vic is great its a small version of GABP if your in town I will treat you to a game there.

I have been to Cincinnati many times and it seems like its a ghost town in the evenings and weekends. I went down to a Bengal/Colt game a few years ago and we couldnt find anything open to grab a pop and some food.
    There are a few bars and stuff but nothing really out in the open. I always said that someone could make a lot of money just selling pizza slices out a window on Vine or Walnut or Main between the park and downtown. Otherwise it's all NKY.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

The difference between Indy and Cincinnati in issues like this always seems to me to be that back in the day, when Richard Lugar was Indianapolis mayor, he combined city and county governments into one streamlined unit. Any major undertaking in Cincinnati seems to often get bogged down in squabbles between the City of Cincinnati and Hamilton County. "Unigov" makes it so much easier to get everybody pulling in the same direction.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

We usually alternate a family vacation between Cincy, Columbus, and Indy every summer, so this summer is Indy again. We love it. The Children's Museum kicks butt, and while their zoo probably isn't up to Columbus or Cincinnati zoo standards, it's still a pretty good zoo...especially since they have dolphins, and our daughter loves dolphins. We drove right past Victory Field, and I really wanted to stop for the game...but not with toddlers in tow. The stadium looked awesome.

Maybe I'll rent out my house in Bloomington for the weekend.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    This is part of the whole plan that I think is a very bad idea. I would compare that area of Indianapolis to the "over the rhine" area of Cincinnati. Having NFL teams, high profile media types, NFL Execs etc. in that part of our town where crime is incredibly high is just beyond stupid to me.
    I would say the near northside would be the closest to over the rhine but I dont think any part of our city is as bad as over the rhine.

That's sort of the point though George, they're going to build the practice facility and hopefully the area as a whole will get a face lift in the next 4 years.
    Irvington(just to the east of Tech) has supposedly been on the verge of the up and up since I moved here in 2000 and maybe this will be the necessary extra push.
    I certainly don't think that particular sector compares to Over the Rhine.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I would think that the people who live in that area may have more to fear from the players than the other way around.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I would think that the people who live in that area may have more to fear from the players than the other way around.
    Are you saying the Bengals are going to be in the 2012 Super Bowl?

Are you saying the Bengals are going to be in the 2012 Super Bowl?

Let's not get carried away.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?