Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Bloom as come off Bako.

The Bloom as come off Bako.

We all knew it was going to happen (but hoping it wouldn't) but Bako is very quickly returning to his career norm.

On May 10th he had an OPS of .936 since then he has had 2 single and 5 walks in 34 PA lowering his OPS to .774. His total May OPS is down to .599.

I would gladly take a .774 OPS out of a good fielding catcher but IMO if he continues to be the Reds main starting catcher he will end up w/ an OPS in the low .600 like the rest of his career which would mean he OPS in the .500's the rest of the year.

So that begs to question what do the Reds do at catcher? I personally don't want to ever see Valentine step one the field as a Reds let alone starting at catcher. So that leaves Ross not exactly an exiciting option but I would like to see him start 5 days a week for a month to see if he can get hot and add some power and walks to the bottom of the line-up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Bloom as come off Bako.

that was a given.

Bako is returning to reality....

He's still better than Ross or Javy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Ross has a .476 OBP in May...hitting .353.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Bako is returning to reality....

He's still better than Ross or Javy.
    They probably should have gotten rid of Ross and Javy already. I would be fine if they just got a catcher who could play defense and call a good game and not hurt them too terribly on offense. The problem is that they have 3 catchers who do one thing well or maybe just okay, but are terrible elsewhere. Of course, if the Reds could get production at CF and SS and elsewhere, maybe having an offensive hole at at catcher wouldn't be so bad.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

His defense makes him better than Ross or Javy. That doesn't mean the Reds don't have a problem. Until they can make a trade, though, I'd like to see them move a catcher out and give Hanigan a look. He's exhibited OBP skills and is a decent catcher. Then they could move Tatum to AAA. Out of the two they have a decent backup, but Jocketty will need to improve the position by trade if it's going to get improved. None of these 5 are more than backup catchers.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Ross has a .476 OBP in May...hitting .353.
    But will he keep that up? If Ross could get on base consistently and play solid defense, the Reds would not have 3 catchers.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I guess because of his handling of pitchers, Bako has been in the lineup against two southpaws the last two games. That did not help him at all. Odds are that Ross would have hit better in those two games.

Now the Reds will face a couple of righties -- not the typical platoon system is it?

Perhaps management was testing Bako to ascertain whether he can hit lefties well enough to make Ross expendable as part of some kind of trade package.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    But will he keep that up? If Ross could get on base consistently and play solid defense, the Reds would not have 3 catchers.
    Of course he won't. But while he was in a groove he should have been starting against lefties in San Diego, especially since Bako has been in a freefall for the last two weeks that everyone sees, and saw coming, except Reds management.

There's a reason Patterson, Lincoln, Bako, Hairston et al were brought into camp having not been pursued...essentially unwanted by other ML teams.....and it wasn't because they were everyday major league players, diamonds in the rough.

Bako did exactly what we could have hoped he would, caught a hot hand while Ross was on the DL to start the season. He should be at the end of the bench as a late inning guy by now, or platooning after Javy's departure. But if the Reds can't figure out to play a catcher with an .895 ops over the last three years vs. lefties over a catcher with a .463 ops in Bako.....then we will never have hope.
    Last edited by VR; 05-24-2008 at 11:29 AM.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I like him catching for Cueto and Volquez because he seems to call a good game, however, I'd start Ross on days when Arroyo and Harang start. We all knew Bako was going to fall back to earth so it shouldn't really come as a surprise.

Roster glue

Even with poor players, Baker should be utilizing the resources at his disposal to put each in the best possible position to succeed. The "doesn't know the players" excuse trumpeted here and there by the Cincy media fails for many of Baker's wacky decisions because Bako, Hairston, and Patterson have played for him in the past, and each has very specific limitations (bad hitter, can't play SS, and no on-base ability, respectively) which Baker continues to demonstrate he does not know.

Bako is a poor hitter and always will be. His main skill is being bilingual and having Cueto and Volquez comfortable with him...so he can catch those guys. Ross at least has some power and has the ability to do something against a lefty, and should play against them. If he can't catch either young Dominican, that doesn't look good on his resume.

Bako needs to stay and catch Volquez, at least. Probably Cueto, too. Whatever helps those kids this year must be a top priority.

Turn Off Ads?