Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

  1. #31
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's sort of the point though George, they're going to build the practice facility and hopefully the area as a whole will get a face lift in the next 4 years.
    Irvington(just to the east of Tech) has supposedly been on the verge of the up and up since I moved here in 2000 and maybe this will be the necessary extra push.
    I certainly don't think that particular sector compares to Over the Rhine.
    I lived just east of Tech High School not to long ago and trust me it is hardly an area you want to be at night or even day for that matter. I just think it would have been a better idea to have the practice facility put in Fishers, Westfield, Franklin Township or another area where it will be safe for out of towners to go. I am confident that dumping nine million dollars into a football facilty will hardly make a dent into that dismal area of town. Also factor in the potential lousy publicity the city would get should something tragic happen to one of the out of towners that visit that area of town. It just seems foolish that a bunch of do gooders are putting others at risk in the HOPES that they MIGHT revitalize an area of town.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I lived just east of Tech High School not to long ago and trust me it is hardly an area you want to be at night or even day for that matter. I just think it would have been a better idea to have the practice facility put in Fishers, Westfield, Franklin Township or another area where it will be safe for out of towners to go. I am confident that dumping nine million dollars into a football facilty will hardly make a dent into that dismal area of town. Also factor in the potential lousy publicity the city would get should something tragic happen to one of the out of towners that visit that area of town. It just seems foolish that a bunch of do gooders are putting others at risk in the HOPES that they MIGHT revitalize an area of town.

    How many people are going to be at the practice facility at night?

    I'm pretty sure there may be some security presence in the immediate area anyway.

    I dunno, I think putting the facility in one of the suburbs would kind of defeat the purpose. I can assure you Westfield and Fishers don't need the money.

    Dumping nine million dollars into a football field may not revitalize the area, but it more than likely will alleviate much of the cost of outdoor athletics for IPS for the next few years. That money can be redistributed to other useful things. Investment can always have a benefit.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  4. #33
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    How many people are going to be at the practice facility at night?

    I'm pretty sure there may be some security presence in the immediate area anyway.

    I dunno, I think putting the facility in one of the suburbs would kind of defeat the purpose. I can assure you Westfield and Fishers don't need the money.

    Dumping nine million dollars into a football field may not revitalize the area, but it more than likely will alleviate much of the cost of outdoor athletics for IPS for the next few years. That money can be redistributed to other useful things. Investment can always have a benefit.
    That area isn't safe during the day either.

    I don't think its an issue of who needs the money, its an issue of where is the best place to put the facility that will benefit the city as a whole. Nothing potentially bad will happen in the suburbs while you have a huge risk of something bad happening in the Tech area and again all for something that will have little impact on a very poor part of town.

    God forbid an out of town reporter gets jumped or shot on the way to the practice facilty. It will be a black eye on the city and something that could hinder us getting other events of that stature in the future, and the only real benefit would be pumping money into an area of town that likely will have little impact.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 05-21-2008 at 05:43 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,639

    Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    That area isn't safe during the day either.

    I don't think its an issue of who needs the money, its an issue of where is the best place to put the facility that will benefit the city as a whole. Nothing potentially bad will happen in the suburbs while you have a huge risk of something bad happening in the Tech area and again all for something that will have little impact on a very poor part of town.

    God forbid an out of town reporter gets jumped or shot on the way to the practice facilty. It will be a black eye on the city and something that could hinder us getting other events of that stature in the future, and the only real benefit would be pumping money into an area of town that likely will have little impact.
    Maybe I am wrong but I work in that area a few days a week and I really dont think its that bad. I dont think any reporters are going to "get jumped" causing a black eye for the city anyway but I am sure there will be a major IMPD presence there during the Super Bowl week.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  6. #35
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  7. #36
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's always the sportswriters who raise the biggest stink about it. It seemed like they were the only ones supporting the idea by, I think it was Jerry Colangelo, of having a neutral site World Series. They want all major winter sporting events in warm weather locales so that they can take a trip to someplace nice and charge it to their employer. I've come to the conclusion that I don't care where the game is played, as long as the game is interesting. The Pro Bowl is in a nice place and nobody cares because it's not interesting. Hence my notion that having the game outdoors in a cold weather city might not be a bad idea.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  8. #37
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

    No offense to Indy, but if my team goes to the Super Bowl, I would want it to be a huge party. And when I think of partying, I don't think of Indianapolis.

    Look, this is the NFL extorting cities into building huge stadia so that they can host a Super Bowl. It's sad but true.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  9. #38
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    It's always the sportswriters who raise the biggest stink about it. It seemed like they were the only ones supporting the idea by, I think it was Jerry Colangelo, of having a neutral site World Series. They want all major winter sporting events in warm weather locales so that they can take a trip to someplace nice and charge it to their employer. I've come to the conclusion that I don't care where the game is played, as long as the game is interesting. The Pro Bowl is in a nice place and nobody cares because it's not interesting. Hence my notion that having the game outdoors in a cold weather city might not be a bad idea.

    Exactly. The 90 million people that make the event so big couldn't care less where the game is played, just that the entire event is entertaining. The Super Bowl didn't become the event it is today because of Miami, or SoCal, or Arizona weather.

    I dislike media people as a whole. Stop telling me how to feel.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  10. #39
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    No offense to Indy, but if my team goes to the Super Bowl, I would want it to be a huge party. And when I think of partying, I don't think of Indianapolis.

    Look, this is the NFL extorting cities into building huge stadia so that they can host a Super Bowl. It's sad but true.
    You should check out Cologne, Germany for Karnival or any northern European city for New Years. Cold weather cities can put on humongous parties if they get the chance. Of course you might want to serve up some Gluhwein (hot mulled wine) to keep everybody warm and happy.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  11. #40
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    You should check out Cologne, Germany for Karnival or any northern European city for New Years. Cold weather cities can put on humongous parties if they get the chance. Of course you might want to serve up some Gluhwein (hot mulled wine) to keep everybody warm and happy.
    Exactly, I am not gonna make everyone thing thay Indianapolis is the "Bourbon Street" of the midwest but If your looking for a party in Indy it won't be hard to find!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25