Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Majewski back/Fogg to the DL

Majewski back/Fogg to the DL

"Louisville added another pitching change after last night's game. Middle reliever Gary Majewski (2-1, 3.76 ERA) was called up by Cincinnati."

From Louisville CJ
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Majewski back?

Well, fairs' fair. He's pitched well down there.
    Of course so has Herrera, but I think this move will be to sit the guy at the end of the bench and be used as emergency pitcher until the #5 spot comes back around.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    "Louisville added another pitching change after last night's game. Middle reliever Gary Majewski (2-1, 3.76 ERA) was called up by Cincinnati."

From Louisville CJ
    Interesting. Perhaps Fogg went down and the Reds are shoring up the bullpen in light of recent heavy use. Just a guess.

Before fans explode on this, Maj has been lights out at AAA lately. Striking out a lot of people. I hope the fans give him a chance after many bad previous stints.

I don't guess Fogg is going to AAA, if it's Fogg I'm guessing DFA. Could also be someone like Weathers with an arm issue we don't know about, or the end of the line for a Valentin.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Before fans explode on this, Maj has been lights out at AAA lately. Striking out a lot of people. I hope the fans give him a chance after many bad previous stints.
    I do too. He's got a good arm, and when he's locating it well, he's useful in the pen. This team needs help in middle relief! (Plus, it's always cool to have a dead ringer for John Wilkes Booth on your team!)

IMO, Gary Majewsjki, Todd Coffey and Matt Belisle all suffer from the same "disease." On one hand, all three of them have very good arms, can bring it up there, and have good stretches where they can pitch really well.

But on the other hand, they also tend to not change speeds, and when they miss- they all tend to miss right over the heart of the plate.

Mazzone said a couple of useful things yesterday in the broadcast. First, that he'd rather have guys pitching low and away, and if they miss, it's a ball, rather than try to pitch to the inside corner, and if they miss it's a HR. Secondly, that any decent MLB hitter can time any fastball thrown, if that's all that is thrown to them.
    sorry we're boring

I really dont like this move, as long as Magic man is at the end of the bench Im good, if he sees action Im looking straight at Dusty on this, Im sorry Ive given Magic the benefit of the doubt about 5 times to many.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I really dont like this move, as long as Magic man is at the end of the bench Im good, if he sees action Im looking straight at Dusty on this, Im sorry Ive given Magic the benefit of the doubt about 5 times to many.

Not if, but when.

He will get plenty of PT.

Senor Votto

Not exactly who I thought would get the call. Maybe they'll put Weathers on the DL for Majewski. Send Fogg down and call up Maloney later.

I will sure give him a chance. The 'pen is absolutely gassed, and it was imperative they get a fresh arm up here to be ready to come in for Cueto somewhere around the 6th.

I am hoping Fogg is DFA, and then another move is made tomorrow to get Maloney up here to pitch mid-week. Whatever else Maloney's ceiling is, or isn't, I would rather give the kid a chance to start his journey than watch Fogg face the Phillies lefties in Philly. That will be ugly...

Great.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    IMO, Gary Majewsjki, Todd Coffey and Matt Belisle all suffer from the same "disease." On one hand, all three of them have very good arms, can bring it up there, and have good stretches where they can pitch really well.
    I think all three of these guys buckled under the weight of the expectations here. Maj trying to justify "the Trade," Coffey as the key arm in the pen, and Belisle trying to solidify the back of the rotation. I think they could go on to decent careers as middle relief guys some where when the expectations are low and they're just brought in as "a guy for the mix in spring." But, I don't think it will ever happen in Cincinnati for any of these three.

I'd shine 'em up in AAA and put 'em in a deal as sweetener instead of having to burn a younger player for the same purpose. Herrara should be the guy up now IMO. If the org thinks he needs more time, then I'd turn to a Jon Adkins or an Adam Pettyjohn. Those vets would be getting their "no expectations" opportunities in Cincy just like I think Coffey, Maj and Belisle need somewhere else.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Walt's first clunker.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Awesome or something.

If it means Fogg is a thing of the past, then I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think all three of these guys buckled under the weight of the expectations here. Maj trying to justify "the Trade," Coffey as the key arm in the pen, and Belisle trying to solidify the back of the rotation. I think they could go on to decent careers as middle relief guys some where when the expectations are low and they're just brought in as "a guy for the mix in spring." But, I don't think it will ever happen in Cincinnati for any of these three.

I'd shine 'em up in AAA and put 'em in a deal as sweetener instead of having to burn a younger player for the same purpose. Herrara should be the guy up now IMO. If the org thinks he needs more time, then I'd turn to a Jon Adkins or an Adam Pettyjohn. Those vets would be getting their "no expectations" opportunities in Cincy just like I think Coffey, Maj and Belisle need somewhere else.
    The difference between Maj and Coffey/Belisle is that Maj had a few very good years for the Nationals. Look at the numbers, while Maj was never a high strikeout guy, he allowed less than a hit/inning in those seasons. With the Reds so far, he has been in the Coffey/Belisle league, true.

Herrera is a lefty. Reds already have three lefties in the pen, which is already questionable, no way you want four.

There's also the fact that Maj was injured when acquired. It may just be that it has taken him two years to get healthy, which does happen. Or maybe he'll revert to form and get tatooed again. We'll see, but I think this is the correct move at this time.

I'm sure it's safe to play with fire this time. No way will the Reds get burned.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?