Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hal McCoy

Hal McCoy

on Ken Griffey Jr.

OK, so it is time to address Griffey. Yes, I like Ken Griffey Jr. As a human being there is no better person. If all of us were half the person he is in what he does for people this world would be a much better place.

I’ve kept quiet for a long time about the postings about Griffey - even when a supposed friend accuses me of protecting him because he is a friend or some moron accusing him of giving me a car.

No. 1 - Griffey does not loaf. No, he doesn’t run hard. Why? The guy has two screws keeping his butt attached to his leg. He has had surgery on every ligament, muscle and moving part in both legs. It is a miracle he can run as fast as he does.

Nobody said he didn’t care or had a poor attitude when he was a superstar. His attitude was exactly the same then as it is now. He is not an outwardly emotional person. Does he have to jump up and down and do somersaults to show people he cares. I know he cares. Losing kills him. Not doing well, not helping his team, hurts him even more.

What do people want him to do, apologize because he isn’t hitting home runs or driving in runs?

No. 2 - He is not a cancer in the clubhouse and he is not a bad influence. He is one of the most positive guys in that room and shares his thoughts and experiences with all his teammates, young and old. He is probably the best-liked guy in the clubhouse by his teammates.

And let’s quit saying, trade him, move him to Seattle. He isn’t going. Understand that. He isn’t going. He has said he won’t go to Seattle. So it is moot and it is a waste of effort and breath to keep saying trade him.

He’ll be with the Reds the rest of the season and then he’ll be gone. The Reds aren’t likely to pick up his option.

And if I like the guy, so sue me. He has meant an awful lot to this game and meant an awful lot to scores of people he has helped - without making a big issue out of it or seeking publicity about it.

I’ve never covered a guy who likes to talk about himself less than Griffey does. Talk about other people, fine. Talk about his accomplishments? Go talk to somebody else.

Unfortunately, most baseball fans can only see the surface. What is the guy doing for me now? That’s true, to a point. Are Griffey’s skills diminished? Yes. Injuries and age have taken the inevitable toll.

But the Reds won’t take him out back and shoot him. He’ll be gone after this year and the fans who are always looking for a fall guy can turn their sights on somebody else.

And he has never bought me so much as a cup of coffee, let alone a car. Besides, I can’t drive a car, remember?
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2006: 7-2
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2007: 2-0
    Reds record while I'm in attendance in 2008: 0-1
    "I wish the stadium was filled up every night." - Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Enquirer - February 9, 2007

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Re: Hal McCoy

Hal is right on the money.

well said

As wrong as he is about Homer, he's right on about Junior.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

About time someone said something, the guy will always be one of the greatest to ever wear a uniform, maybe not a Reds uniform but a baseball uniform no question about it.

Didn't Junior say "It would always be nice to go back where you started?" Where has he said he won't go to Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Didn't Junior say "It would always be nice to go back where you started?" Where has he said he won't go to Seattle?
    Hal might be talking about a conversation he had with him personally.

If he's that injured than he shouldn't be playing, I got no remorse for him. Team has been terrible since he got here, and as the teams so called star, he should field much of the blame. Right now, he flat out sucks. Rats off to ya.

Great piece. It's a travesty that some point to him as being the reason for the Reds losing, and that immediately Bruce would turn around the team with Griffey out of Cincinnati right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    With regard to that he's talked about doing something like signing a one day contract with Seattle when he was ready to retire, so he could retire a Mariner. Kind of like Jerry Rice did with the San Francisco 49ers, and a few other players in various sports.

The interviews and comments I've read lately seem to indicate he has no real interest or desire in going back to Seattle to play. A lot of that "it would be nice to go back where you started" seemed to be an emotional response born out of the reception he got from the fans when he was back in Seattle with the Reds last year. I have little doubt it was sincere at the time, but I also have little doubt that media and fans made the comment out to be bigger than it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    If he's that injured than he shouldn't be playing, I got no remorse for him. Team has been terrible since he got here, and as the teams so called star, he should field much of the blame. Right now, he flat out sucks. Rats off to ya.
    You know, it would be mildly interesting to read all of your 156 posts to see if any of them have any real substance and if all of them are negative and downright nasty and mean spirited, particularly anything about Griffey.

You are either a common internet troll and no Reds fan, or else you lack the ability to separate a game and team we all love from the actual more important things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post
    You know, it would be mildly interesting to read all of your 156 posts to see if any of them have any real substance and if all of them are negative and downright nasty and mean spirited, particularly anything about Griffey.

You are either a common internet troll and no Reds fan, or else you lack the ability to separate a game and team we all love from the actual more important things in life.

Well said, I completely agree

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post

Great post!

In this time with stories about Bonds and Clemens we often seem to overlook the value of Griffey being a good guy. While we know the generalities of his injuries and what has been done to his legs, I doubt many of us know what it is like to play baseball with those past injuries and with screws holding your muscles to your bones in your shoulder and legs.

I love all the posts applauding Hal for this article.

Defending Ken Griffey Jr. = GREAT ARTICLE!
    Ripping Homer = HORRIBLE WRITER! How can Hal write something like this? Despicable!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    thumbdownthumbdown:thumbdown
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Turn Off Ads?