Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's sort of the point though George, they're going to build the practice facility and hopefully the area as a whole will get a face lift in the next 4 years.
    Irvington(just to the east of Tech) has supposedly been on the verge of the up and up since I moved here in 2000 and maybe this will be the necessary extra push.
    I certainly don't think that particular sector compares to Over the Rhine.
    I lived just east of Tech High School not to long ago and trust me it is hardly an area you want to be at night or even day for that matter. I just think it would have been a better idea to have the practice facility put in Fishers, Westfield, Franklin Township or another area where it will be safe for out of towners to go. I am confident that dumping nine million dollars into a football facilty will hardly make a dent into that dismal area of town. Also factor in the potential lousy publicity the city would get should something tragic happen to one of the out of towners that visit that area of town. It just seems foolish that a bunch of do gooders are putting others at risk in the HOPES that they MIGHT revitalize an area of town.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I lived just east of Tech High School not to long ago and trust me it is hardly an area you want to be at night or even day for that matter. I just think it would have been a better idea to have the practice facility put in Fishers, Westfield, Franklin Township or another area where it will be safe for out of towners to go. I am confident that dumping nine million dollars into a football facilty will hardly make a dent into that dismal area of town. Also factor in the potential lousy publicity the city would get should something tragic happen to one of the out of towners that visit that area of town. It just seems foolish that a bunch of do gooders are putting others at risk in the HOPES that they MIGHT revitalize an area of town.

How many people are going to be at the practice facility at night?

I'm pretty sure there may be some security presence in the immediate area anyway.

I dunno, I think putting the facility in one of the suburbs would kind of defeat the purpose. I can assure you Westfield and Fishers don't need the money.

Dumping nine million dollars into a football field may not revitalize the area, but it more than likely will alleviate much of the cost of outdoor athletics for IPS for the next few years. That money can be redistributed to other useful things. Investment can always have a benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    How many people are going to be at the practice facility at night?

I'm pretty sure there may be some security presence in the immediate area anyway.

I dunno, I think putting the facility in one of the suburbs would kind of defeat the purpose. I can assure you Westfield and Fishers don't need the money.

Dumping nine million dollars into a football field may not revitalize the area, but it more than likely will alleviate much of the cost of outdoor athletics for IPS for the next few years. That money can be redistributed to other useful things. Investment can always have a benefit.
    That area isn't safe during the day either.

I don't think its an issue of who needs the money, its an issue of where is the best place to put the facility that will benefit the city as a whole. Nothing potentially bad will happen in the suburbs while you have a huge risk of something bad happening in the Tech area and again all for something that will have little impact on a very poor part of town.

God forbid an out of town reporter gets jumped or shot on the way to the practice facilty. It will be a black eye on the city and something that could hinder us getting other events of that stature in the future, and the only real benefit would be pumping money into an area of town that likely will have little impact.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 05-21-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    That area isn't safe during the day either.

I don't think its an issue of who needs the money, its an issue of where is the best place to put the facility that will benefit the city as a whole. Nothing potentially bad will happen in the suburbs while you have a huge risk of something bad happening in the Tech area and again all for something that will have little impact on a very poor part of town.

God forbid an out of town reporter gets jumped or shot on the way to the practice facilty. It will be a black eye on the city and something that could hinder us getting other events of that stature in the future, and the only real benefit would be pumping money into an area of town that likely will have little impact.
    Maybe I am wrong but I work in that area a few days a week and I really dont think its that bad. I dont think any reporters are going to "get jumped" causing a black eye for the city anyway but I am sure there will be a major IMPD presence there during the Super Bowl week.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's always the sportswriters who raise the biggest stink about it. It seemed like they were the only ones supporting the idea by, I think it was Jerry Colangelo, of having a neutral site World Series. They want all major winter sporting events in warm weather locales so that they can take a trip to someplace nice and charge it to their employer. I've come to the conclusion that I don't care where the game is played, as long as the game is interesting. The Pro Bowl is in a nice place and nobody cares because it's not interesting. Hence my notion that having the game outdoors in a cold weather city might not be a bad idea.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

No offense to Indy, but if my team goes to the Super Bowl, I would want it to be a huge party. And when I think of partying, I don't think of Indianapolis.

Look, this is the NFL extorting cities into building huge stadia so that they can host a Super Bowl. It's sad but true.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    It's always the sportswriters who raise the biggest stink about it. It seemed like they were the only ones supporting the idea by, I think it was Jerry Colangelo, of having a neutral site World Series. They want all major winter sporting events in warm weather locales so that they can take a trip to someplace nice and charge it to their employer. I've come to the conclusion that I don't care where the game is played, as long as the game is interesting. The Pro Bowl is in a nice place and nobody cares because it's not interesting. Hence my notion that having the game outdoors in a cold weather city might not be a bad idea.

Exactly. The 90 million people that make the event so big couldn't care less where the game is played, just that the entire event is entertaining. The Super Bowl didn't become the event it is today because of Miami, or SoCal, or Arizona weather.

I dislike media people as a whole. Stop telling me how to feel.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    No offense to Indy, but if my team goes to the Super Bowl, I would want it to be a huge party. And when I think of partying, I don't think of Indianapolis.

Look, this is the NFL extorting cities into building huge stadia so that they can host a Super Bowl. It's sad but true.
    You should check out Cologne, Germany for Karnival or any northern European city for New Years. Cold weather cities can put on humongous parties if they get the chance. Of course you might want to serve up some Gluhwein (hot mulled wine) to keep everybody warm and happy.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    You should check out Cologne, Germany for Karnival or any northern European city for New Years. Cold weather cities can put on humongous parties if they get the chance. Of course you might want to serve up some Gluhwein (hot mulled wine) to keep everybody warm and happy.
    Exactly, I am not gonna make everyone thing thay Indianapolis is the "Bourbon Street" of the midwest but If your looking for a party in Indy it won't be hard to find!!!

Turn Off Ads?