Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Game Thread Policy

Re: New Game Thread Policy

Hopefully some of the folks who have not been participating on the game threads because of the problems will look at this as a new beginning and contribute to a better game thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

The new rules/guidelines look good.

I especially like the idea that the mods will be watching out for "beating dead horses" and those who intentionally "bait" controversy. My biggest complaint was that every thread pretty much had become predictable.

Kudos to the Admins and Mods for their work on this!
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I think the moderators should have distinct lines for scrutinizing infractions. I recently had a harsh judgment on me which I found to be excessive. I had no warning even though that was policy. On top of that I DID write a polite letter to the mod but they didn't allow the respect to respond. Letting moderators make judgment calls without distinct lines of infraction is too open ended. On one hand it's said the single word statements will be accepted, then on the other hand they may not. That leaves certain mods that have grievances the power to do as they wish, not within solid guide lines. I think a single warning should be issued and once is enough, but taking someone out of the thread without a single word of why is as bad as the one word rule. If a mod has time to throw someone out they have time to throw a warning out first.

No, I don't think an individual moderator should make their own ruling on an open ended judgment call. It's not a sportscaster thread, it's redszoners reacting to what's happening in the game. There should be a clear line of how many one word responses can be made, and a warning so no one over steps their authority.

1 thing the mods missed is that the word "KABLAMO" is a more than acceptable 1 word response, and needs no further explanation.

I think the rules for the board ARE distinct 37Red. Several mods have already stated they will not be banning people for non-obscene one word posts. There is no way we can catalogue every specific instance or sentence that is allowed or not. ANY moderation on any board is a judgement call.

Without seeming too rude, I'd remind you that you don't have to post in the GTs. If the moderation here seems too draconian, please feel free to post at Cincy.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    3 – All infractions levied are at the discretion of the moderation staff. Each moderator is a unique human being. Some moderate differently than others and each has his or her moderating style. Do not complain publicly about a certain moderator’s decision. You may PM a moderator to voice an opinion
    The rules overall look reasonable and fair. But I would like to add, in reference to the above rule, that just as posters shouldn't publicly call out or complain about a mod's decision..... mod's should also not publicly do the same to a poster(s).

You guys have a tough job. I (we) all understand that. But just as you expect the members to use discretion and be respectful. So should mods. If they have a "problem" with a poster, then deal with it privately.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I went back to get information from your first post but I lost my reply when I did, twice. I'll write you a letter and PM it to you so you and I can get a better perspective of how we each feel. It's obvious we, er I, can't express what I think about the one rule.

Good night

Thank you Gac, I appreciate and respect your response.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Without seeming too rude, I'd remind you that you don't have to post in the GTs. If the moderation here seems too draconian, please feel free to post at Cincy.com.

Long standing member, long time friend.

Is this an example of the new attitude?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post

You posted what I was thinking, TC.

Those kind of responses is what starts a fight in the GT. And yet, we see it here.

I don't think there is any hope. I really don't. Two games and we'll be back to nothing again. And I was really thinking this could work.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Guys we want to hear from y'all. This is your chance to vent, just to let us know we're knuckleheads or that you're on board.
    Jake, you asked for input and for vents. I think your response to 37red is a bit harsh.

That really does sound rude, however, especially when posited towards a member who has been here since the year 2000. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    You posted what I was thinking, TC.

Those kind of responses is what starts a fight in the GT. And yet, we see it here.

I don't think there is any hope. I really don't. Two games and we'll be back to nothing again. And I was really thinking this could work.
    It can work, if people treat others with respect and stop instigating fights with one another. That's really the only reason we're here, I don't feel we're asking much of anyone. We've stated the new policies, and really they are not much different than what you agree to when you sign up for redszone. The bottom line is the game threads weren't working, and need extra moderation. I understand the emotion of a game thread is going to lead to some "less than stellar" responses, I've been guilty of it in the past myself, I'm personally not going to punish people for "one word" reponses unless they are profane or people start complaining about them.

I think what we are trying to get across, is that the rules have now been clearly stated and are not hard to follow. If you don't understand something, feel free to ask one of us, as it is near impossible to cover EVERYTHING in the grey areas. Now here comes the part that people seem to be struggling with, and I can see how it comes across as rude, is that the game threads were closed for a reason, they were a mess and people were warned. Now the warnings are over, so those that feel they cannot abide by the rules may be better off not posting in there at all, for their own sake if nothing else. I am here to be part of the solution, and am honored to do so, so if ANY of you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask me.

WV...there is hope. Just give it/us a chance.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

I am sorry if that seemed rude, or harsh, but we cannot outline every possible scenario good or bad that we might have. I snapped a response after I asked for vents or responses and that WAS unfair. I apologize 37Red if you took that personally - it does read that way but that wasn't my intent.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post

I certainly hope there will be respect on both sides of the equation for this.

The game threads are a part of RZ that many people enjoy (myself included). There simply will be zero tolerance for people who ruin the experience for others and/or post content to the board that is not in keeping with Boss & GIK's vision and mission statement for the website. As such, there are rules and guidelines that we should all be expected to follow.

99% of the people who post to the game threads do a great job and have fun with it. The new rules are only in place to keep the 1% from derailing the experience with baiting posts, excessive attacks on players, personal attacks on other posters and the like. The stuff we're all talking about is basic stuff that anyone on here can figure out -- if you need to be warned to not go insult other posters, troll for arguments, or start running players and coaches into the ground with multiple posts then I really don't know what to tell you. Like I said, though, the vast majority of people won't notice any difference in the moderation of the game threads because they're already doing the right thing.

The game threads are there to have fun while watching the Reds, and we (I) want to make sure they're a place where everyone can do just that. Hopefully we can all work together to make that happen.

Your Friendly Game Thread Mod,
    - Caveat
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?