Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travis Wood and Jordan Smith promoted to Chattanooga, Daryl Thompson to Louisville

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Travis Wood and Jordan Smith promoted to Chattanooga, Daryl Thompson to Louisville

I posted this in another thread but it deserves a thread of its own. LHP Travis Wood (46.2 IP, 39 H, 2 HR, 21 BB/41 K, 2.70 ERA) and RHP Jordan Smith (67 IP, 61 H, 2 HR, 7 BB/44 K, 2.55 ERA) have been promoted to AA Chattanooga. Congrats to those two guys.

You have to think this probably means Daryl Thompson is heading to AAA Louisville.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-25-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Travis Wood and Jordan Smith promoted to Chattanooga

I always just assumed that Wood was destined for a catastrophic arm injury based on the nicks and soreness through his early seasons -- another feather in Krivsky's minor league development strategy that he's been relatively healthy and now successfully moving one step closer to the bigs.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'm very surprised that Wood has moved up. His numbers warrant the move but I figured they would move him at a snail's pace.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I'm very surprised that Wood has moved up. His numbers warrant the move but I figured they would move him at a snail's pace.
    He has a little more than a half a season's worth of innings in Sarasota now between the last two seasons.

93ip, 95K, 48bb, 88h, 3.77 ERA.

Most impressive thing this year for Wood though? His groundball rate has gone up dramatically this year. The previous two years he hovered around the 40% GB rate, this year he has hovered around the 50% GB rate. Strikeout guys that get groundballs are very good.

Anyone know how Wood's velocity has been this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Anyone know how Wood's velocity has been this year?
    Well, SaberScouting.com went and saw him one time this year. They had him at 86-88 MPH, but the game also started at 10:30 in the morning. I have had other reports of him working 89-92 and hitting 93 every so often in other games. We will find out soon enough, as we can actually listen to the Chattanooga games and can read articles about their games.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, SaberScouting.com went and saw him one time this year. They had him at 86-88 MPH, but the game also started at 10:30 in the morning. I have had other reports of him working 89-92 and hitting 93 every so often in other games. We will find out soon enough, as we can actually listen to the Chattanooga games and can read articles about their games.
    If you can find a lefty who can consistently get it up to 91-92, and occasionally hit 93, that's huge.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Thats fantastic. AA is an injury away from the bigs, which means these guys are doing what they should to help the Reds next year or the year after.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Re: Travis Wood and Jordan Smith promoted to Chattanooga, Daryl Thompson to Louisvill

Daryl Thompson has been promoted to Louisville.

Re: Travis Wood and Jordan Smith promoted to Chattanooga, Daryl Thompson to Louisvill

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Daryl Thompson has been promoted to Louisville.

All Righttttt !!!

According to my friend with the lookouts there will be a number of moves throughout the system on Monday and/or Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    According to my friend with the lookouts there will be a number of moves throughout the system on Monday and/or Tuesday.
    Seems like the players already know whats up. I have heard of 5 pitches on the move over the last two days. Generally pitchers aren't actually put on rosters though until their day to pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Maybe Jocketty has finished with his learning process. Should be an exciting off day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Seems we are starting to see the what so many Baseball experts have been saying about the Reds Farm System, One of the top two or three. (I really hope Thompson becomes the definative justification for the so far ho-hum "Big Trade"). I remember WK saying, "he isn't just a throw-in, he has real potential", and thinking like many at the time, yeah right ........
    Last edited by gedred69; 05-25-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: puncuation

Wow. Some rush jobs. Neither guy really had the raw numbers I would have liked at this point though some good promise.

I guess the Thompson/Bailey thing comes full head.

Turn Off Ads?