Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Travis Wood and Jordan Smith promoted to Chattanooga, Daryl Thompson to Louisville

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Travis Wood and Jordan Smith promoted to Chattanooga, Daryl Thompson to Louisvill

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I'm excited about Thompson too but Maloney is criminally underrated around here.
    He lost a bit of luster when he got knocked around pretty badly in spring training -- makes most people take his numbers with a grain of salt. He may yet become a useful big leaguer, but spring told us that he still isn't ready yet.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Travis Wood and Jordan Smith promoted to Chattanooga, Daryl Thompson to Louisvill

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Very nice developments.

Nice to see former Gator Justin Tordi moving up the ranks. He may have one of the best gloves in the system.
    Did I read it wrong, or didn't he just get demoted?

I don't mean to bash on him, but I think his biggest asset is that he plays pretty much every position on the diamond. I wouldn't say he really 'moves up the ranks' so much as he is organization filler who is just happy to be playing professional baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Thompson's 2008 in AA: 8.2 K/9, 2.1 BB/9, 2.60 FIP
    Maloney's 2008 in AAA: 8.1 K/9, 2.6 BB/9, 2.62 FIP

I'm excited about Thompson too but Maloney is criminally underrated around here.
    Wow, that's an interesting set of stats. Didn't realize those numbers were so similar. Plus with Maloney being a lefty, I'd have to think he's going to get the call next.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Did I read it wrong, or didn't he just get demoted?

I don't mean to bash on him, but I think his biggest asset is that he plays pretty much every position on the diamond. I wouldn't say he really 'moves up the ranks' so much as he is organization filler who is just happy to be playing professional baseball.
    Maybe I read it wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'd honestly be very surprised if he ever made the show. He was a whiz with the glove here at UF but he was ridiculously overmatched at the plate. His last year here he hit something like .264 with one home run, and that was with aluminum bats. Defense is definitely his forte.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Maybe I read it wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Yeah, he went from AA to A+. He doesn't even belong in Sarasota because his bat isn't even good enough for rookie ball, but his versatility gives the organization options for trying players at new positions and such.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Dragons announcer says Valiquette will be promoted to "another club" after this game.
    Sarasota had Josh Beal and Steve Otterness jumping from extended spring to pitching last night (they are handy right there in Florida). I can see one of them sent to Dayton with Valiquette getting the real promotion. It wouldn't surprise me to see both Beal and Otterness in Dayton and some one else accompany Valiquette to Sarasota.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Chattanooga will be competing with a new look in upcoming weeks as the result of eight transactions made Monday by the parent Cincinnati Reds.

The most notable departure was starting pitcher Daryl Thompson, who moved on to Triple-A Louisville after going 3-2 with a 1.76 earned run average in 10 Double-A starts. His ERA ranked second only to Carolina’s Ryan Tucker (0.93) among league pitchers.

“Thompson has been lights-out the entire time he’s been here,” Goff said. “For him to get a promotion wasn’t a surprise.”

Also leaving the Lookouts were starter Ramon Ramirez, who went six innings with Louisville on Monday and picked up the win, infielder Justin Tordi and relief pitcher Justin James. Tordi was sent back to high Single-A Sarasota, while James was placed on the disabled list for the second time this season.

Joining the Chattanooga team were starting pitchers Jordan Smith and Travis Wood, each of whom arrived from Sarasota. Also arriving were infielder Drew Anderson, who had a brief stint in Louisville, and reliever Lee Tabor, who is back from Sarasota for a second stint.

Smith started Monday for the Lookouts after posting a 7-2 record and 2.55 ERA through 10 starts in the Florida State League. His seven victories led the league.

“He was off to a heck of a start in Sarasota and has earned the promotion,” Goff said. “He’s a bulldog and comes right after guys with a good arm and pitches with a little attitude, which we love to see.”

Wood, a second-round pick of the Reds in 2005, went 3-4 with a 2.70 ERA in Sarasota and has the organization’s best changeup according to Baseball America.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...ts-4-2/?sports

Today's Enquirer had this:

Reliever Steven Otterness made his Dragons debut with a shutout inning Thursday. A 27th-round pick in 2007, the 23 year old left hander had pitched 7 2/3 shutout innings for Sarasota.
    If he pitched shutout ball for Sarasota why was he demoted to Dayton?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Today's Enquirer had this:

If he pitched shutout ball for Sarasota why was he demoted to Dayton?
    I think he was in extended spring training in sarasota and just played in a couple games there .

Anybody have a scouting report or some more information on Jordan Smith? Everything i have read about him has been very positive. Only like his 3rd year as a pitcher and already showing great progress.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Anybody have a scouting report or some more information on Jordan Smith? Everything i have read about him has been very positive. Only like his 3rd year as a pitcher and already showing great progress.
    Here is a scouting report based on the Baseball America draft tracker in 2006. Might be old information though:

Scouts saw enough of Smith to run him into the first 10 rounds. Smith went to Salt Lake Community College as a catcher/first baseman but realized arm strength was his best tool and transferred to Southern Nevada so he could pitch. While he was used in a limited role, his fastball sat in the 92-94 mph range and touched 96. More significantly to scouts, he wasn't under control to any club. His 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame is another plus. His inexperience and developing secondary stuff are drawbacks, though his slider and split-finger fastball both improved as the season progressed, as Smith learned to throw both with some power.

Man I'm really loving this young pitching depth we have. I hope we can sustain this success in finding talent for our minor leauges and that we don't blow it on trades unless it will make a significant impact on the big club.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Man I'm really loving this young pitching depth we have. I hope we can sustain this success in finding talent for our minor leauges and that we don't blow it on trades unless it will make a significant impact on the big club.
    The Reds have a pitching full of legitimate prospects. Some will bust, of course, and some have higher ceilings than others, but all can be considered true prospects right now:

Matt Maloney LHSP
    Homer Bailey RHSP
    DarylThompson RHSP
    Ben Jukich LHSP
    Jordan Smith RHSP

Josh Roenicke RHRP
    Tyler Pelland LHRP
    Danny Herrerra LHRP
    Sean Watson RHRP
    Ramon Ramirez RHRP
    Ramon Geronimo RHRP
    Pedro Viola LHRP

That still leaves younger guys like Ravin and Lotzkar, this year's draft picks, and others like Justin Mallet and Scott Carroll that I didn't list but are also prospects who can move the "busts" off the list as time goes on. Added to Volquez, Cueto, Burton, and Bray the list of young pitching talent in the system is really deep.

Fisher?

I actually still think Lecure will be a factor down the road too...

Turn Off Ads?