Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Homer Bailey The Next Great Reds Bust?

Is Homer Bailey The Next Great Reds Bust?

Makes you wonder with Bailey getting rocked lately in the minors. His surly attitude has been documented by Hal McCoy, John Fay and Marty B.

So is it too early to consider him a bust? If not, how much time do you give him. And would you consider him a head case along the likes of a Brett Tomko?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Homer Bailey The Next Great Reds Bust?

I would at least let him have another shot in the majors before calling him a bust

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    I would at least let him have another shot in the majors before calling him a bust
    If he can't get minor leaguers out, how do you expect him to be back in the big leagues?

IMO, the kid needs an attitude adjustment how he presents himself. I think that number 1 draft status went to his head.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

A bust? No. Disappointment based on expectations? Perhaps, but you still have to look at his age. If Homer is at this same spot a few years from now, he is a bust. Look how long it took Volquez to figure it out.

We are about 2 years at a minimum, or at least a shoulder injury from throwing around the word bust and being serious about it. He is 22 years and 3 weeks old. He would be the youngest pitcher in the NL this year if he were here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    If he can't get minor leaguers out, how do you expect him to be back in the big leagues?
    I dunno, with the flashes we saw from him in the bigs last year I'm not ready to give up on him yet. At this point I'm hoping that his minor league problems are mental (and I know that doesn't speak well for Homer), but I think I could see him getting back on track with a call back up to the majors (where it appears he thinks he belongs)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'd love to make him somebody else's bust...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

At this time last year people were calling Edinson Volquez a bust. One year later he leads the majors in ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    We are about 2 years at a minimum, or at least a shoulder injury from throwing around the word bust and being serious about it. He is 22 years and 3 weeks old. He would be the youngest pitcher in the NL this year if he were here right now.
    Well said. He's certainly had a few setbacks, primarily due to initially overly rapid advancement, a failure to adequately address some mechanical/repetoire based faults, and perhaps some mental resistance to being 'coached up.' However, Bailey still has a very solid chance to completely right the ship, and put himself back on course to make a solid MLB impact within the next 2+ years. I will agree that he has some factors working against him ranging from the excessive potential for breakdowns in his long delivery, to his apparent slowness to adjust his approach (and stubborness).

I would only start to be concerned if we continue to see regression in his control, refinement of his secondary pitches, and overall effectiveness throughout this season. Like Rick, I wouldn't be opposed to including him in a trade package for the right return as soon as he hits his 2008 ML apex.

Perhaps he has a career as a closer?
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    At this time last year people were calling Edinson Volquez a bust. One year later he leads the majors in ERA.
    And this time next year Volquez could have an ERA of 4.75 and Bailey could have one under 4.00......

IMHO, nobody has busted "out" or "in" yet....
    "This isnt stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Just a few starts ago Chad Moeller and David Ross were raving about Homer.

I happen to think he'd do OK if he were promoted right now, and I'm inclined to think it would be a lot easier for both him and Bruce if they came up together.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

C'mon, he's 22!! I can't see how he's a bust at this young age, but he definitely needs to take some advice and start working for change.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Every indication that you get from the minors indicates that Homer Bailey's worst enemy is Homer Bailey. He's not a bust yet, but it might be time for them to find a pitching coach that he "clicks" with to help him out.

I hear Leo Mazzone is looking for work -- why not drop a lot of cash at his feet, sign him on as a "consultant" and send him to AAA to work with Homer? If you can't sell him on the merits of listening to the guy who built the careers of guys like Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz, then he really is a lost cause.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Every indication that you get from the minors indicates that Homer Bailey's worst enemy is Homer Bailey. He's not a bust yet, but it might be time for them to find a pitching coach that he "clicks" with to help him out.

I hear Leo Mazzone is looking for work -- why not drop a lot of cash at his feet, sign him on as a "consultant" and send him to AAA to work with Homer? If you can't sell him on the merits of listening to the guy who built the careers of guys like Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz, then he really is a lost cause.
    Amen
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?