Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baker Suspended 2 Games

On the brink of disaster

Baker Suspended 2 Games

Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker has been suspended for two games and fined an undisclosed amount after making contact with umpire Eric Cooper Thursday night.

The incident happened during the seventh inning of Cincinnati's game against the San Diego Padres.

Baker’s suspension is scheduled to begin tonight, when the Reds continue their series against the Padres.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/305230094/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Re: Baker Suspended 2 Games

Too bad this only means that he will fill out the lineup and sit in the clubhouse watching the game on tv, but still be making game decisions

I just saw this at Reds.com.

Another winning streak begins!

Watch RZ fall in love with his 2 game replacement and the way they handle the game!

I didn't realize he came in contact with the umpire. I missed that.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I didn't realize he came in contact with the umpire. I missed that.
    Me too.... wonder where that happened at because I really didn't see him get too close.

Well, at least Baker is trying to change the clubhouse mentality. Regardless of whether one thinks that's important or not, the guy legitimately cares.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

On the brink of disaster

I think it's crazy when you can suspend a manager for allegedly coming into contact with an umpire, but umpires are not suspended or otherwise publicly punished for baiting players. I know you're talking about visual evidence rather than just he said she said, but Edwin has a track record of being quiet and had never been thrown out of a game, while the umpire shows a real propensity to throw people out. Honestly if you are at home and a third baseman who isn't great at speaking english says something, how do you know what he said? It was pretty low class. If he wanted to throw Edwin out, he should have done it with the bat situation.

Now what are we going to do about the other 112?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Is it sad I'm excited to see if we can have some decent lineup construction???
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Dusty will still write out the lineup card.

All dyslexics must untie!

The next time Johnny B calls home, his dad will tell him "you looked like a _____ fool out there!"
    Never overlook the obvious

Edwin Encarnacion is sick. That's why he's not in the lineup. Ed Cooper is umpiring third, so that might have been awkward.

Dusty Baker is livid in his own quiet way about the two-game suspension. He said he was also fined $1,500.

On the alleged bump: "I didn't see and I didn't feel it. (Cooper) told me last night that I sprayed him with dip and that I grazed him. I was trying everything I could not to make contact."

Baker found out about it at lunch: "Bob Watson called Walt (Jocketty) first. Then Walt called me. Then Bob called me. . . I told Bob: 'What kind of judicial system do we have when we can't appeal?' He said coaches and managers don't get an appeal."

It was pointed out that players have appeal because of the union: "Everyone who goes to court gets to appeal. They don't have no union. That's the part of I don't understand."

Baker asked Watson: "Did you see me bump him? He said it looked like you inadvertently grazed him with your left shoulder."

Christian Roberts, the FSN producer, looked at replays from three different angles. He said Baker's jersey makes light contact with Cooper's shirt.

Baker did not watch the replay.

His son, Darren, did. Did dad bump him? "No," Darren said.

Baker said the whole incident would not have happened if Cooper just ignored Encarnacion. "I said, 'Bob, Edwin never says anything. When does say something, it's so quiet you can't understand him. He's hard to understand anyway because he kind of mumbles.'"

Cooper told Baker that he ejected Encarnacion for holding up two fingers, meaning Cooper missed two calls.

"Edwin told me (Cooper) looked at him the whole time. Edwin said, 'why you looking at me?' He put up his fingers. I got to go defend Edwin. I usually don't go out and argue unless I think I'm right. It's getting to the point now that they're trying to make a good man bad."

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Cooper told Baker that he ejected Encarnacion for holding up two fingers, meaning Cooper missed two calls.
    Isn't that also the peace sign? Meaning either that EE 'peaced' twice, or that all was forgiven for the ump missing the calls, ie. 'peace, brother'.

I saw the whole incident in HD. The ump certainly over-reacted to EE out in the field. Dusty was 100% right (1st time I've ever said that) to argue, and he was mad....He might have lightly brushed Cooper, at worst. The suspension is nonsense.

THat being said, I hope the Reds play 'mad' tonight. This team has been terrible the last four nights, and some real emotion is EXACTLY what they need. Lets just direct the anger toward the baseball, not the umps.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    He might have lightly brushed Cooper, at worst. The suspension is nonsense.
    I didn't see the brush, but I did see Dusty's hat hit Cooper's hand and/or mask when Dusty first threw it.

The ump, Cooper, is bad. Both teams were unhappy with his strike-zone. I am glad Edwin and Dusty called him out.

Turn Off Ads?