Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    The Reds can only score via the long ball. Until they change the makeup of the team, they will continue to play softball.
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    got alil captain in u?
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bridgeport Ohio
    Posts
    4,839

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    The reds are built for GABP plain and simple. This is why they struggle on the road so badly on the offensive end. To many homerun hitters and not enough contact driven guys. It really shows now that keppinger is out of the lineup.

  4. #3
    Member Nasty_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    1st Place... Finally
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!

    The only reason they score via the long ball is because they are so poor at getting on base. If this team had more guys on base, they would score more runs. This team puts together terrible at bats and Dusty's hack (don't base clog) philosiphy is leading to the runs not scoring. Dunn and Phillips, and to a lesser extent , Jr, Edwin, and Votto have found a way to drive runners in from 3rd base when contact means a run. The problem is the lineup is constructed so badly that guys aren't on base for Dunn and BP to drive them in. The scoring inning is usually the 2nd because Dunn and Phillips get the ball rolling. Even when Dunn was hitting 7th, Edwin and Joey get on base pretty well and Dunn was driving them home. How many time on this road trip has Dunn came to the plate in an RBI situation? I can only think of 3 and he either drove in the run or walked... If guys were on base this team would score.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    65

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    The Reds can only score via the long ball. Until they change the makeup of the team, they will continue to play softball.
    It must have been a long time, because for as long as I can remember the Reds have relied on the long ball. At least dating back to the year Junior became a Red.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!

    The only reason they score via the long ball is because they are so poor at getting on base. If this team had more guys on base, they would score more runs. This team puts together terrible at bats and Dusty's hack (don't base clog) philosiphy is leading to the runs not scoring. Dunn and Phillips, and to a lesser extent , Jr, Edwin, and Votto have found a way to drive runners in from 3rd base when contact means a run. The problem is the lineup is constructed so badly that guys aren't on base for Dunn and BP to drive them in. The scoring inning is usually the 2nd because Dunn and Phillips get the ball rolling. Even when Dunn was hitting 7th, Edwin and Joey get on base pretty well and Dunn was driving them home. How many time on this road trip has Dunn came to the plate in an RBI situation? I can only think of 3 and he either drove in the run or walked... If guys were on base this team would score.
    You proved my point! If guys don't get on, then you have to hit the long ball to score.
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,626

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    Quote Originally Posted by aerontg View Post
    It must have been a long time, because for as long as I can remember the Reds have relied on the long ball. At least dating back to the year Junior became a Red.
    And since Junior has been a Red they have been bad. The year before Jr. they had a fast team that played good defense and won 96 games.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    And since Junior has been a Red they have been bad. The year before Jr. they had a fast team that played good defense and won 96 games.
    The Reds pitching then wasnt that good anyway... Who was the Big Winner that year? Pete Harnisch?

  9. #8
    Member Moosie52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    580

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    When did the Reds decide that guys with .300 batting averages aren't necessary? Was it after Larkin left?

  10. #9
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    And since Junior has been a Red they have been bad. The year before Jr. they had a fast team that played good defense and won 96 games.
    The Reds were not a bad team in 2000.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    539

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    And since Junior has been a Red they have been bad. The year before Jr. they had a fast team that played good defense and won 96 games.
    Agreed

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    88

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    Quote Originally Posted by Moosie52 View Post
    When did the Reds decide that guys with .300 batting averages aren't necessary? Was it after Larkin left?
    You're right, the Reds can't hit or pitch, but at least they make up for it with poor defense.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,626

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    The Reds were not a bad team in 2000.
    True, but then they ran Trader Jack out of town and they were terrible.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    191

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    True, but then they ran Trader Jack out of town and they were terrible.
    And remember who was behind Jack's firing? Remember who left the team before the last game was over? "I'm taking my ball and going home" Griffey and Larkin. Larkin was a clubhouse sore and Griffey is a cancer. Good riddance when he is gone.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

  15. #14
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Doc hit the nail on the head last night on WLW...

    i'd just like to say that Doc is an idiot, and i hate even listening to his show, it's bad in a way that not many shows with interesting topics are.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25