Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ryan Hanigan....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Ryan Hanigan....

Could someone give me some details of Hanigan's defense & pitch calling skills?

I see us carrying 3 catchers. All of whom are substandard (even with Bako playing above his norm...for now). Why is Hanigan not up with the big club? He's hitting at .324 and he also hits from the right side. Two things this club needs rather desperately right now. Average and righties.

Is his defense that porous? Does he call that poor of a game? Is his arm a limp noodle? I just don't get it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Ryan Hanigan....

DFA Javy and call him up.

Maybe it has something to do with his .648 OPS at Louisville last year in 127 at bats or his .609 OPS the prior year at Chatanooga in 126 at bats or the fact that his current success is the product of a sample of 71 at bats in 2008.

I don't know much about his defense, but he's not very good at hitting for power, and it's not like he hasn't had time to show some power. Still, I'm with you . . . I'd rather see him with the team as opposed to Bako or Valentin.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I don't know much about his defense, but he's not very good at hitting for power, and it's not like he hasn't had time to show some power. Still, I'm with you . . . I'd rather see him with the team as opposed to Bako or Valentin.
    I'd rather see him up there too.

But since when do you need a SS or C to hit for power ?? That's what the OF's, 1B, and maybe your 3B's are for. Philips is icing on the cake.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Exactly. I couldn't care less if he hits with power or not. If he gets on base and hits for a decent average...I'm fine with his bat. My only concern is his glove/arm/mind.

Hanigan is a decent OBP guy (just adequate mind you but likely better than Bako) with almost no power. As a backup I think he fits the bill okay but Craig Tatum is close behind and, imo, much better suited long term as the backup. He has some pop and is a plus defender. Tatum's stock has fallen since reaching Chattanooga but hopefully he'll get back on track.

Alvin Colina was a hot shot prospect for Colorado once, too and see how that worked out. None of these guys are really an answer to anything except a once a week backup role. Mesaraco may be the real deal but he's along way off.

If the Reds want to improve the catching spot they can only do it by trade. Hanigan, Colina or Tatum might be cheaper for the same production as Bako and Ross but they still won't be anyone's definition of good. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 05-25-2008 at 02:23 AM.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm not sure I understand why he's even on the 40-man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why he's even on the 40-man roster.
    It's to keep him protected from the rule five draft. If the Reds want to take him off the 40-man, I'm sure there are close to 29 teams who would like to grab him off the waiver wire. Offensively, he's basically Jason Kendall, and Kendall managed to get paid over $30mm over the past three years. Defensively, well, he's no Jason Kendall.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It's to keep him protected from the rule five draft. If the Reds want to take him off the 40-man, I'm sure there are close to 29 teams who would like to grab him off the waiver wire. Offensively, he's basically Jason Kendall, and Kendall managed to get paid over $30mm over the past three years. Defensively, well, he's no Jason Kendall.

Wasn't he left off the 40-man roster last year (and the year before that and the year before that)? Where were the 29 teams lined up that wanted him in those years?

There is no reason to have 4 catchers on the 40-man roster, especially if the 4th one is Ryan Hanigan.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Wasn't he left off the 40-man roster last year (and the year before that and the year before that)? Where were the 29 teams lined up that wanted him in those years?
    Hanigan has always been considered kind of an afterthought due to his lack of tools, and until 2007, no one would've considered him a top-30 prospect in the organization. Also, he regressed a huge amount in 2006, and it was most likely due to injuries (that limited him to only 64 games). If he had shown plus receiver skills, power, and/or speed by then, he would've had a good chance of being on someone's 40-man roster. There are plenty of players who were considered borderline prospects for their first few years as professionals before being desired by other organizations, and Hanigan is another example. He's no perennial All-Star, but I'd be thrilled to have him as a backup.

Turn Off Ads?