Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

I sure hope this kid becomes a star. He has a very chantable name.

MES-OR-A-CO clap clap clap-clap-clap

and there isn't much question that he's heating up.

What constitutes a good LD%?
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So hitting .367/.441/.700 over his last 8 games after hitting .136/.208/.136 in his first 7 games isn't heating up?
    Too small of a sample size for me. It's an improvement to be sure, but let's see how well it's sustained over a bit longer period of time.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Too small of a sample size for me. It's an improvement to be sure, but let's see how well it's sustained over a bit longer period of time.
    Well its 30% of his season....

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    For his age/level, 13% is about average.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think "heating up" is a bit extreme. But, we can agree to disagree.
    That maybe so but at least he is showing signs of life in A ball at what the age of 19?
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 05-27-2008 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Jay Bruce, at age 19 in Dayton: 16%

For what it's worth.

Mesoraco's biggest weakness right now is his ability to receive pitches. He has a strong arm even though he has thrown out only one runner. He needs a little improvement on his footwork in coming out of his crouch to throw, but he is a year out of high school. As far as receiving pitches, his first game was the worst I have ever seen at the pro level, but he has not had another game like that one. He still is way, way below average in this area, but he has very little experience catching pitchers throwing 92 with 82 mph sliders. Bottom line: He has improved in every area since his first game with the Dragons and that is the sign of a guy that has a chance. Players who have the ability to improve as the competition improves are the ones who make it. I was skeptical of this kid at first and he has a long way to go but I like what I have seen.

Count me in the group that doesn't understand how an 1.141 OPS isn't heating up.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I was skeptical of this kid at first and he has a long way to go but I like what I have seen.
    You seem to have something of an inside perspective. True?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Mesoraco's biggest weakness right now is his ability to receive pitches. He has a strong arm even though he has thrown out only one runner. He needs a little improvement on his footwork in coming out of his crouch to throw, but he is a year out of high school. As far as receiving pitches, his first game was the worst I have ever seen at the pro level, but he has not had another game like that one. He still is way, way below average in this area, but he has very little experience catching pitchers throwing 92 with 82 mph sliders. Bottom line: He has improved in every area since his first game with the Dragons and that is the sign of a guy that has a chance. Players who have the ability to improve as the competition improves are the ones who make it. I was skeptical of this kid at first and he has a long way to go but I like what I have seen.
    I wonder if the Reds could have Johnny Bench spend some time working with him.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I wonder if the Reds could have Johnny Bench spend some time working with him.
    Couldn't hurt, just as long as they don't ask his opinion on Mesoraco's curveball.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Couldn't hurt, just as long as they don't ask his opinion on Mesoraco's curveball.
    LOL, good one.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Still heating up... average up to .286.

Keep on keepin' on, Devin!

After 68 ABs his line is now .279/.347/.471. An OPS of .818. And he doesn't turn 20 years old for another couple of weeks. If he keeps this up you have to think he stays in Dayton all year, and if his OPS is around .800 at the end of the season he's going to be easily in the top five of Reds prospect lists.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    After 68 ABs his line is now .279/.347/.471. An OPS of .818. And he doesn't turn 20 years old for another couple of weeks. If he keeps this up you have to think he stays in Dayton all year, and if his OPS is around .800 at the end of the season he's going to be easily in the top five of Reds prospect lists.
    I agree he has done nothing to lead me to believe that they won't leave him in Dayton the rest of the year...

Anyone know how his catching has been lately...I know early he was struggling behind the dish...

Turn Off Ads?