Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 115

Thread: New Game Thread Policy

  1. #61
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,671

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    One word posts aren't technically against any of the rules.

    When one-word posts (e.g. "Pathetic!" or "Ridiculous!" etc.) are repeated excessively, they begin to violate Rule #5: Trolling and General Nuisance posting.

    Part of what makes something a "nuisance" is when it drives people to complain about it. I'm not saying that's the sole criterion for determining when a poster is warned or bounced from the GT, but if someone is causing general nuisance to the GT forum and other people are complaining, I'm not going to sit back and just let things happen.

    And seriously, are we really fighting about this? How many one-word posts does ANYONE make in a given day/game thread? Let's all back up and have a tad bit of perspective here.
    You're right Caveat. The only reason I brought it up was because others may construe "if enough people complain about it" as being too much of a generality and arbitrary in reference with dealing with regular board members who know each other well and interact on the GTs daily. I really don't participate on the GTs much at all. But if I did, I could care less if a member I see daily on there says one worded responses like "pathetic" or "ridiculous" a lot on the GTs.

    If Corey Patterson gets five ABs, is five "pathetics" and "ridiculous'" too much and considered trolling?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    If Corey Patterson gets five ABs, is five "pathetics" and "ridiculous'" too much and considered trolling?
    I don't think PM's count GAC if they do I am DOA.

  4. #63
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,671

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Time for me to go to bed

    "Everybody's talking 'bout Dusty Baker, lineups bad, will he get it, Bronson Arroyo, he's been had, good ol' Griffey, Patterson iffy, Adam Dunn, walks, no runs, bullpen arms, down on the farm, defense poor, WHY CAN'T WE SCORE!

    But all we are saaaaaaying.....
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  5. #64
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,365

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    After reviewing this thread, I'm pretty confident that the "issue" hasn't been fixed. It's interesting that the announcement about the "Infractions System" has now been removed. It was a solid system that, if properly utilized, would have actually made this whole discussion (and closing the game thread forum) moot.

    There was simply no reason to close the game thread forum in the first place as there was already a system in place to properly moderate it. And now we've waited nearly a month to hear about a solution that appears to be far less tolerant than the system already in place but never used?

    I'm not even a consistent game thread poster, but I'll be darned if I enter that venue to do anything but read it going forward.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

  6. #65
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,144

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    After reviewing this thread, I'm pretty confident that the "issue" hasn't been fixed. It's interesting that the announcement about the "Infractions System" has now been removed. It was a solid system that, if properly utilized, would have actually made this whole discussion (and closing the game thread forum) moot.

    There was simply no reason to close the game thread forum in the first place as there was already a system in place to properly moderate it. And now we've waited nearly a month to hear about a solution that appears to be far less tolerant than the system already in place but never used?

    I'm not even a consistent game thread poster, but I'll be darned if I enter that venue to do anything but read it going forward.
    One more comment from me. I like that the administration has decided that there should be ground rules, even if they were the same ground rules that were in place anyway. The problem is, like Steel has said, the rules were never enforced per se. The little outburst in the final thread that closed the game threads could have been handled with a swift banning of the parties involved, but instead we closed the game threads and came up with the new rules, which are pretty much the old rules with a couple of zingers about one word posts and the like. Now we have a whole new group of guys who will operate as overseers of the game thread watching the every move, but I imagine ignoring the one thing that causes the conflict--arrogant and flippant posts made to prove someone is more intelligent that the other poster. About baseball and the Reds.

    OK, so where does that put us? Back to square one IMHO with a new layer of administration that will, being human, use their own predudices to make decisions on banning or whatever. Redleg Jake made it all the more obvious with his flippant post to 37Red, which he has admitted was a little over board, but that is the crux of the problem. In a game thread, who has the descipline to think before posting? It's a game and things happen during the game that raises emotions. We all have our ideas and hopes for a game thread, and we all have our expectations of what it will be. Unfortunately, we don't all think the same and off the cuff remarks can spark flippant remarks which cause conflict. What is over the line is now up to the new mods (I do not envy you).

