Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

I'm calling it right now folks, Jay Bruce is going to homer in his first major league game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

But seriously, I hope we don't get our hopes up too high for him. I'm 100% confident Bruce will out produce Corey Patterson by a large margin, but I do understand that he will struggle at times like all young players do. Evan Longoria of the Rays is a similar prospect to Bruce and while he's had plenty of bright spots, he's also struggled. His overall line is .247/.321/.466/ - .787 OPS though he has belted seven homeruns in 146 atbats. I think Bruce will hit somewhere along .275-.280/.325/.500+ with 15-20 homeruns if he plays everyday, and that is very solid for right now.

According to Baseball Digest Daily, the Reds will promote top prospect Jay Bruce tomorrow. The 21 year-old is mashing to the tune of .364/.393/.630 in Triple A. Said Rob Neyer today: "Has there ever been a more obvious call-up in the history of the sport?" Bruce's promotion may signal the end of Corey Patterson in Cincinnati.

We can only hope that Patterson is gone!!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

again I think we need to hold on to Patterson. He is a solid defensive replacement and we could certainly do worse with a left off the bench. Plus why cut a guy and then pay him 2 mil for the rest of the year.

I think we'd complain a whole lot less about Corey if he wasnt batting lead off

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    But seriously, I hope we don't get our hopes up too high for him. I'm 100% confident Bruce will out produce Corey Patterson by a large margin, but I do understand that he will struggle at times like all young players do. Evan Longoria of the Rays is a similar prospect to Bruce and while he's had plenty of bright spots, he's also struggled. His overall line is .247/.321/.466/ - .787 OPS though he has belted seven homeruns in 146 atbats. I think Bruce will hit somewhere along .275-.280/.325/.500+ with 15-20 homeruns if he plays everyday, and that is very solid for right now.
    I look for Bruce to put up Votto type numbers his first partial year.
    .321 .360 .548 908

I am also looking for some intangibles that I think that might come with Dunn, Phillips, Votto and Bruce together as teammates, I look for them to bring some competitive drive and energy to this team along with Hairston and Freel the rest of the way. As a group I think that they will take over this team and extinguish that old losing low energy cloud that seems to be a part of the present team.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 05-27-2008 at 12:22 AM.

Now I can't wait to see what moves will correspond with this, and with the movement throughout the system.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Now I can't wait to see what moves will correspond with this, and with the movement throughout the system.
    Me too, this was just a good start. I think that Jocketty will start/is moving on what you are talking about.

Hopefully the next move is replacing Mike Lincoln with Josh Roenicke.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I look for Bruce to put up Votto type numbers his first partial year.
    .321 .360 .548 908

I am also looking for some intangibles that I think that might come with Dunn, Phillips, Votto and Bruce together as teammates, I look for them to bring some competitive drive and energy to this team along with Hairston and Freel the rest of the way. As a group I think that they will take over this team and extinguish that old losing low energy cloud that seems to be a part of the present team.

i would love that.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Hopefully the next move is replacing Mike Lincoln with Josh Roenicke.
    Roenicke has control issues. He's not ready...

Just a little fwiw, but Adam Dunn went 1-for-3 with a single and intentional walk against Matt Clement in his major league debut. Austin Kearns went 1-for-3 with a RBI single and HBP against Carlos Hernandez in his debut.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Roenicke has control issues. He's not ready...
    He had a little spurt of wildness early in the season but has only walked two batters in his last 10 appearances (8.2 innings). His power arm is needed in the Reds pen IMO.

He had a little spurt of wildness early in the season but has only walked two batters in his last 10 appearances (8.2 innings). His power arm is needed in the Reds pen IMO.

i agree as well. he has good stuff.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Just a little fwiw, but Adam Dunn went 1-for-3 with a single and intentional walk against Matt Clement in his major league debut. Austin Kearns went 1-for-3 with a RBI single and HBP against Carlos Hernandez in his debut.
    And Josh Hamilton went yard.

Well in his first start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    There isn't just one move that can fix this team vs the competition, but it is a start.
    Jay Bruce helps, but this team was in pretty good shape before too. I understand that most, if not all, of RedsZone will disagree with that, but even the worst GM in history could have called up Jay Bruce.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Turn Off Ads?