Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: If both CF and RF were open, where you want Jay Bruce to play?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • CF

24 47.06%
  • RF

27 52.94%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bruce: CF or RF

Re: Bruce: CF or RF

I voted CF simply because he can play CF just fine for the time being. RF is his optimum position in the future but right now I think he can play either very well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Not if Baker is going to bat them 6th and 7th!
    Try 7th and 8th, the top of the lineup is reserved for out makers
    Go Gators!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Right now, Bruce and Cody Strait/Drew Stubbs/Chis Dickerson would be better than Patterson and Junior (offensively and, of course, defensively).

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Doesn't matter....get him here.

CF. He has mostly played CF in the minors, and I think he would do a good job there.

if Bruce comes up to play CF Dusty's head might explode

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    if Bruce comes up to play CF Dusty's head might explode
    All the more reason to do it then. The Reds should hold a "watch Dusty's head explode" night. It would boost attendance.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

They could give out Dusty pinatas

High five!

I'm sure I said it before but I'm leary of him playing CF between Dunn. and Jr. Those two (especially Jr.) have limited and range and Bruce may feel it necessary to "Freel" himself in order to get to balls.

I'd actually feel better with an OF of Dunn, Freel/Patterson, Bruce.

Anywhere in Cincinnati is fine with me.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I'm sure I said it before but I'm leary of him playing CF between Dunn. and Jr. Those two (especially Jr.) have limited and range and Bruce may feel it necessary to "Freel" himself in order to get to balls.

I'd actually feel better with an OF of Dunn, Freel/Patterson, Bruce.
    I feel the same way. FWIW, I think he is capable of playing a fine CF. He's needed more in RF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Jay Bruce should be the starting CF until the Reds move Griffey.

Once that happens, Bruce should move to RF and the Reds should find themselves a plus-defending CF to compensate for Dunn's lack of range in LF.

With plus defense in CF and RF, it'll make Dunn's fault's much less noticeable in left.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Jay Bruce should be the starting CF until the Reds move Griffey.

Once that happens, Bruce should move to RF and the Reds should find themselves a plus-defending CF to compensate for Dunn's lack of range in LF.

With plus defense in CF and RF, it'll make Dunn's fault's much less noticeable in left.
    Yep. Just move Griffey now. To the bench if no one wants him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Senor Votto

Just let the man play every single position tomorrow and declare it Jay Bruce Night.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

With no other data besides 'both positions are open', I'd take Right Field because he is an above average defender in right and an average defender in center. Playing Jay Bruce in Right Field maximizes his value. Of course, in the real world other players play the other 2 positions in his absence, so that must be considered. If Jay plays right field, you lose your current right fielder, Griffey, from the lineup. If he plays center field, you lose your current center fielder, Patterson, from the lineup. Offensively, the best outfield we can field would be Dunn, Bruce, Griffey, but defensively, it is Dunn, Patterson, Bruce. I have no idea what Dusty would do...he might play Griffey, Patterson, Bruce as he seems to prefer removing Dunn in the later innings when given a choice. Also, it remains to be seen if Jocketty will give him a choice...if he dumps Patterson when calling up Bruce, he doesn't leave Dusty with much of a choice. I guess we'll have to wait and see....

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?