Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty playing favorites with Patterson??

Dusty playing favorites with Patterson??

I hate to bring something up like this but b/c of how bad Patterson is playing and yet Dusty keeps putting him in the lineup,it really is making me wonder.IMHO Freel has played alot better this year than Patterson,yes both hav'nt really done that much but atleast Freel brings you the energy,heart every game.Freel makes better contact when he plays and he gets on base more than Patterson.

I really think Patterson is playing more b/c he played for Dusty before.It really stinks having to watch a player like Patterson get to play everyday even if he can't hit the ball out of the infield.:thumbdown

I think Votto,also needs to sit and Hatty should be given a chance to play just so Votto,can get his head back on straight.There is no sense in making a vetern player that makes solid contact and gives you real good atbats sit.Thats another way to get Hatty's trade value up.

I also think Jr should sit for a few games b/c he is trying to hard trying to hit number 598.Sit him and let him get his head on straight so maybe he can get back to atleast making solid contact again.
    Last edited by WVPacman; 05-22-2008 at 06:25 PM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty playing favorites with Patterson??

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    I hate to bring something up like this but b/c of how bad Patterson is playing and yet Dusty keeps putting him in the lineup,it really is making me wonder.IMHO Freel has played alot better this year than Patterson,yes both hav'nt really done that much but atleast Freel brings you the energy,heart every game.Freel makes better contact when he plays and he gets on base more than Patterson.

I really think Patterson is playing more b/c he played for Dusty before.It really stinks having to watch a player like Patterson get to play everyday even if he can't hit the ball out of the infield.:thumbdown
    I think that you’re on to something as I cannot see a general manager picking up a third catcher with career numbers .236 .309 .324 .632, when he already had two of them, picking up an unemployed centerfielder with career numbers .257 .296 .413 .709, when he already two of those or better on hand, or a backup second baseman who occasionally fills in in the outfield with career numbers .254 .325 .361 .686 when the gm already has that quality in quantity on hand, let alone having them playing regularly. I think that Baker sold these three to the Reds and now is stuck with trying to get them to produce to support his original position on them.

I think Votto,also needs to sit and Hatty should be given a chance to play just so Votto,can get his head back on straight.There is no sense in making a vetern player that makes solid contact and gives you real good atbats sit.Thats another way to get Hatty's trade value up.
    Giving Votto rest and keeping Hatteberg sharper by playing him against right handed pitchers wouldn't hurt. Though Votto needs to get the majority of the playing time.

I also think Jr should sit for a few games b/c he is trying to hard trying to hit number 598.Sit him and let him get his head on straight so maybe he can get back to atleast making solid contact again.
    I think that the numbers indicate that Griffey should be getting rest against LH pitchers, be batting down in the order, and perhaps Hairston or Freel should be his late inning replacement or start in his place against left handers. His batting third is nothing but another courtesy, courtesy of Baker.
    If moving Griffey was a potential problem the manager could easily check with the GM and ownership if it was a problem.

1. Patterson needs to go. Bruce is ready and always was. If you don't want Bruce - I'd take Freel any day of the week over Patterson. Patterson is a 4th outfielder at best and should bat no higher than 6th.

2. I have no problem with Votto continuing to play. However, Hatteberg should be given at least a few more at bats if not just for the sake of getting his average up so we get something of value for him when he is traded.

3. Griffey needs to keep playing. He is the least of our worries, at least for the time being when Patterson keeps starting.

Dusty has to play him.

#1 - He was instrumental in bringing him to the club to begin with.

#2 - It's not just Patterson. Look at the way Dusty constructs the entire lineup (batting order). I personally disagree with his entire approach (offensively) to the game.

#3 - Maybe, somehow, Dusty is trying to give this kid one final chance to redeem (prove) himself? That somehow he'll get it together.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I agree with you about Patterson, Dusty needs to wake up and quit giving him so much playing time. It would be one thing if we had a solid offense and could hit him 8th, I would love to have his glove but with little to no offense at C, SS, and RF its hard to play him even if he is not leading off.

As for Votto, I think he is in his first big league slump and he needs to learn to play through it. Every time he struggles you can't sit him he has to figure it out for himself.

On Junior, I don't think he is trying too hard to hit 598 I think he is just getting to the point where it will start coming together for him. Balls to the warning track the last two nights. Don't think he will ever be a 3 hitter again but Dusty won't move him so no reason to discuss it.

Dusty has always had his guys and he's always given them more rope then other players, Patterson is one of his guys and it'll probably take a directive from the GM to get him to play Bruce if/when he comes up.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    3. Griffey needs to keep playing. He is the least of our worries, at least for the time being when Patterson keeps starting.
    I disagree there.

In the #3 spot his SLG% is 150 pts BELOW league average. His legs are shot. There is no sound reason for Baker to be batting him #3 or anywhere near the top of the order, where he is not producing, while guys like EE , Votto, and Keppinger (when he was in there) are hitting in the bottom half.

Baker needs to see and understand that this is not the same KGJr of old highlight films. Instead, like yesterday, I hear him saying Jr just needs to string together a few hits, or he'll turn it on as the weather gets hotter. Our manager is in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    As for Votto, I think he is in his first big league slump and he needs to learn to play through it. Every time he struggles you can't sit him he has to figure it out for himself.
    Exactly. He has no problem benching a Votto, yet is downright stubborn when it comes to a Patterson or even Jr whose numbers are downright deplorable.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    ...I personally disagree with his entire approach (offensively) to the game.
    i think Dusty's post season debacle as Cubs manager screwed up his own beliefs on running the offense. I can remember that pretty much until the playoffs Dusty did a lot of hit and running. like ludicrous amounts of it. but we haven't really seen it all this year where it'd be appropriate, like with Keppinger or even Hairston batting. the only time i can remember Dusty trying it this year was with Patterson hitting. . .

for a guy who's supposed to be a 'throw back,' where is the the throwing back? unless the reference is to Dusty and drinking, which might account for something.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I'm surprised that word hasn't come down from above regarding issues such as Patterson.

It isn't difficult to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm surprised that word hasn't come down from above regarding issues such as Patterson.

It isn't difficult to figure out.
    I think the answer to that is easy, Castellini hired Baker, for some reason he seems to really like Baker. Baker wanted Patterson. Castellini pressured Krivsky to sign Patterson. Castellini is stuck supporting the playing of Patterson to justify the hires of Baker and Patterson.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Worth The Wait

Maybe Dusty doesn't realize Patterson is having a horrid year. After all, he hasn't really been striking out much (that quote from Dusty still baffles me).

John FAY kind of hinted on the radio tonight that he thinks Jay Bruce will be up Tuesday and that the person that could go would be Patterson..

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    John FAY kind of hinted on the radio tonight that he thinks Jay Bruce will be up Tuesday and that the person that could go would be Patterson..

It should be Javy Valentin. Then Mike Lincoln.

maybe Dusty is playing favorites but his options are rather limited. Patterson batting leadoff has been beyond absurd. Without Kepp out and Bruce in CF the Reds really don't have a leadoff hitter.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?