Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Indy 500

Indy 500

Every year I've lived in Indianapolis I've been more and more interested in the Indianapolis 500.

It's gone from not caring at all in 2000 to checking in at the Machine Room Grill in 2003 to see who had just won.(The Reds were in the midst of losing a very dissapointing game to some no name with a funky windup named Dontrelle Willis that day), to checking the qualification times the last few years to watching the last few hours of bump day this year.

This year for various reasons has easily been the best year Indy has had since the early 90's.

My pick is Ryan Briscoe. I actually know nothing about racing, but he's my gut pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indy 500

Marco Marco Marco!!!!!!!!
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I am cheering for Sarah Fisher.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Scott Dixon's going to walk away with it.

For a Level Playing Field

You mean there more drivers in this race than just Danica Patrick? I didn't realize. I read the sports section everyday and all they write about is Danica. "Can Danica Win", "Will this be Danica's year", "Danica Trying to Win for All Women". I am getting tired of the Danica over-hype. I have nothing against her, but the media is ridiculous.

I used to love the race when I was a kid. Foyt, Andretti, the Unsers, Mears, Sneva, Rutherford, Johncock... seemed as though most drivers were household names in America in those days. I probably know the names of 5 to 7 racers now (other than Danica of course).

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I havent gotten to the point where I just dont care about the Indy 500 unless others I know are watching....NASCAR has become so dominant that Indy almost seems irrelevant. Me, my wife and a few friends used to get together, fire up the grill, and watch Indy and the Coke 600...but that just became too long of a day; and so the Coke 600 won out--we'll be doing other things while casually following Indy on the radio while getting ready to watch the stock car race.

I do think that if Indy is ever going to take a chance at taking some of NASCAR's dominance this is the year with Champ and Indy merging...

I went to the race yesterday... My first time. Also my first sunburn of the year (what is the point of spf4?) and the most Boddington's I've had this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    You mean there more drivers in this race than just Danica Patrick? I didn't realize. I read the sports section everyday and all they write about is Danica. "Can Danica Win", "Will this be Danica's year", "Danica Trying to Win for All Women". I am getting tired of the Danica over-hype. I have nothing against her, but the media is ridiculous.
    Exactly. In Sports Illustrated they had an article about how she's going for the win "no matter what." Isn't that the whole concept of these big races?

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    I went to the race yesterday... My first time. Also my first sunburn of the year (what is the point of spf4?) and the most Boddington's I've had this year.
    I went to my first 500 yesterday as well. I am not a racing fan and have only been to the Coca-Cola 600 like 7 years ago. I had a better time before the races in Charlotte than I did in Indy. I was bored out of my mind after the 1st 30-40 laps of each race. The speed and power and sound of the races is awesome, but to me gets old really fast.

I also did not like that we could only see about 1/4 of the whole track at Indy. I know it's a 2 1/2 mile track so seeing everything is impossible no matter where you sit in the grandstands, it was still annoying.

We sat in the short shoot on the north side of the track and with the cars going 220 MPH, the whole field is past you in like 10 seconds. It just got really boring, really fast to me.

RED, spf4 is pretty much pointless to put on. My mother was red headed and I got her pale skin and I put 50 on and was OK. The only thing that got burnt was my damn scalp. My hair was short enough for the sun to burn right through.

Turn Off Ads?