View Poll Results: Will Jay Bruce be called up before Tuesday's game

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 37.31%
  • No

42 62.69%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Jay Bruce be called up before Tuesday's game?

Re: Will Jay Bruce be called up before Tuesday's game?

I voted no, not because I don't want him up here, but because I have so little faith in our organization to do what makes sense. Replacing Patterson with Bruce would be an embarrassment to Dusty. And as we've heard, we don't make decisions around here because they make sense, we do them out of respect.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I voted no, not because I don't want him up here, but because I have so little faith in our organization to do what makes sense. Replacing Patterson with Bruce would be an embarrassment to Dusty. And as we've heard, we don't make decisions around here because they make sense, we do them out of respect.
    That very well could be a factor with Dusty, Patterson and Griffey. Baker with his respect for Griffey, and Griffey being in somewhat of a contract year that will decide if Griffey receives $4 million and good-bye or a $16 million dollar season. Bruce the fair haired new kid on the block could embarrass each Baker, Patterson and Griffey, while costing Griffey big dollars, Patterson could go back to the unemployed free agent line, perhaps Baker respects that too. It is conceivable that Bruce could walk into a very unpleasant situation, while Griffey or Patterson are still on board.

If Bruce played well and showed performance that produced, Baker would have to answer a lot of questions and to defend the reason, if Bruce wasn't playing regularly, plus he will have to defend why Bruce wasn’t here sooner, why he wasn’t here to begin with in the face of old rumors and labels that Baker is veteran biased against younger players.

I vote no, because I think we see him Thursday. They need to run Bailey out there on Wednesday, because of yesterday's shenanigans. Bailey goes back to AAA after Wednesday's game, Bruce to Cincy on Thursday.

Edit: Nevermind I see the Rotation is set with Arroyo going Wednesday, Harang Thursday, Volquez Friday. Yesterday's game the gift that keeps on giving.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 05-26-2008 at 02:30 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I vote no, because I think we see him Thursday. They need to run Bailey out there on Wednesday, because of yesterday's shenanigans. Bailey goes back to AAA after Wednesday's game, Bruce to Cincy on Thursday.
    The rotation has already been reset. No one is coming up.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Take the decision out of Dusty's hands. Jocketty needs to grow a pair, cut Patterson and bring up Bruce no questions asked.
    1. Bruce needs to be here

2. Jr needs to go DH somewhere

3. Patterson - isn't he on a minor league deal? can the Reds send him to AAA for a few weeks to work on his hitting? he has a great glove but if he hits .200 he is only useful as a defensive replacement and pinch runner

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Well said, I agree 100%

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    1. Bruce needs to be here

2. Jr needs to go DH somewhere

3. Patterson - isn't he on a minor league deal? can the Reds send him to AAA for a few weeks to work on his hitting? he has a great glove but if he hits .200 he is only useful as a defensive replacement and pinch runner
    Yeah, you are right. "Cutting" Patterson should be revised to "send Patterson down" or "get Patterson the heck off the team so The Boss can play."

Because you know as soon as we cut Patterson, Freel and Bruce would collide and get hurt or something. Kind of like we finally cut Juan Castro, then Keppinger goes down and we have to bring up Janish. Actually that worked out pretty well. I am not a fan of batting Janish anywhere but seventh or eighth in the order, but I like him overall better than Castro no question. He's younger and seems to have some upside given his baseball IQ and his natural abilities. Janish was a 5th round pick by the Reds out of Rice U., which isn't extremely high, but is nothing to scoff at.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    The economics are beyond vital, especially in future seasons. A quick way not to be able to afford to keep your current talent and/or not be able to afford to bring in new talent is to be wreckless with your future budget. Bruce's Super Two season would be 2011, and this is already what's on the books:

Aaron Harang: $12.75 million option ($2 million buyout)
    Francisco Cordero: $12 million
    Bronson Arroyo: $11 million option ($2 million buyout)
    Brandon Phillips: $11 million

That's $46.75 million tied up in four players if all the options are picked up. And that's not including Dunn (if extended), Encarnacion, Volquez, and Votto. If Cueto is never demoted to AAA, he'll be making arbitration money that season too. That could easily be $70 million for nine players, perhaps even $80 million, if all those players remain in a Reds uniform and perform the way we hope. Add a Super Two Bruce in there and that's another $6+ million. That's more than what the entire team's payroll is this season.

Yes, it would have been nice to have Bruce up here two weeks ago. If the Reds would have brought him north after spring training and had him in the lineup since Opening Day ala Cueto, then that's one thing. But once the Reds made the decision to keep Bruce down in Louisville through April, then they effectively made the decision to keep him in Louisville until the Super Two date passed. Two weeks of Jay Bruce in May of 2008 isn't worth the $6+ million hammer in 2011.

Of course the Super Two point is moot now because the Super Two date came and went this weekend. Bruce needs to be promoted and in the lineup tomorrow night against Pittsburgh.
    This is an excellent post. I also didn't know that Braun's contract had a Super Two clause in it. Really good stuff from the Milwaukee organization.

Now tomorrow night we will see if the Reds are smart and were waiting for the Super Two date to pass, or are clueless and actually want Jay Bruce to stay in AAA.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I voted no.

I will continue to vote no until Corey Patterson is DFA'd, because there's no way Bruce is an everyday player as long as Corey is on the time.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I believe someone had said Bruce's # has already been decided for the Reds. Can you tell me what that # is? And is that # going to stick? I want to order a jersey, but am concerned about the # being switched.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I believe someone had said Bruce's # has already been decided for the Reds. Can you tell me what that # is? And is that # going to stick? I want to order a jersey, but am concerned about the # being switched.
    #32.

I think it's #32.

I expect Bruce to be called up and starting in left in place of Adam Dunn.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Evidently, he will be here Tuesday!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Myself, and thirty-eight other RedsZoners probably feeling a tad stupid right now.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?