Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton trade

Hamilton trade

I was one of the few who didn't like the trade of Hamilton, but consider this. You simply do not trade an every day player, one who will play in 150 + ( I know if is body holds up because of substance abuse) for a pitcher (Volquez who has been great) that will play in 30-35 games all year. Just doesn't make sense to me. Look at what Hamilton is doing, leading mvp contender, driving in runs at record pace and the Reds are no better. Just imagine what an outfield the Reds could have had in the years to come. I will never like this deal!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hamilton trade

I was hoping we would have an opportunity to discuss this trade.

I think there are many people who will disagree with you when you say you don't trade a top hitter for a top starting pitcher. In any event, we got the best pitcher in baseball, by nearly any measure, in return. I find it hard to believe you wouldn't like the trade.

Volquez is a great pitcher, no doubt about that. What you have to ask yourself is would Hamilton's offense have been enough to win us 5 or 6 more games up to this point. Volquez has won 7 games, another pitcher in his spot may have won 1 or 2. So that is 5 wins that Volquez is responsible for. Would Josh's bat been enough to make up those 5 games? If so then we are even. If his bat would have been enough to win 10 more games, then were 5 ahead.

As good as Josh's bat is the reality is he may have made a difference in 3-4 games. So I think we are in better shape with Volquez. At least up to this point.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fazio View Post
    I was one of the few who didn't like the trade of Hamilton, but consider this. You simply do not trade an every day player, one who will play in 150 + ( I know if is body holds up because of substance abuse) for a pitcher (Volquez who has been great) that will play in 30-35 games all year. Just doesn't make sense to me. Look at what Hamilton is doing, leading mvp contender, driving in runs at record pace and the Reds are no better. Just imagine what an outfield the Reds could have had in the years to come. I will never like this deal!!
    I know we have discussed this before on the board...and I agree with you. I hated the trade when I heard about it...even though I live right outside of Arlington,Texas and knew all about Volquez...I would not have traded Josh for him either.

Volquez is a stud pitcher, and unfortunately we had to give up something to get something. I just wish that "something" would have been some other players. Keep in mind, the Narron's were hired by the Rangers after last season, and not only are they Josh's support system, but they knew the type of talent they were getting.

If Josh stays clean...and I am betting he will...he will be a star here Texas for a long time. They love him already here. The talk shows around here think they got the best end of the deal, just like many of our fans feel we did.

Only time will tell.

I heard that Josh's pee cures cancer and AIDS. We should have it bottled and sold at games. I loved Josh Hamilton, but I would make this trade every time. Sorry, but this is no knock on him, but a stud pitcher is hard to find, and we have our first stud pitcher since I don't know when.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    I heard that Josh's pee cures cancer and AIDS. We should have it bottled and sold at games. I loved Josh Hamilton, but I would make this trade every time. Sorry, but this is no knock on him, but a stud pitcher is hard to find, and we have our first stud pitcher since I don't know when.
    I consider Aaron Harang a stud pitcher. Before Aaron...let's see...probably Jose Rijo of the early 90's. Before Rijo....Mario Soto and Tom Seaver.

How bout next time you write this in an existing thread about Hamilton, that way everybody knows not to read it because we don't care what your views about Hamilton are. The trade happened, get over it.

got alil captain in u?

Aren't we all sick of going over and over this trade. Were both winners in the deal. We had a surplus of outfielders and we needed pitching. We made the deal. It works well for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    How bout next time you write this in an existing thread about Hamilton, that way everybody knows not to read it because we don't care what your views about Hamilton are. The trade happened, get over it.

I think you may be sent to banned camp for that retort. Yikes. Lighten up, Francis! :thumbdown

The title of this thread should read "Volquez Trade"

Is there anyway Redszone can make a "Josh Hamilton" Posting area next to the "Sun Deck"

That would solve 99% of the problem.

really, are you serious?

Just imagine if Volquez were 3-3 with a 5.00 ERA.

part of BBN

I am taking this quote off another thread since it concerns Hamilton:
    It's laughable that people actually think a starting pitcher is more valuable than someone winning the triple crown right now. It's absurd really.

My response:
    Someone winning triple crown wouldnt mean much with Belisle and Fogg in rotation.
    What is funny is all along, redszone has said trade this or that for pitching. We traded for pitching and the guy we traded is off to great start and some want him back.
    Do we trade Dunn to a team where guys get on base like Hammy's mates do and watch Dunn hit 45 hr and drive in 135 and want him back too ?
    Basically we want the guy we get to do great and the "other" guy to stink to make us feel better about the trade.
    Yes the thought of Bruce/Hamilton in the OF does sound enticing but again...not so much with a rotation of Belisle/Fogg.
    With Volquez here and Hamilton there, maybe if we concentrate on picking up Kinsler/Young from Texas in a swap for Patterson/Janish, our #3-5 guys will have some chances like Hamilton is getting right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuxhall41 View Post
    Just imagine if Volquez were 3-3 with a 5.00 ERA.
    just imagine if Hamilton had 5 HR with 20 RBI, what is your point? How many threads do we need involving this trade.
    because at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up--Marty B.

Turn Off Ads?