Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Mock Draft

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: NBA Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Rose only averaged like 14 PPG and 5.7 APG.
    Stats aren't the best way to evaluate him, IMO. Memphis' system didn't help him out a lot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3 View Post
    While Beasley is a big time talent and should be a great NBA player, finding a solid PF is a lot easier than finding an elite PG. If I was drafting for the Bulls I would take Rose and deal Hinrich for a C. The Bulls just took Noah in the 1st round last year and have about a dozen PF on their current roster.
    Elite PGs aren't what brings NBA titles, though. All-time transcendent stars and top of the era bigs do. Always take the big man when given the choice.

It's not likely that Beasley becomes an all-time legend, but him becoming one of the best bigs of his time are quite a bit better, given his all-around skill set.

The Bulls need a dominant big if they want to overtake Boston, Cleveland, or Detroit anytime soon. Hinrich won't bring the necessary top of the line big.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

(Obviously excluding the top 2) I am really high on Mayo, Kevin Love, Joe Alexander, Russell Westbrook and Donte Greene being productive NBA players.
    I really hope the Bulls take Beasley, and the Wolves take Mayo. I think those are good pairings. Rose with Miami concenrs me - he's talented but will he actually get a chance to run the team with Wade and Marion? Will he get a chance to shoot more than 10 times a game with those two and Ricky Davis?

1.Chicago - F Michael Beasley
    2.Miami - PG Derrick Rose
    3.Minnesota - G OJ Mayo
    4.Seattle - C Brook Lopez
    5.Memphis - PF Kevin Love
    6.New York - G Jerryd Bayless
    7.LA Clippers - SG Eric Gordon
    8.Milwaukee - SF Danillo Gallinari
    9.Charlotte - SF Joe Alexander
    10.New Jersey - SF Anthony Randolph
    11.Indiana - PG Russell Westbrook
    12.Sacramento - PF Donte Greene
    13.Portland - PG DJ Augustine
    14.Golden State - C DeAndre Jordan
    15.Phoenix -PF Darrell Arthur
    16.Philadelphia - C Javale McGee
    17.Toronto - C Robin Lopez
    18.Washington - PF Maresse Speights
    19.Cleveland- PF Nathan Jawai
    20.Denver - SF Nicholas Batum
    21.New Jersey - C Kosta Koufous
    22.Orlando - SG Chris Douglas-Roberts
    23.Utah - SG/F Chase Budinger
    24.Seattle - C Roy Hibbert
    25.Houston - SG Bill Walker
    26.San Antonio - PF DJ White
    27.New Orleans - SG Brandon Rush
    28.Memphis - PF J. J. Hickson
    29.Detroit - PF Jason Thompson
    30.Boston - PG Mario Chalmers

Rose only averaged like 14 PPG and 5.7 APG. His stock just "rose" in the tournament. Beasley was a monster all season long, and even had a better year than Durant did last year. Rose is great, but he isn't really a distribution-kinda PG. Hinrich is at the very least a great defender, where as Tyrus Thomas has disappointed the Bulls somewhat. Gooden does nothing to change your draft choice. Plus, with Hinrich's off year - his trade value is at an all time low.

Mayo over Beasley? HUGE mistake. Doubt it happens.
    I agree with you that Mayo shouldn't go ahead of Beasley. But I disagree with your assessment of Rose's game. I think he can be a star in the NBA. His stats were down because Memphis blew people out of the water most of the season, and has as much depth as any team in the country. If Rose was asked to score 20 a game and drop 10 dimes, he could have. But that's not what Memphis needed.

Personally, I'd take Rose over Beasley. The Hawks took Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron Williams. Now, Beasley's game is way more refined than Marvin's ever was, but if you have a shot at a great point guard in today's game, you take him. And personally, I think Rose can be great.

Mayo on the other hand.... blah

Don't get me wrong - Rose is a great player and will probably have a stellar career. Beasley just fits better in Chicago than Rose IMO. I also don't see Rose becoming Paul/Deron. Chicago has a very nice "problem" though.

