Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: No reason to bat Janish in the 2 hole

Re: No reason to bat Janish in the 2 hole

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Shhh...Dusty's on a roll...

I swear, every time I read about Baker's interaction with a writer or announcer, all I can think of is Pootie Tang and Bob Costas. Here's how it must be for C. Trent:

Dusty Tang: "Taw me on the P-Janny in da' tootie ho!"
    C. Trent: "I'm sorry, Dusty, but what?"
    Dusty Tang: "P-Janny hippa tootie nah da' out to booto-o. Nah nay no eas-tay fo' da OP."
    C. Trent: "What the hell are you talking about?"
    Dusty Tang: "P-Janny-ay out da' botto-o inna bunty-bay fo' shore, rinna?"
    C. Trent: "Oh! OH!! Bunty-bay fo' P-Janny-tay in da' tootie ho anna nah no eas-tay inny fo' OP at da' booto-o!"
    Dusty Tang: "It da' may, C. Trent. It so do ditty tai see it da' may. Toothpick?"
    Without a doubt, the funniest and most clever thing I've ever read on Redszone. Loved it!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dusty Tang will draw you a picture of how you're gonna kick his ass, then mails it to you ten days in advance. The picture gets there right? You're goin', "What the hell is this?" and then Dusty Tang knocks on your door, promptly gets his ass kicked and still doesn't know what happened to him.

.....To the next 2 years.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I originally underestimated just how much Janish would struggle offensively, so I will mention that first. It would be best for now if he is going to be starting at SS(and he will for the next week or so) to put him down much lower in the lineup. The concern I have is about his defense. We can keep him on the roster if he fields well even if he continues to struggle offensively, but he has struggled so far defensively. I will concede he has good range, but he has 3 errors in 67 opportunities for a .955 fielding percentage. This is a small sample size to be sure, but he will need to do better defensively if he is not to be sent down when Keppinger and Hairston return.

Janish in the 2 hole is not a great idea, but this team has other issues as well. Between Janish, Bako and the pitcher there are three nearly automatic outs in the line-up. The middle of the order is hampered by a #3 hitter who can't slug anymore but is left there as a lifetime acheivement award and the main power sources are pretty streaky. The two best overall hitters appear to be the two rookies at 1B and CF.

The Reds need to get higher OBP at the top and may be able to do this without disrespecting the HOF in RF. The one remaining skill that Griffey has is a decent ability to get on base. IMO, its time to go to Griffey and ask him to be the lead-off guy. It could be phrased as an attempt to get the best hitters the most at bats. My line-up with the current configuration?

Griffey, Dunn, Bruce, EdE, Votto, Phillips, Catcher, Janish, Pitcher.

When Kepp Returns:

Griffey, Keppinger, Bruce, Dunn, EdE, Votto, Phillips, Catcher, Pitcher.

In the upcoming DH Games, Griffey DH's and with Hairston and Freel out, I'd activate Hopper and let him play CF with Bruce in RF (Hopper doesn't have the arm for RF IMO).

Griffey, Keppinger, Bruce, Dunn, EdE, Votto, Phillips, Hopper, Catcher.

The EDE, Votto, Phillips part of the order can fluctuate based on who is hot IMO. If they are all equally hot, I like Phillips speed in front of the weaker hitters. The value of stealing a base goes-up when its less likely that the guys behind him will get an extra base hit or string hits together. A steal means only a single is needed and hoping for more from the bottom of the order is a dicey gamble. OTOH, a steal in front of Dunn, Bruce, Votto etc is of less value as its just taking a chance of getting thrown out in front of an extra base hit or a HR. If those types of hits occur, he'd score from 1B anyhow.

When the DH games are over, I hope for a Griffey to the AL deal. The pitchers really need more support defensively and with a fly ball pitching staff, the RF range is the single biggest defensive problem of the many defensive problems on this team. Assuming no acquisition in return to make an impact, Hopper and eventually Hairston or Freel man CF.

Against RHP
    Keppinger SS
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Dunn LF
    EDE 3B
    Phillips 2B
    CF
    C
    P

Against LHP
    Keppinger SS
    Bruce RF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    EdE 3B
    Votto 1B
    CF
    C
    P
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Shhh...Dusty's on a roll...

I swear, every time I read about Baker's interaction with a writer or announcer, all I can think of is Pootie Tang and Bob Costas. Here's how it must be for C. Trent:

Dusty Tang: "Taw me on the P-Janny in da' tootie ho!"
    C. Trent: "I'm sorry, Dusty, but what?"
    Dusty Tang: "P-Janny hippa tootie nah da' out to booto-o. Nah nay no eas-tay fo' da OP."
    C. Trent: "What the hell are you talking about?"
    Dusty Tang: "P-Janny-ay out da' botto-o inna bunty-bay fo' shore, rinna?"
    C. Trent: "Oh! OH!! Bunty-bay fo' P-Janny-tay in da' tootie ho anna nah no eas-tay inny fo' OP at da' booto-o!"
    Dusty Tang: "It da' may, C. Trent. It so do ditty tai see it da' may. Toothpick?"
    Classic SD!

Maybe they need to hire Barbara Billingsley to translate? ....

Last edited by GAC; 06-15-2008 at 07:11 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    "A guy got on me about him batting second, I can’t have too many outs at the bottom either and give them an easy inning," Baker said.
    The again... maybe it's better when we can't understand him? Less pain.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-15-2008 at 07:17 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I can't believe I used to defend Dusty. And actually I still think he has some very good qualities as a manager. But he has completely lost me with his foolish lineups. Corey Patterson leadoff, Paul Janish second and Ken Griffey Jr. third is about as bad as it gets, and he has put those players in those spots several times this season. Every once in a while a manager is going to run a bad lineup out there. It's going to happen with a 162-game schedule. But the problem with Dusty is he runs his least-effective lineup out there for the vast majority of the 162 games. It takes guys literally going on the Interstate before he realizes they are terrible. No, I take that back, Janish was under .200 last night and he still batted second. Maybe .150 is Dusty's cut-off point?

And we all know he's stuck at shortstop right now. That's not Dusty's fault. But if you are forced to start Paul Janish, you better bat him eighth. It's just amazing to me that Dusty disrespects his own lineup in the fashion that he does. How can someone who played the game and has managed the game for years not understand that you want your best hitters to come to the plate as much as possible?

At least Janish isn't scheduled for the 2 hole today, thank you Dusty.
    per fay blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

.....To the next 2 years.
    You had to remind me
    Go Gators!

Looks like Baker had a goog two hole hitter not too long ago, now his lead off hitter is struggling, maybe that lead off hitter should just go back to the two hole with Griffey behind him.

Turn Off Ads?