Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: If both CF and RF were open, where you want Jay Bruce to play?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • CF

24 47.06%
  • RF

27 52.94%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bruce: CF or RF

Bruce: CF or RF

The common comment recently is that Bruce should be brought up and replace a traded KG Jr in right field. However, with Junior's ongoing struggles at the plate, I think it's increasingly likely that he finishes the season in Cincinnati.

Two questions:

1.) If both CF and RF were open (read: Junior traded), where you want Bruce to play?

2.) Assuming Junior isn't traded, do you think that it delays Bruce's arrival in Cincinnati?

I guess my position is that Bruce is currently an average to above average defensive CF -- per all scouting reports I've seen and comments of those on the board who have seen him in person. While Bruce may spend most of his career in RF once he fills out a bit more, the Reds would be dumb not to get as much quality CF time out of him now.

Yes, an OF of Dunn-Bruce-Junior is sub-par defensively -- but that's a function of Dunn & Junior. If those two are here, Bruce should be here and should be our everyday CF. A part of me seriously hopes Junior stays so that the Reds are basically forced to play Bruce in CF, see that he's good, and force our hand in to getting the most value out of him.

Thoughts?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bruce: CF or RF

If Jr is on the team it is moot

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The common comment recently is that Bruce should be brought up and replace a traded KG Jr in right field. However, with Junior's ongoing struggles at the plate, I think it's increasingly likely that he finishes the season in Cincinnati.

Two questions:

1.) If both CF and RF were open (read: Junior traded), where you want Bruce to play?

2.) Assuming Junior isn't traded, do you think that it delays Bruce's arrival in Cincinnati?

I guess my position is that Bruce is currently an average to above average defensive CF -- per all scouting reports I've seen and comments of those on the board who have seen him in person. While Bruce may spend most of his career in RF once he fills out a bit more, the Reds would be dumb not to get as much quality CF time out of him now.

Yes, an OF of Dunn-Bruce-Junior is sub-par defensively -- but that's a function of Dunn & Junior. If those two are here, Bruce should be here and should be our everyday CF. A part of me seriously hopes Junior stays so that the Reds are basically forced to play Bruce in CF, see that he's good, and force our hand in to getting the most value out of him.

Thoughts?
    Agreed. Bruce's future is in RF but he can play CF this year. Hal McCoy talked to some scouts who said Bruce can play CF better than anyone the Reds have right now, including Patterson. Get him up here tomorrow.

So you think they will keep Bruce in the minors all season if they don't trade Junior, flyer?

I simply cannot see them justifying it while claiming they are trying to win. I can see Bruce's arrival delayed until the ASB or so. But no way does he stay in AAA and only get a cup of coffee at best when he's absolutely destroying the league and we've got next to no production out of our CFs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Senor Votto

If he were called up tomorrow I would stick him in Centerfield. They most likely won't be able to trade Junior this year. Use him as a Centerfielder this year and next year when Griff is gone put him in Rightfield.

With all things being equal, I would rather have him in RF then CF. However I have no problem with calling him up tomorrow and sticking him in CF until Griffey is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

So you think they will keep Bruce in the minors all season if they don't trade Junior, flyer?
    my point was that as long as Jr is on the team his only position is CF

certainly brining him up and putting Bruce and Dunn back to back in the lineup would a huge improvement. I am also one who thinks Patterson's defense is overrated and his offense, well ...

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    my point was that as long as Jr is on the team his only position is CF
    Agreed. So what do you think about the hypothetical of Junior being gone. Would you rather see him in RF or CF?

(mods, if it's possible to make this a poll, that'd be great...)

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    certainly brining him up and putting Bruce and Dunn back to back in the lineup would a huge improvement. I am also one who thinks Patterson's defense is overrated and his offense, well ...
    I think Dusty made it pretty clear in spring training that when Bruce comes off he is hitting leadoff. I guess it's possible that Hairston could have made him change his mind on that.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Agreed. So what do you think about the hypothetical of Junior being gone. Would you rather see him in RF or CF?

Right Field.

RF ... unless they get a RF in return for Jr

I'm in the minority here, but I'd love to see Bruce play CF as long as he's at least average defensively. A RF is easier to find than a true plus CF. Sign a serviceable right fielder with a plus glove, a la Hammonds, Guillien, and the hosts of other on-the-cheap RFs that paraded around Cincinnati OFs in the late 90's and early aughts. If, in a couple years, Stubbs pans out or Valaika learns to be a solid CF, put Bruce in right. If, OTOH, Frazier is the real deal or Dorn catches fire, Bruce could continue to be a plus CF simply because of his special bat.

Get him here to replace Patterson (the worst regular OF at any position in the game of baseball) immediately. I can understand the rationale behind signing Patterson if Bruce wasn't deemed ready, to play between the completely stationary Griffey and Dunn, and if it was written in stone that he batted 8th and purely platooned. However, our manager is the worst offensive tactician in the game, and refuses to use him properly.

All things being equal, I play Bruce ideally in RF. However, all things aren't equal, and I have no problem playing him in CF now, until Griffey is moved. Then we can target a legit CF this offseason, after seeing how Bruce's tryout in CF goes (best of both worlds). Patterson has already cost this team more than his glove could ever atone for.
    Last edited by Stormy; 05-25-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Now? Doesn't matter. It's time for him to face major league pitchers.

Next year? Right.

Turn Off Ads?