I'm not a fan of Kevin Love at all. I don't see him being athletic enough for the NBA especially considering a big part of his game is under the basket. See May, Sean.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Rose only averaged like 14 PPG and 5.7 APG. His stock just "rose" in the tournament. Beasley was a monster all season long, and even had a better year than Durant did last year. Rose is great, but he isn't really a distribution-kinda PG. Hinrich is at the very least a great defender, where as Tyrus Thomas has disappointed the Bulls somewhat. Gooden does nothing to change your draft choice. Plus, with Hinrich's off year - his trade value is at an all time low.

Mayo over Beasley? HUGE mistake. Doubt it happens.
    At the same time, a top flight PG will have more of an impact on a team than a top flight SF/PF. Ask the Atlanta Hawks.

Rose fits the bill of a distribution PG when you compare him to Mayo, which is why Rose will be taken over him. He has a better chance of co-existing and setting up DWade than if the Heat opted for OJ. JMO, but I think Miami is preparing for life without Wade when the Knicks come calling in 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I see Miami trading down a few spots, hoping to get Mayo and grab another body for the right to draft Beasley.

Chicago desperately needs an offensive plan. They've just been a disorganized mess, particularly due to the lack of a leader at point. With Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah down low, I think Rose is a shoe-in for them. Heinrich could be dealt as early as draft night.

I don't think there's any chance Koufous. He's 7'1" and has a nice skill set for a 19 year old. I simply don't see Brook Lopez that much better. I was Cleveland and he fell to me, I'd try and trade Big Z and change for Jermaine O'Neil, draft Koufous, and go from there.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 05-24-2008 at 09:02 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't think there's any chance Koufous. He's 7'1" and has a nice skill set for a 19 year old. I simply don't see Brook Lopez that much better. I was Cleveland and he fell to me, I'd try and trade Big Z and change for Jermaine O'Neil, draft Koufous, and go from there.
    count me in as a Cavs fan that would love to see Kosta in wine and gold. He has a similar skill set to a young Z, I'd love to keep the local kid around too. Cleveland might not have to worry about him bolting to Europe as much as other teams might as well

In my mind Beasley is by far the best player in the draft. He is the best player in the draft since LeBron. He is the only big man in the draft with can't-miss superstar written all over him.

There are plenty of guards to choose from this year. Mayo will be the best in year 1, but Rose and others will eventually pass him. I think Mayo's game is a little bit maxed out. He has already reached most of his potential. He is a couple years older than the other freshmen coming out this year. I hope we really does great though. I sure enjoyed watching him and Bill Walker in high school at North College Hill.

Beasley >>>>>>>> Marvin Wililams, etc.

There was sooooo much love for Durant last year, why no love for a guy who is better (IMO)?

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

There was sooooo much love for Durant last year, why no love for a guy who is better (IMO)?
    And Durant was also taken second overall.

I have nothing against Beasley. He has the skills to be an excellent inside out player. I just think if you have to choose between a floor general and a wingman/post player you go with the former.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Sure. I think everyone wants a floor general over a wing/post and a big over everyone.

However, when the wing/post is the better player (not even close IMO) you run with it. You are drafting players not positions.

The Durant reference was about people who wanted him over Oden last season. Plus, Oden>Rose and Beasley>Durant.

I completely agree with you that Beasley is way more polished than Williams ever was. Williams was based purely on athletic ability and potential, which is always a mistake (see: Thomas, Tyrus). And I also agree with you about Beasley going first to the Bulls. And I couldn't say that I disagree with that choice, they've been dying for a back to the basket player for years now.

I think Beasley will be an all-pro in the league for a long time, but if I was starting a team and had to pick one of them, I think I'd pick Rose. I like his chances of being a great point guard, and Chris Paul and Deron Williams are glowing examples of what great point guards can do to a franchise.

Rose is a dynamo and will lead the Bulls back to the Finals. They would be fools not to take Rose.

I started my mock draft 4 days ago and i've only got ~10 picks done, i'm hoping to work on it a lot today and i'll post it here later.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Turn Off Ads?