Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    I sure hope this kid becomes a star. He has a very chantable name.

    MES-OR-A-CO clap clap clap-clap-clap

    and there isn't much question that he's heating up.

    What constitutes a good LD%?
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

    ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,811

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So hitting .367/.441/.700 over his last 8 games after hitting .136/.208/.136 in his first 7 games isn't heating up?
    Too small of a sample size for me. It's an improvement to be sure, but let's see how well it's sustained over a bit longer period of time.

  4. #18
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,865

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Too small of a sample size for me. It's an improvement to be sure, but let's see how well it's sustained over a bit longer period of time.
    Well its 30% of his season....

  5. #19
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,865

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    What constitutes a good LD%?
    For his age/level, 13% is about average.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    642

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think "heating up" is a bit extreme. But, we can agree to disagree.
    That maybe so but at least he is showing signs of life in A ball at what the age of 19?
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 05-27-2008 at 06:59 AM.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    What constitutes a good LD%?
    Jay Bruce, at age 19 in Dayton: 16%

    For what it's worth.

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    961

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Mesoraco's biggest weakness right now is his ability to receive pitches. He has a strong arm even though he has thrown out only one runner. He needs a little improvement on his footwork in coming out of his crouch to throw, but he is a year out of high school. As far as receiving pitches, his first game was the worst I have ever seen at the pro level, but he has not had another game like that one. He still is way, way below average in this area, but he has very little experience catching pitchers throwing 92 with 82 mph sliders. Bottom line: He has improved in every area since his first game with the Dragons and that is the sign of a guy that has a chance. Players who have the ability to improve as the competition improves are the ones who make it. I was skeptical of this kid at first and he has a long way to go but I like what I have seen.

  9. #23
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Count me in the group that doesn't understand how an 1.141 OPS isn't heating up.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,062

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    I was skeptical of this kid at first and he has a long way to go but I like what I have seen.
    You seem to have something of an inside perspective. True?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  11. #25
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Mesoraco's biggest weakness right now is his ability to receive pitches. He has a strong arm even though he has thrown out only one runner. He needs a little improvement on his footwork in coming out of his crouch to throw, but he is a year out of high school. As far as receiving pitches, his first game was the worst I have ever seen at the pro level, but he has not had another game like that one. He still is way, way below average in this area, but he has very little experience catching pitchers throwing 92 with 82 mph sliders. Bottom line: He has improved in every area since his first game with the Dragons and that is the sign of a guy that has a chance. Players who have the ability to improve as the competition improves are the ones who make it. I was skeptical of this kid at first and he has a long way to go but I like what I have seen.
    I wonder if the Reds could have Johnny Bench spend some time working with him.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  12. #26
    Member Oxilon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I wonder if the Reds could have Johnny Bench spend some time working with him.
    Couldn't hurt, just as long as they don't ask his opinion on Mesoraco's curveball.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,673

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Couldn't hurt, just as long as they don't ask his opinion on Mesoraco's curveball.
    LOL, good one.

  14. #28
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Still heating up... average up to .286.

    Keep on keepin' on, Devin!

  15. #29
    Member SMcGavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    After 68 ABs his line is now .279/.347/.471. An OPS of .818. And he doesn't turn 20 years old for another couple of weeks. If he keeps this up you have to think he stays in Dayton all year, and if his OPS is around .800 at the end of the season he's going to be easily in the top five of Reds prospect lists.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    290

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    After 68 ABs his line is now .279/.347/.471. An OPS of .818. And he doesn't turn 20 years old for another couple of weeks. If he keeps this up you have to think he stays in Dayton all year, and if his OPS is around .800 at the end of the season he's going to be easily in the top five of Reds prospect lists.
    I agree he has done nothing to lead me to believe that they won't leave him in Dayton the rest of the year...

    Anyone know how his catching has been lately...I know early he was struggling behind the dish...


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25