    Some time ago, i complained publicly about the game threads being a little too nasty for my tastes because of rudeness and the arrogant attitudes I expressed earlier. One of the results of this was the forming of the membership ORG forum, which should have solved all our problems, but it did not. We forgot that a losing team breeds strong opinons and they will exist until the team starts winning again. So here we are with a new game thread to begin on Monday with the same people and more administration. Will it help. I seriously doubt it. Only when the fans on here respect opinions that might be the direct opposite of others will we get along. And I don't expect that anytime soon unfortunately. But if game threads do not exist, this is a pretty boring place, so have at it, but be careful and respect others whether you like them or not.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  7. #66
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,642

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Now we have a whole new group of guys who will operate as overseers of the game thread watching the every move, but I imagine ignoring the one thing that causes the conflict--arrogant and flippant posts made to prove someone is more intelligent that the other poster. About baseball and the Reds.
    It takes two to tango -- if you have a problem with people being arrogant, then just put them on ignore or don't respond to them. Arrogance isn't a crime, it isn't a violation of the board's rules until it gets into the realm of trolling, nuisance behavior or beating a subject to death. And yes, that has been and always will be a judgment call. I welcome your help on that subject -- please report posts that you think ARE nuisances and do cross the line from being merely arrogant to deliberate attempts to bait others into an argument.

    Bottom line is, we're not talking Bushido stuff here; your honor as a Reds fan or a baseball fan is not at stake over anything that is said on the message board. Naturally, feel free to debate and go over the points, but simultaneously don't feel compelled to make the counter argument just because the point is sitting out there unrefuted.

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    In a game thread, who has the descipline to think before posting?
    If people want to avoid extended vacations from the forum, they'd better figure out how to discipline themselves pretty quick.

    "I was ticked off" doesn't fly as an excuse anywhere else, it shouldn't fly as an excuse here. If you (the general "you") cannot control your emotions enough to follow the forum rules while watching the game, then the game thread probably isn't the place for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    It was a solid system that, if properly utilized, would have actually made this whole discussion (and closing the game thread forum) moot.
    Part of the reason, according to my understanding, that the system wasn't properly utilized was due largely to the fact that moderators weren't always around in the game thread until after things had gotten out of hand. With the additional moderators, hopefully they'll always be at least one mod available to enforce the system that has always been in place.

    And, I hope you do stop by Steel. Your insight is greatly appreciated and is one of the things that has kept me coming back to this site over the years.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  8. #67
    Member redsrule2500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Well here's my 2 cents: This is completely ridiculous....goes way above and beyond what a game thread should be. Regulation to this extent takes any and all enjoyment out of it.

    Seriously, what the heck....
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    ďIím a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.Ē - Sean Casey

  9. #68
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,671

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    How can some say it's not "fixed" when it hasn't even been given a chance yet?

    To those that say the "problem" is not fixed....

    1) what do you say the problem was? Do you acknowledge that there obviously was some sort of problem?

    2) what would you do (suggest) to rectify the problem? They are openly asking for our suggestions on the new policy. That doesn't sound draconian.

    You're griping before it even takes effect. Geez!

    Policing a forum and GT that includes so many diverse personalities and opinions is not an easy task. There is always that chance you're going to upset someone, or any actions you may take be construed as draconian, favoritism, whatever.

    Everyone has their own ideas about what the GTs should/shouldn't be about as far as subject matter and content.

    A wise man once said "You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all the time". Of course someone ended up shooting him.

    But what he said rings true.

    It seems to me that a few, on this thread in particular, took offense to a couple responses on here that included the statement "If people don't like the new policy or have a problem with adhering to it, then maybe find somewhere else to post, because it will no longer be tolerated here."

    Some saw that to be rude and maybe arrogant. I don't think that as new mods, just given the job, that was their intent at all. Cut'em some slack.

    I don't know if there is a more diplomatic or "softer" way to have put something that needed to be said without it being misconstrued as such.

    C'mon.... any of us who have been on this forum for any length of time, and interacted, have got to know these mods (even these new ones) pretty well. I've even actually met with some of them outside of here at games and get-togethers. Overall (not isolated situations) they've been pretty fair and objective.

    But it seems to me that some are simply looking to be critical regardless of what they say/do. Any actions taken were going to be over scrutinized, met with skepticism, and questioned IMO.

    I don't think you're being fair to the mods. Especially the new ones who haven't even "clocked into the job" yet.

    Way to welcome them aboard.

    OK - how about if they say NO GAME THREADS PERIOD because they don't want to have to police the mess.

    How would any of you like to have their job and babysit this bunch of dysfunctional, frustrated Red fans? Any takers? C'mon, step forward!

    I personally don't think they are going to be "sitting on" everything that people post, putting it under a microscope, looking for an excuse to pounce. To try and do so would drive them insane and make their job very, very difficult. They know that already.

