Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 college football coaches

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Top 10 college football coaches

Go Jim Tressel!!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

#9: Tommy Tuberville

I'm not going any further. Who's #1? Saban?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Jim Grobe's defense this year will be scary good.

Where is Charlie Weis?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Where is Charlie Weis?

He's certainly not tough to spot.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I guess it would be arguing semantics, but I think Tressel or Carroll could be interchangable at #1. I think they are both great coaches, and I would give the edge slightly to Pete Carroll, but I think Jim Tressel gets more out of less from his players. It definitely seems to me that Carroll has better players each year, while perhaps maybe Tressel is benefitting from a weak Big X?

The only thing that frustrates me about each coach is that Carroll seems to routinely look past weaker opponents and sometimes gets tripped up by them, while Tressel will get a 3 or 7 point lead, and attempt to sit on it. I'd rather see Tressel go for the jugular and get at least a 2 score lead before he hands the ball off to the RB du jour, and settles for 3 and out series before putting a lot of stress on his D to hold the lead.

Regardless, both great coaches.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

You should have put a warning on that link for those of us who don't like to look at Mack Brown any more than we have to.

On another note, given the rumors swirling around USC, I wonder if Pete Carroll will be as highly-esteemed this time next year.
    /r/reds

That's a pretty good list.

I noticed that no one named Dusty was on it.

Give it a couple years and you will see Brian Kelly on there.

Anyone who went 41-9 at Lousiville has to be on the list. Scumbag or not, Bobby Petrino is absolutely one of the top 10 college football coaches.

No way is Tressel one of the top 2 coaches in the country. I don't even think he's in the 5. He's a really good coach, but he's got too many limitations. His lack of ability to caoch in faster paced games is a glaring weakness that's been exposed in the last 2 title games. When Tressel ball goes awry, he has no idea how to react.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Where's Phil Fulmer?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    No way is Tressel one of the top 2 coaches in the country. I don't even think he's in the 5. He's a really good coach, but he's got too many limitations. His lack of ability to caoch in faster paced games is a glaring weakness that's been exposed in the last 2 title games. When Tressel ball goes awry, he has no idea how to react.
    I would agree Tressel is not the #2 gameday coach in college football. But with college as opposed to pros "coach" encompasses so much more...i.e. the recruiting trail and getting your players to play to their max potential for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    So Tress is not in your top 5? So who is? I would love to see that list.
    because at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up--Marty B.

2014 record:
    GABP: 1-0 Wrigley: 1-1

Turn Off Ads?