Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredfan40 View Post
    I agree he has done nothing to lead me to believe that they won't leave him in Dayton the rest of the year...

Anyone know how his catching has been lately...I know early he was struggling behind the dish...
    I was at the game last night and the other team was constantly running on him but I really don't put it as much on Mesoraco as I do on the pitchers not holding runners on or their slow delivery to the plate. Like the poster a few above said his footwork getting out of the crouch to throw probably needs to improve some but he does have a strong arm. He threw one runner out last night and the rest of his throws were pretty much on the mark just a little late which is not too bad considering the runners were getting huge jumps off the Dayton pitchers. That is the first time I have seen Mesoraco catch and I did not really see any big problem defensively and I do like his arm strength.

Offensively he hit a home run to left last night. So he continues to do pretty well at the plate.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    After 68 ABs his line is now .279/.347/.471. An OPS of .818. And he doesn't turn 20 years old for another couple of weeks. If he keeps this up you have to think he stays in Dayton all year, and if his OPS is around .800 at the end of the season he's going to be easily in the top five of Reds prospect lists.
    If he puts up an .800 OPS in Dayton all year he will be making a legit argument to be the Reds #1/2 prospect.

No way you move him to AA this year... High A at the most. Catchers don't move up the system like other positions. He certainly could work his way into our top 1-4 prospects but he's still a good couple years away if we want to him to CATCH in the MLB

If he stays in Dayton all year and has success (OPS around .775 or so), it will have been a VERY positive year for Mesoraco. And the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    No way you move him to AA this year... High A at the most. Catchers don't move up the system like other positions. He certainly could work his way into our top 1-4 prospects but he's still a good couple years away if we want to him to CATCH in the MLB
    I leave Mesoraco in Dayton all season. He was a drafted high schooler last rather than an advanced college player ala Frazier. I keep him on the Bruce track for this year - Bruce was in Dayton for the full year 2006 - and then we'll see where he is by the end of the season and early next season.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

If he stays in Dayton all year and has success (OPS around .775 or so), it will have been a VERY positive year for Mesoraco. And the organization.
    I agree. Would be a nice lean in the right direction for a draft class that has good potential and a long ways to go.

I leave Mesoraco in Dayton all season.
    Without question. And if he starts to struggle, I'd send him to Billings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I leave Mesoraco in Dayton all season. He was a drafted high schooler last rather than an advanced college player ala Frazier. I keep him on the Bruce track for this year - Bruce was in Dayton for the full year 2006 - and then we'll see where he is by the end of the season and early next season.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If he puts up an .800 OPS in Dayton all year he will be making a legit argument to be the Reds #1/2 prospect.
    Indeed, that would make him easily in the top five.

I think the hold back will be learning the nuances of catching. He definitely should stay in Dayton for the full year just for that reason. I see him easily eclipsing an .800 OPS and sustaining that level.

The average for Dayton is .695 and the League Average is .685, so that would be good. The only players better than .800 for Dayton right now are Mesoraco (.818), Frazier (1.000), and Waring (.838). Mesoraco has played in half as many games as the starters, though. He's in a platoon at Catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The average for Dayton is .695 and the League Average is .685, so that would be good. The only players better than .800 for Dayton right now are Mesoraco (.818), Frazier (1.000), and Waring (.838). Mesoraco has played in half as many games as the starters, though. He's in a platoon at Catcher.
    He plays about 85% of the time, he just didn't start until after May began when he was called up. He doesn't always start at catcher, sometimes he is the DH.

He plays about 85% of the time, he just didn't start until after May began when he was called up. He doesn't always start at catcher, sometimes he is the DH.

Yes. In the last 12 Dayton games he's played in 10 of them starting all of them with 9 starts at Catcher and 1 at DH. He's been climbing up the batting order from 6th to 5th and the last 3 games or so, he's been batting 4th. The last time he DH'd was 11 games ago (9 games for him).

He had a rough day yesterday being hit by a pitch, picked off, and caught stealing. But, he did get on base 2 of 3 times.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-04-2008 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Yes. In the last 12 Dayton games he's played in 10 of them starting all of them with 9 starts at Catcher and 1 at DH. He's been climbing up the batting order from 6th to 5th and the last 3 games or so, he's been batting 4th. The last time he DH'd was 11 games ago (9 games for him).

He had a rough day yesterday being hit by a pitch, picked off, and caught stealing. But, he did get on base 2 of 3 times.
    Are you just reading a box score? Because most of the time they include a PO as a CS but its actually just one play.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Are you just reading a box score? Because most of the time they include a PO as a CS but its actually just one play.
    Thats what happened. He was picked off and it also went as a caught stealing.

Turn Off Ads?