Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is Lehr???

Re: Where is Lehr???

Here comes Daryl Thompson?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've heard that Jordan Smith is being promoted to Chattanooga this week so I wouldn't be too surprised to see Thompson promoted to Louisville.

Wasn't Ramon Ramirez promoted to take Lehr's spot? He's on L'Ville's roster and MILB.com.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Interesting transaction today for the Reds

The Reds have sold the contract of minor league RHP Justin Lehr to the Doosan Bears of the Korean Professional League.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog
    I'm not too up on the minor league transaction thing.
    Can a team just up and trade you to the Korean League or say the Japanese League ?
    If so , why dont we see this more often ?
    I guess it would change things for example going home and telling wife you were traded.
    Instead of "we're moving to Kansas city" , it would be " we're moving to Zimbulabula".

I wonder why they didn't bring Lehr up and give him a couple of starts to see if he could do anything? Matt Belisle was blocking him? Geez. Maybe Lehr could have been long relief instead of Fogg. Seems like he pitched well enough in Louisville to get a look. I don't see how he could possibly hurt the Reds' pitching staff.

I agree. I was hoping he might get a major league chance. Didn't see what that would hurt. They've tried everyone else.

Hate to see Lehr go but perhaps this is a first move on Jocketty's part to clear Louisville of the professional minor leaguers and start to accelerate movement throughout the whole system. If that's the case, then I like it. Thompson and Jukich should both go to Louisville, IMHO, as should Cody Strait and Shaun Cumberland.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Wasn't Ramon Ramirez promoted to take Lehr's spot? He's on L'Ville's roster and MILB.com.

Why was Ramirez promoted over Thompson ? I don't understand.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sweet was talking of this on pre-game so I take it, yes.

So, this is Jockety's idea of wanting to win?

He could have at least given him a shot at Belisle's spot this year and see what happens. A couple of years ago when the Mets dominated the National League, they used 17 different starting pitchers. Some did well that no one would have expected to do well, only because they tried. They didn't continue throwing out there a pitcher that was ineffective.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    So, this is Jockety's idea of wanting to win?

He could have at least given him a shot at Belisle's spot this year and see what happens. A couple of years ago when the Mets dominated the National League, they used 17 different starting pitchers. Some did well that no one would have expected to do well, only because they tried. They didn't continue throwing out there a pitcher that was ineffective.
    Maybe they already knew what would happen, so they didn't waste that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe they already knew what would happen, so they didn't waste that chance.
    Hopefully you're joking. As you know, nobody ever knows until they're given the opportunity, especially in a small sample. He could get a fast start. New pitchers always have an advantage over a batter and he's old enough to not get rattled because he's in the Majors. Would have liked to have seen him given a chance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Hopefully you're joking. As you know, nobody ever knows until they're given the opportunity, especially in a small sample. He could get a fast start. New pitchers always have an advantage over a batter and he's old enough to not get rattled because he's in the Majors. Would have liked to have seen him given a chance.
    I wasn't really joking. Sure, you never truly know until you let it happen... but that doesn't mean you should let it happen if everything you see tells you it won't work. Sure, I could win a gun fight with a knife, but the odds aren't with me.

Here is what we do know, in his major league career the numbers have not been good. This is the first decent year he has had since 2004. Is he having the best season of his life at age 30? Certainly possible. I don't think the Reds wanted to really find out though and I don't really blame them.

Moving Lehr didn't puzzle me at all or bother me. Move Pettyjohn and Shearn out, too if they want. None are going to give you better than Belisle or even Fogg, imo. Move up Jukich and Thompson along with Ramirez and make the Louisville staff an actual replacement pitcher resource for the big team, or a source of trade bait. All these career minor leaguers there have little value other than filling the Bats roster.

Righthanded pitcher Justin Lehr is headed for Korea. The Reds sold his contract Friday to the Doosan Bears of the Korea Professional League.

Lehr, 30, was 4-2 with a 2.41 ERA in eight starts for the Class AAA Louisville Bats, walking only nine in 52 1/3 innings while striking out 34.

“Lehr had a clause in his contract that said if a Korean club approached him, we had to let him go and that’s exactly what happened,” said general manager Walt Jocketty. “We had an opportunity to match their offer but it wasn’t something we wanted to do.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

Turn Off Ads?