Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Are we turning into East Germany

Are we turning into East Germany

Marion Jones, Justin Gatlin, Antonio Pettigrew, Tim Montgomery, and many others....
    We already have the best facilities and most funding, do we really need to cheat so much?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are we turning into East Germany

Turning?
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The East Germans doped because of national pride. US athletes do it for the $$$ and the fame.
    /r/reds

In our case, its individual athletes choosing to cheat. In the DDR, the cheating was systematic and involved taking children away from their parents to participate in boarding school-like sports academies and injected them with steroids as part of their training program. The government-sponsored programs were developed not so much for national pride but rather to try to convince their own people that Soviet-style athletic programs could compete with and succeed against the capitalist, individualistic sporting culture of the West.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 05-23-2008 at 12:16 AM.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    In our case, its individual athletes choosing to cheat. In the DDR, the cheating was systematic and involved taking children away from their parents to participate in boarding school-like sports academies and injected them with steroids as part of their training program. The government-sponsored programs were developed not so much for national pride but rather to try to convince their own people that Soviet-style athletic programs could compete with and succeed against the capitalist, individualistic sporting culture of the West.
    I completely understand that the USOC isn't injecting athletes with anabolic steroids. It would be crazy and paranoid to think that. However, I am afraid that we are perceived to be cheaters. We have always been quick to judge against others and play the underdog role. I think that perception is completely destroyed.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Turn Off Ads?