Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hamilton trade

Re: Hamilton trade

Quote Originally Posted by OSUredsFAN View Post
    just imagine if Hamilton had 5 HR with 20 RBI, what is your point? How many threads do we need involving this trade.
    Apparently it went over your head. That was my point. Just imagine how many threads there would be if Volquez were 3-3 with a 5.00 ERA. Say a prayer of thanks that Volquez is dealing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fazio View Post
    I was one of the few who didn't like the trade of Hamilton, but consider this. You simply do not trade an every day player, one who will play in 150 + ( I know if is body holds up because of substance abuse) for a pitcher (Volquez who has been great) that will play in 30-35 games all year. Just doesn't make sense to me. Look at what Hamilton is doing, leading mvp contender, driving in runs at record pace and the Reds are no better. Just imagine what an outfield the Reds could have had in the years to come. I will never like this deal!!

That same pitcher that makes those starts versus that batter who plays those games is responsible for more plate appearances. The pitcher faces about 720-750 PA's where the player faces about 620-650 PA's. That alone is why the pitcher is more valuable.

We got an ERA/Strikeout/Wins leader for a Triple Crown leader. That alone is simply amazing. It's got to be the 1st Time in the history of baseball trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That same pitcher that makes those starts versus that batter who plays those games is responsible for more plate appearances. The pitcher faces about 720-750 PA's where the player faces about 620-650 PA's. That alone is why the pitcher is more valuable.

We got an ERA/Strikeout/Wins leader for a Triple Crown leader. That alone is simply amazing. It's got to be the 1st Time in the history of baseball trades.
    Great way to put it in perspective

You can have a great hitting team and play well but to be a championship team you have to have pitching and pitching is harder to find. I still love this deal. Would like Hamilton, but crazy for Volquez.

Stat geek...and proud

You simply do not trade an every day player, one who will play in 150 + ( I know if is body holds up because of substance abuse) for a pitcher (Volquez who has been great) that will play in 30-35 games all year.
    And why exactly is that?

Ya think the Mets are regretting trading Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi? After all, Ryan only pitched in 35 games/year.

Volquez VORP-28.0
    Hamilton VORP-26.5

The difference is negligible. I'll take Volquez in the long run.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 05-24-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    And why exactly is that?

Ya think the Mets are regretting trading Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi? After all, Ryan only pitched in 35 games/year.
    Yeah, but Jim Fregosi Managed the Phillies to the World Series in 1993, so there...

You simply do not trade an every day player, one who will play in 150 + ( I know if is body holds up because of substance abuse) for a pitcher
    this is Jim Bowden type talk

you just simply cannot compare this trade untill 3-5 years down the road. I mean you can but these are all opinion untill we can get some long term stats to compare.
    I too did not like the trade and I am still on the fence.....I just think that it is sooooo HARD to find GOOD starting pitching nowadays that you have to make that trade 9 times out of 10.....I am just still not 100% sold on that theory

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    you just simply cannot compare this trade untill 3-5 years down the road. I mean you can but these are all opinion untill we can get some long term stats to compare.
    I too did not like the trade and I am still on the fence.....I just think that it is sooooo HARD to find GOOD starting pitching nowadays that you have to make that trade 9 times out of 10.....I am just still not 100% sold on that theory
    You can't compare this trade 3-5 years down the road because elitest redszoners won't let you talk about it without throwing their comment out there, "I'm tired of hearing about...."

Turn Off Ads?