    I've been on forums, like the old Cincy.com and MLB. com where there is no sense of order or decorum. It was chaos and madness.

    You will always have that minority (and I think that is who is being addressed) who feel they have some sort of right to say and do whatever they please, and to use a forum to enact their own personal agenda irregardless of what actions that may constitute.

    Those people, for the most part, not always, are the ones who don't like rules. They see it as an infringement.

    Another wise man once said that rules (laws) were not made for the law-abiding, but for for those who break and violate them. Of course they dragged this guy outside the city limits and beheaded him.

    So yeah, you moderators have a thankless job.

    We all are like those kids hanging out/playing at a playground, and the mods are the parents. As long as the kids play nice the parents are content staying out of the way, sitting on the benches, reading their books, eating their Quaker Rice snacks, and are simply THERE in case some kid suddenly decides he doesn't want to play nice anymore, and throws sand in another kid's face. That parent intervenes to restore order.

    And lets face it.... there are some kids that just love to do that, and see if they can get away with it.... "Cause I'm a problem child!"

    Play nice. Don't throw sand in other's faces - which IMHO doesn't mean you can't criticize or disagree with each other or decisions/situations that are unfolding on that field while watching or listening to the game - and I don't think we'll have any problems.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  10. #69
    Member TeamCasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    TeamBoone's Attic
    Posts
    12,317

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It seems to me that a few, on this thread in particular, took offense to a couple responses on here that included the statement "If people don't like the new policy or have a problem with adhering to it, then maybe find somewhere else to post, because it will no longer be tolerated here."

    Some saw that to be rude and maybe arrogant. I don't think that as new mods, just given the job, that was their intent at all. Cut'em some slack.

    I don't know if there is a more diplomatic or "softer" way to have put something that needed to be said without it being misconstrued as such.

    The mods opened the door for commentary.

    37Red commented.

    He was shut down unfairly.

    Jake acknowledged that and resolved it like a gentlemen. He uprighted the ship.

    We should move on. Nice job by both of them.
    Pots and Kettles

  11. #70
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,949

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    I don't know if the new system will ultimately mean improvement but the game threads have an incredible potential to be something special. Hats off to those who volunteered to moderate the GTs. Lets not forget the huge commitment and workload they've agreed to take on and IMHO, the GT mods represent enlightened choices by GIK/Boss and Co.

    I've pretty much stopped spending time in the GTs and find myself considering taking a sabbatical from redszone more and more. Often making an argument means having to become defensive because it also can mean you'll be called arrogant, incurious, a parrot, slavish, simply seeking a pedestal to preen upon, a hater who really doesn't even like the Reds but really just wants to take advantage of this great community (I guess much like a leech), or even a delusional plagiarizer with a god complex but lacking an inability for original thought.

    In the past, comments/discussions in the GTs have been fertile ground for stimulating threads where someone has said, "hmmmm, really?" and then dug deeper to find an answer thus stimulating more great discussion. It takes a lot of time and effort to post quality content like that though. Recently, I've at least found myself asking-given some of the grief that seems to go along with it more and more- is it really worth the effort?

    I guess the point is-I welcome more moderation.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  12. #71
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    The mods opened the door for commentary.

    37Red commented.

    He was shut down unfairly.

    Jake acknowledged that and resolved it like a gentlemen. He uprighted the ship.

    We should move on. Nice job by both of them.


    Exactly.

    Why don't we give it a try before we condemn it to failure?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  13. #72
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Often making an argument means having to become defensive because it also can mean you'll be called arrogant, incurious, a parrot, slavish, simply seeking a pedestal to preen upon, a hater who really doesn't even like the Reds but really just wants to take advantage of this great community (I guess much like a leech), or even a delusional plagiarizer with a god complex but lacking an inability for original thought.

    What's your point?

    :
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  14. #73
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,949

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    What's your point?

    :
    Hey, I didn't even comment on things sent in PMs......
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  15. #74
    Moderator Tommyjohn25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fairborn, OH
    Posts
    1,848

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Listen to that GAC guy. He is a smart and brilliant man.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

  16. #75
    Moderator Tommyjohn25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fairborn, OH
    Posts
    1,848

    Re: New Game Thread Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Well here's my 2 cents: This is completely ridiculous....goes way above and beyond what a game thread should be. Regulation to this extent takes any and all enjoyment out of it.

    Seriously, what the heck....

    Play nice and you likely won't even notice a difference. It really is that black and white.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25